alittle embarrassing

Options
wow, I am losing weight, gaining muscle, progressing-- etc. HOWEVER, the increase in vegetables and fruit has left me with the embarrassing problem of flatuence (g-a-s)-- I take Beano, Phyzame all day long-- way over the recommended dosage, but if I don't take it I am in pain with this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I see a dr??:blushing:

Replies

• jessicob
    jessicob Posts: 33
    Options
    make sure you drink tons of water!!! that will help a lot because you have been consuming so much fiber your body needs a way to flush it through the system. YOur body will adjust I dont think you need to see a doctor the same thing happened to me. Then again, I am not a doctor, I just know what worked for me. :) good luck!
  • stephanielarsen
    Options
    I am a family medicine physician. There isn't anything a doctor would be able to do to help you with this problem, except to suggest slowing down on the fruit and vegetable intake a bit and gradually increasing it back up to give your body time to adjust to the new diet.
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are some veggies that are worse than others. I know I can eat certain ones and not have a problem, but still feel like I'm getting my fiber :) You can google the ones that cause the most problems, and these veggies can be more slowly introduced :)

I'm such a veggie lover, and I'm depressed that I cant just eat a bunch of broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, cabbage, etc without my tummy totally swelling up! But, I've learned what I can eat without problems, and how much of the others to eat in moderation.

:smile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am a family medicine physician. There isn't anything a doctor would be able to do to help you with this problem, except to suggest slowing down on the fruit and vegetable intake a bit and gradually increasing it back up to give your body time to adjust to the new diet.

I've been with MFP for a year and a half, you'd THINK my body would have adjusted by now, but, I'm still gassy as a son of a gun most of the time! :laugh: My husband even forbids me to eat the Fiber One bars anymore, since they were a REAL killer! :laugh:
    I've just learned to live with it, and try to control myself when I absolutely have to. Or, if not, let em rip! :laugh:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    It is what it is,,, digesting fruits & veggies generates a lot of gas.

If you like your officemates, think of this as a "Smoke break" for healthy people - go outside and get rid of what you're done with.

If you don't like your officemates, you are now well armed! :laugh:
  • 2catowner
    Options

I've been with MFP for a year and a half, you'd THINK my body would have adjusted by now, but, I'm still gassy as a son of a gun most of the time! :laugh: My husband even forbids me to eat the Fiber One bars anymore, since they were a REAL killer! :laugh:
    I've just learned to live with it, and try to control myself when I absolutely have to. Or, if not, let em rip! :laugh:

WOW! very enlightening-- I eat fiberone bars ALOT... i guess I need to cut back on these!!!
  • BrenNew
    Options

Oh ya, they are fantastic, I LOVE em, but, they just don't love me, so I had to give em up! :sad: :laugh:

WOW! very enlightening-- I eat fiberone bars ALOT... i guess I need to cut back on these!!!
  • BrenNew
    Options
    It is what it is,,, digesting fruits & veggies generates a lot of gas.

If you like your officemates, think of this as a "Smoke break" for healthy people - go outside and get rid of what you're done with.

If you don't like your officemates, you are now well armed! :laugh:

:laugh: LOVED the "well armed" bit! :laugh:
    I was wondering how you're doing Casper, since trying your new thing of upping your numbers. I decided to do it too, and was pleasantly surprised with a 2 pound loss when I weighed myself this morning for my weekly weigh in! Hope you're having good luck too.
    I figure I'll keep with more numbers, unless I start to gain a few weeks in a row, then I'll cut back again.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Just going to agree that the Fiber One bars are horrible on the tummy. I'm in a pain for a whole day if I eat one:blushing:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I had a FiberOne earlier today and I have so much "air' inside I was afraid to go work out and embaress myself, not sure if i'll eat them again!!! :glasses:
  • BrenNew
    Options
    I had a FiberOne earlier today and I have so much "air' inside I was afraid to go work out and embaress myself, not sure if i'll eat them again!!! :glasses:

It's too bad that they ARE that way, cuz they really are great tasting, as well as really filling! But, like I already said, by now, after ALL these months, my body should be well adjusted to them, but it wasn't, so, had to give em up for the sake of my marriage! :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    This too shall pass

:laugh: Oh I crack myself up.

Seriously.........I had this issue in the beginning, but in about a month my body got used to having healthy foods and now I only have the issue occasionally...........like a normal person.

I had a HORRIBLE and funny as heck fiber one story. :blushing:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    This too shall pass

:laugh: Oh I crack myself up.

Seriously.........I had this issue in the beginning, but in about a month my body got used to having healthy foods and now I only have the issue occasionally...........like a normal person.

I had a HORRIBLE and funny as heck fiber one story. :blushing:

Ok, now that you have our interest, how about telling the story??:smile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Ok, if you insist.

I had been on MFP around 4-5 months and hit a plateau. Tamtastic suggested that maybe I needed to up the fiber, and Fiber One bars where pretty good.

I bought a box and specifically told DH not to eat them...and put them with my 'diet' stuff.

I ate one 1st thing in the morning and had an appt in a customer's home in a few hours. I hopped in my car and drove about an hour to their home. I felt some pain in my lower tummy, but I get IBS so thought it was just a touch of that.

I get up to the persons house, lift my hand to knock on the door and RUMMMMMBLE>>>>>>>OMG, what was that?????? I am in pain, and going to explode and this guy is gonna open his door with me standing in a cloud:noway: :laugh:

Turns out he is not home so I run to my car and cancel my appts for the day. When I get home I go to read the box of Fiber Ones to see if it gives a freaking antidote for this horrible pain (not to mention ...well I wont mention:flowerforyou: )

The box is GONE!?!? What...........where can they be? I go into our bedroom and on my DH side of the bed is the box and 5 wrappers. :angry:

I was angry until I realized he is going to be in BIG trouble soon. :laugh: :laugh:

I slept on the couch that night.:flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The couch, huh..You sound like a WISE woman.

I hope it taught him a lesson and that was the last time your hubby absconded with "diet food":laugh: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I hope it taught him a lesson and that was the last time your hubby absconded with "diet food":laugh: :laugh:

Oh yes!! He will come in and ask if it is ok if he eats this or that........it is quite comical!!

I do not reccommend eating 5 fiber one bars at once:laugh: :laugh:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    that is hilarious!!! The Fiber one bars do have that effect but they are so yummy. I eat a half of one at a time and it helps a lot :laugh:
  • BrenNew
    Options

Oh yes!! He will come in and ask if it is ok if he eats this or that........it is quite comical!!

I do not reccommend eating 5 fiber one bars at once:laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: Oh my gosh! I can't even handle ONE, and he ate 5?!!! :noway:
    I ate one pretty much every day for a good 6 or 8 months, but, I just never got used to them, no matter how much water I drank either! I hated giving them up, but, I just had to. Couldn't handle that "ode de fart" scent! :laugh: