Balancing it all off

Options
hi- just a quick question, when you guys go over calories (not a large amount, but something small), do you then try to eat under your calories over the next day or two to balance it off?

I went to a dinner party yesterday and my total calories for the day was about 250 over what I should have had. I don't know if its best to just eat "normal" today and stay in range, or should I instead try to maybe do a hundred less today and tomorrow to balance it?

Thoughts?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise after work and before dinner so I can get those extra calories if I think I'm going to go over. Even a simple walk will burn calories, and it's not much work. If I eat bad food, like take out, that is really unhealhty, then I try to exercise more the next day, not eat less. That's just my opinion.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've heard people do it both ways. I usually try to go a bit lower the next day to even it out - it's like calorie cycling, just unplanned. I don't go too mad though. If I'm massively over on one day, I'll still only cut back a little bit the following days. Depending how you set up MFP, I expect you're still eating at a calorie deficit even having gone over by 250, so it won't stop you losing. So, it's up to you if you want to carry on as normal or shave a little off today's count. If you don't feel like eating as much today anyway, then it works out fine!
  • minnie75kids
    minnie75kids Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the replies! I think I'll probably just cut a few calories back today and tomorrow to even it off, but in future I think I better exercise to earn those calories beforehand!