Nuva ring

Options
Okay do any of you ladies use a nuva ring as birth control?? Ever since I started using it I have been gaining weight. I lost ten pounds then I began this RX and have been gaining weight ever since. I have not changed my eating habits,,,,if anything I have cut back on everything.

Is anyone else having this problem? or am I making an excuse for myself?? I am really upset.

Replies

• stephanielarsen
    Options
    Don't blame it on the ring. Combined hormonal contraceptives do not cause weight gain. The progesterone-only ones do, however.
  • christahollis
    Options
    The other respondant is right...plus...the Nuvaring has a lower level of circulating hormone than any other hormonal contraceptive...meaning that less of it is circulating in your body, it stays mostly in the area where it's actually active.
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    I was actually on the nuva ring for 3 years and never had any side effects with it, so no i had no weight gain with it...depo shot however yes i gained alot of weight on it.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    i also noticed weight gain with nuvaring- but mine was probably from stress eating bc i was a lunatic when i was on it :noway: so i created a lot of drama with my emotional outbursts :explode: :sad: :angry: :noway: and ended up "stress eating" it wasn't good. i gained almost 40lbs - that's all the weight ilost after my son was born. so when i came off the ring i weight as much as i did when i gave birth to him a year earlier. :noway:
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Nuva Ring since Feburary, and I've had no weight gain. I did reach a plateau about that time, but I don't blame that on the Nuva. (I had been dieting for quite some time at that point) I just had to bump up my workout and throw in a little change. I'm losing once again!

BTW, I absolutely LOVE my Nuva!
  • janeneo
    janeneo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The first time I was on it I was a little more emotional than usual, this time, I haven't noticed that problem. (then again the first relationship was not healthy.)

I can't say my weight gain was due to the ring. The weight I gained after I started was from being on prednisone.

I will say though, my boobies are bigger, and for a girl that never had them I can't stop looking.... :laugh: :noway: :tongue: