Sobering thought

Options
JenRLo
JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
I just read this in an article:
One billion people on the planet are hungry while two billion are obese or overweight. http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/PublicHealth/33405 - That's out of about 7 billion people.

Here is the link to the PLoS articles: http://www.plosmedicine.org/home.action

It's a good article about why food industries are not held accountable for the crap they sell to us, yet tobacco and alcohol companies are. This is a personal "soapbox" issue for me. It is cheaper for me to buy processed food to feed my family than buy healthy things. Since I've started eating healthy, my food bill has increased (and I don’t buy organic). I'm eating less and spending more!

Honestly, besides all the other reasons for why it took me so long to change my eating habits, I didn't start eating healthy until I felt financially secure. I wanted to make sure I could afford to lose weight! I don’t think I’m the only one with that reason. Unfortunately, I don’t think anything will change anytime soon. The big food industries have too much of a grip on the nations’ cojones.

OK, off the soapbox now…..

Replies

• kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is saddening
  • MamaBear122010
    Options
    I agree so deeply, this issue makes me very angry so I'm not even going to get myself worked up over it. I'll just let you know that I agree!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. When it costs $5 a gallon for milk, but you can go buy two 2-liters of soda for $2....what's cheaper to have your kids drink (if they aren't drinking water).

It's weird that due to all the Federal welfare for the big Ag companies, processed foods are cheaper on a per calorie basis than the whole foods they were derived from. 'Usually when you process something.....it should get more expensive.

I was going to add....what is it with putting HFCS into applesauce of all things????
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your rising cost of food is offset at all by your healthy lifestyle - like maybe outdoor activities as opposed to movies with 10 gallons of popcorn.

I'm trying to think about this for myself and I believe that might be the case.
    (edit: actually, probably not. I spend a lot on personal trainers and "adventure" type crap now. sigh.)

Just curious.

It's funny where free market has gotten us. In my opinion, it just proves that the majority mindset is afflicted with a major learning disability.
  • christinedadali
    christinedadali Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this is the sad truth...since I have been buying more fruits and veggies for example, my food bill has gone up quite a bit which is sad because we are constantly bombarded with informational articles, news media, and so on saying how we need to be healthier........if the food industry made it more accesible (financialy) then they would actually make more money long term as more people would be open to this option. I could go on about with how the economy is...but I am sure we all have heard enough about that but once again the health industry cannot preach if all they offer is options out of the average individuals means..........
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your rising cost of food is offset at all by your healthy lifestyle - like maybe outdoor activities as opposed to movies with 10 gallons of popcorn.

^^ This is the way I look at it. I'm cooking more. I haven't had pizza in months. I eat fast food rarely, and only a salad (my water bottle is always with me).
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I've learned if you plan out your meals ahead of time when going grocery shopping instead of just throwing whatever in the cart, it's actually cheaper to eat healthy. I can feed all 5 of us for under 20 bucks by going to the grocery store and getting fresh chicken, veggies etc. we ate crap today and it was 40 bucks and one of us didn't even eat.
  • Kalona388
    Kalona388 Posts: 82
    Options
    I know cost was a huge issue for me. I moved to a new state a year ago, and produce costs there were so high I ended up eating junk food and eating out a lot because it was drastically cheaper. I relocated and started healthy eating and getting back on track, but if you're pressed for money, good for you food is often one of the first things to get neglected.
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    I've learned if you plan out your meals ahead of time when going grocery shopping instead of just throwing whatever in the cart, it's actually cheaper to eat healthy.

I see some of this as well. For example, on Sunday night I scramble up 15 eggs with some ground Turkey. I break it into 5 little tupperware containers and throw it in the fridge. There is breakfast for each day. Luckily, I'm not much of a foodie and don't mind eating the same boring crap every day. :)
  • ocylott
    ocylott Posts: 31
    Options
    Not for me. I only go out to movies maybe 2-3 times per year, and I've never liked theatre popcorn. Never was a drinker, never smoked, have always walked everywhere so I don't buy gas (I don't have a driver's license, heh), never indulged often in fast food. The biggest difference in my lifestyle between now and where I was a few months ago? The foods I'm buying. And yes, my grocery bill has gone way up. Keeping all those fresh veggies in the house costs a lot more than mac & cheese!

Not that I'm saying it's not worth it. It totally is. But the question was whether or not it's more expensive, and in my experience the answer is a definitive yes.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's true, money has been a huge issue for me when it comes to eating properly, and is a major reason I have eaten so terribly at some points in the past. I'm a student with little income and lots of expenses, and once the rent and tuition and all that stuff is paid, there's often not much left for food. There have been times in my life where all I lived off of was 40 cent boxes of mac and cheese, and free pizza from events on campus. It is especially difficult to buy fresh food for one person, because it often goes bad before one person can eat it all and its just a waste of money :(
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is so sad but true. I have started doing more fruits and veggies for green smoothies. I have been to the store more than I ever have in order to get enough produce. Produce is high as heck but needed. And what makes it worth is the places you have to get good produce are higher like Tom Thumb,Kroger,Whole Foods etc. Going to a Walmart isn't going to cut it for fresh food and meat. The sad plight of the nation.
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    The biggest difference in my lifestyle between now and where I was a few months ago? The foods I'm buying. And yes, my grocery bill has gone way up. Keeping all those fresh veggies in the house costs a lot more than mac & cheese!

Yes, I definitely see that. Personally, I don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Poultry, eggs, whole grain breads and pastas, and nuts. They all either last long or can be frozen and all can be purchased in fairly large amounts. When I try to buy veggies they just go bad as I have no idea what to do with them. :)

I do spend a decent amount on multivitamins, whey, etc, though.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I blame corn
  • djkamin60
    djkamin60 Posts: 88
    Options
    Totally agree. And did you notice sizes are getting smaller and prices are going up. Seriously considering a garden for next year. If I can keep the critters out! LOL. We have a wonderful farmers market in our town and will be visiting it more often this year. At least I will know the produce is fresh and not treated to keep it that way. Already picked strawberries locally and made jam and froze some. Also made rhubarb jam from rhubarb that a guy at work was giving away. Of course I had to bring treats to work in return, but that was a good thing because they polished them off and I didn't have them sitting at home to tempt me. I have cut way back on processed food, but still use microwave for cooking when pressed for time. Also, it's hard to cook for one or two people, but am working on only making a few servings for me and my son. I don't mind leftovers and have a large freezer, but once some things are frozen, they lose some palatability. Guess we all need to start a food revolution like Jamie Oliver did with some schools.