Gaining weight after 600-700 calorie diet?

Options
NO MORE POSTS
topic closed

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating that low a day full stop, You may lose weight quickly at the start, but you are not going to be healthy for it. If you intend to eat that low, losing weight when older will be the least of your problems, you will be dealing with major health issues, many of them being irreversible.
  • Mighty_Midas
    Mighty_Midas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Iv been eating only up to 700 calories a day will this make it harder for me to lose weight when im older/

Eating way below your recommend caloric allowance is considered crash dieting. When you crash diet, it can cause all sorts of things to go wrong in your system. Like hair-loss and muscle-loss, which leaves less muscle and more fat under your skin. It's counterproductive. One thing to remember, when you diet is CARDIO is your BEST FRIEND and THREE DAYS or more of lifting weights BEFORE you do it (walk on a treadmil, run, or bike) will make losing weight even easier.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    it could but i hear dead people never really get weight problems
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Win!!
  • xoxosarinaxoxo
    xoxosarinaxoxo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Please JUST replies to the question ,i know the calories are too low.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yes it can cause long term damage to the system and yes affect weight loss later, not just when you are old but when you try to get back to eating normally. Hopefully you are under a doctor's care to eat so few calories for more than a few weeks.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Yes. You already know this answer.

Is this a troll post? If not, open up your diary. If you are ashamed of only eating 700 calories, you should once again know the answer to your question.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Well. If you already know the calories are too low.. Why are you asking such a stupid question?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that ultra low calorie diets like the one you're on can cause long term problems with your hunger hormones after you finish dieting. This effect can last years and will very likely cause you to regain all the weight you lost and then some.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should do a google search for TDEE calculator that will give you more of an idea how much your body needs a day to function. And yes If you know your eating too low of calories....Then eat more calories......
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Iv been eating only up to 700 calories a day will this make it harder for me to lose weight when im older/

The answer to your question is yes and cause even more health problems.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options

If you know the calories are too low then you should try and work on upping the calories. And if you know it is too low then you should also know that when you are older it will give you issues. Your body will be malnourished, and will hold on to extra weight possibly because of all those years you were starving yourself.

The trick is learning how to eat a healthy well-balanced diet because eating healthy is for life!!!

The faster you drop the weight the faster it will be put back on! Losing weight should be a slower process...give your body time to adjust. Don't starve yourself.
  • cmcstay
    cmcstay Posts: 1
    Options
    When you eat so few calories your body "thinks" it is in starving conditions and will begin shutting things down (slowing your metabolism first, but also other things like your reproductive cycle, etc). I can imagine that it would take time for your metabolism to "rev back up again" once you start eating more calories which would probably make you gain weight more quickly once you came off this crash diet. However, I really don't see it affecting things in the long run in terms of future ability of losing weight. Still there are major risks to your body if you eat so few calories -- infertility for one, development of body hair, major electrolyte abnormalities. I'd recommend getting back to your goal calories with some exercise to lose weight more gradually.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    If you know the calories are too know, why are you doing it anyway? Sounds like you are already set in your ways.

To answer your question:

VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) can lead to muscle loss which can lower your overall metabolic rate. You'll lose slower, but you'll still lose. I wouldn't recommend it though. Try eating at least your BMR.
  • dwclaire
    dwclaire Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    it really depend on your age/height and bmi, as well as whether or not youve already tried to lose weight and nothingh happened.there is a VLCD (very low calorie diet)..theres a TINY bit about it in my vlog here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9Nzn7FWBc
    also there's an external link to details of this diet (AND a website with tips about how to lose weight healthily...which is how you should be doing it :) )
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    looks like someone needs attention.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    From the "when I'm older" I'm assuming you're somewhere mid to late teenage years. You shouldn't worry about whether you lose slow or fast when you're older but whether you'll be healthy or not based on your current diet. If you are thinking that your body is fully developed before mid 20s, you're wrong.

This is what bothers me most with teenagers doing extreme diets. You're screwing yourself up and you'll regret it sooner or later.
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options

"Dead" right!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    if you know the calories are too low then increase them, talk to a doctor about the amount of calories you should be eating or do some research
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well. If you already know the calories are too low.. Why are you asking such a stupid question?

^^^^ this - I agree! love it
This discussion has been closed.