HELP! I'm going to wrong direction!

Options
Okay so I've been back on MFP for about 11 days now! Things were going great and according to my new scale I got three days ago I dropped 9 pounds from Friday-Wednesday. However, I have now gained 2 pounds of that back in the last two days. I am 6'1" 280lbs so my RMR is at least 2,765 calories per day. I am currently eating at 1900 calories per day and have a net deficit most days. That means I shouldn't be showing gains! I realize it is just two pounds but just by basic math I should've dropped almost a half of pound calorie wise in the last two days so how is the scale going the other direction! Do I need to up my calorie intake? Any advice would be helpful!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You need to settle down and realize that your weight is going to fluctuate.
  • bfeusner
    bfeusner Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I understand that but just didn't expect to see gains...I have no problem with my weight holding steady for a day or two but I just don't want to see the numbers go up!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It goes up and down naturally. That's just how it works. Check out the weight loss graph of anyone whose lost a lot. It's a jagged mess with a long term downward trend. You will drive yourself nuts thinking for each 1750 calorie deficit the scale will fall a half pound or something. Weigh less often and get used to fluctuations. All kinds of stuff besides fat goes into a scale reading. It's frustrating, for sure. If you didn't eat an excess of 7000 calories, you didn't gain 2 lbs. of fat. If you've upped your exercise level recently (or intensity or type), expect weight loss to slow some or stop for a while your body makes some accommodations.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I understand that but just didn't expect to see gains...I have no problem with my weight holding steady for a day or two but I just don't want to see the numbers go up!

Weight loss isn't linear. You didn't gain it in a linear fashion, so you won't lose it like that. Also, If you are burning well over 3000k, then 1900 calories isn't going to cut it for very long. I am 5'11, 200 lbs and 12% body fat, and I eat 2600 calories to lose weight and it's harder for me since I am close to a normal range. You might want to bump your calories to 2500 to give some more relief to your body. Remember, that calorie deficits are stress on your body and stress can prevent weight loss.
  • bfeusner
    Options
    If you've upped your exercise level recently (or intensity or type), expect weight loss to slow some or stop for a while your body makes some accommodations.

I did just start walking/jogging the last couple days and yesterday I went 3.25 miles which is the furthest distance I've gone in five years! So I do feel good just want to see the scale show lower numbers. I'm sure it is just my body adjusting!
  • bfeusner
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You didn't gain it in a linear fashion, so you won't lose it like that. Also, If you are burning well over 3000k, then 1900 calories isn't going to cut it for very long. I am 5'11, 200 lbs and 12% body fat, and I eat 2600 calories to lose weight and it's harder for me since I am close to a normal range. You might want to bump your calories to 2500 to give some more relief to your body. Remember, that calorie deficits are stress on your body and stress can prevent weight loss.

I was worried that maybe it was too low because when I was at 2500/2250 is when I lost the 9 pounds in 5 days...It is just getting tough to hit 2500 calories now that I am eating healthier...I feel like I have to eat two plate fulls at each meal with healthier foods!
  • Kerry63
    Kerry63 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi
    Try and be very strick on everything you record (my tblsp liquid vitamins are 20 cals)!
    Also, if you have been eating a lot of protein and exercising it could be that your muscle is weighing heavier. Don't forget to measure yourself too. If it doesn't show in weight loss it often shows in measurements.
    Keep going for the new you :bigsmile:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's water retention. Unless you ate 7000 calories more than your maintenance in the last couple of days, then it is not fat. And it will go away.

Some causes of water retention are:

Sodium excess
    Time of day when weighing
    food or water in your belly
    Constipation
    muscle repair

If you are going to measure every day or every couple of days you need to understand that your weight is going to fluctuate. Depending on the reason, I've seen my own weight go up as much as 5 lbs overnight.
  • bfeusner
    Options
    It's water retention. Unless you ate 7000 calories more than your maintenance in the last couple of days, then it is not fat. And it will go away.

Some causes of water retention are:

Sodium excess
    Time of day when weighing
    food or water in your belly
    Constipation
    muscle repair

If you are going to measure every day or every couple of days you need to understand that your weight is going to fluctuate. Depending on the reason, I've seen my own weight go up as much as 5 lbs overnight.

Thanks I also worried that Sodium excess causing my to hold more water could be the cause! That is the one thing that I haven't gotten a great grip on yet is sodium...I am doing much better than I was in the beginning but still going over some on most days and trying to drink more and more water to compensate for it!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this is probably the 1000th post of this type I've seen here in my 30 days on MFP. Just stop looking at the scale for a while, and stay the course. Is the concept of variance too difficult for people?

If, after a month, you are up 2 pounds after following your diet and exercise program, please post. We can all take a look and help.

Until then, please chill out and get off the scale.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    if you have worked out hard, then it is probably water weight from muscle repair.

Last weekend I helped my mother move in 85 degree weather. According to MFP I burned like 1800 calories in 2 hours of carrying boxes ( I really carried boxes for closer to 4 hours, but I only claimed 2) up flights of steps ( 38 in total!), so I expected the scale to be lower on Monday....but I had gained almost a pound! Wednesday when I stepped on the scale, I had lost 1.6lbs. 1.2 pounds of retained water from the weekend, and .4lbs of new loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I was worried that maybe it was too low because when I was at 2500/2250 is when I lost the 9 pounds in 5 days...It is just getting tough to hit 2500 calories now that I am eating healthier...I feel like I have to eat two plate fulls at each meal with healthier foods!

So pick up some nuts, avocado, cook in extra virgin olive oil or my favorite is eating peanut butter out of the jar to get more calories. Also, look into muscle milk. Two scoops is 3000 calories and is what helps me to get my calorie goal.
  • ckvaughn
    ckvaughn Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I have been using this sight to help me form a healthy diet and exercise program for about 3 weeks now. Right away I dropped almost 7 lbs. Then, I began to work out and I have noticed my weight loss slow dramatically. I too am under my alloted calories each day. As a former metabolic dieter...I tried to implement that same thinking and it just doesn't work. There are so many factors that can cause this. Muscle weighs more than fat. Also watch your sodium intake because that can cause you to retain water. Are you drinking water? Hang in there you will figure it out...meanwhile...stop focusing so much on the scale and concentrate on how good you feel and how your clothes are starting to fit a lot better.:smile:
  • bfeusner
    Options
    Are you drinking water?

I try to drink at least 96 ounces (12 - 8cup servings) of water per day!
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You didn't really lose 9 pounds (of fat anyway) in five days to begin with.

That's a calorie deficit of 31,500 calories, 6,300 a day. You've just added some water weight back.

It's good that your excited, but 95 pounds is a long road. Keep to your plan and everything will work out just fine. The more you get caught up in the day to day stuff the easier it will be to be fruistrated.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Okay so I've been back on MFP for about 11 days now! Things were going great and according to my new scale I got three days ago I dropped 9 pounds from Friday-Wednesday.
    That's a lot of weight to lose in 5 days time. Since you're new to this, temper your expectations and aim for 1-2 pounds a week.
    However, I have now gained 2 pounds of that back in the last two days. I am 6'1" 280lbs so my RMR is at least 2,765 calories per day. I am currently eating at 1900 calories per day and have a net deficit most days. That means I shouldn't be showing gains!
    Cutting calories so drastically can slow your metabolism to a crawl. Try to cut no more than 20% from your total calorie expenditure for the day. So based on your RMR of 2765 calories, you want to eat about 2200 calories. Also, fat loss works best with a predetermined ratio of macros- some people prefer high protein/low carb, some high carb, etc. I'd suggest a 40/40/20 ratio of proteins/carbs/fats and make adjustments based on your results.

Also, I can't stress this enough- ditch the scale, or at the very least, the importance you place on it. Buy a tape measure and/or a bodyfat caliper. These will be a much, much, stronger indicator of your success or failure. Also, avoid taking measurements and weight daily- this should be done once a week at most, and at the same time each day.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I had that same problem when I first started. Im also 6'2 and was 300 and now im down to 240 and have been at 240 for a while. The best thing to do is not to weight yourself every single day. Weight yourself once every week or so during the morning when you first wake up. I have noticed that throughout the day I do gain weight because Im eating and drinking tons of water. This is natural for your body to do this. Not sure what your work out schedule consists of but do not worry about the scale. I use to but then realized that even though I wasn't losing a lot of weight right away I was able to start fitting into smaller clothing. Sometimes your best accomplishments are NSV's. I would suggest eating more (also depending on your workout routine) I wouldn't recommend 1900 as you are a big dude like I am and your body needs fuel in order to keep moving. Sometimes if you do not eat enough your body goes haywire. I realized this when I lost 10 pounds during Thanksgiving break and I was stuffing my face
  • pjizba
    pjizba Posts: 3
    Options
    Weight fluctuates a lot. Im 6,2 and started at 365lb (currently 235) i weigh my self everyday just because i think it is interesting but i usually go up and down all week long. However the week to week weight is always down. If you don't want to see the up just try to weigh yourself one day and week and be sure to stick with your diet all week long.
  • chettab
    chettab Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! I agree that it is def SODIUM intake that caused you to retain water, which is what you may be seeing on the scale. Some things that helped me in the best with the water retention are the waist bands you can buy at Walmart for about five bucks. They are made to help with water weight. I had great success in the past with them. Also, using a sauna once a week can really help with water retention, this also something I did in the past and it showed some differences.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this is probably the 1000th post of this type I've seen here in my 30 days on MFP. Just stop looking at the scale for a while, and stay the course. Is the concept of variance too difficult for people?

If, after a month, you are up 2 pounds after following your diet and exercise program, please post. We can all take a look and help.

Until then, please chill out and get off the scale.

Haha! Exactly!