Ways too boost metabolism?

Options
i have a very slow meabolic rate, any natural ways to speed it up?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Caffeine
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Excersise
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    Options
    start lifting weight and build muscle........could also drink yerba mate
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    eat.....
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns more energy than fat, and even after you stop exercising... if you go for the whole "afterburn" effect, so exercise and gain muscle.

other than that: Caffeine

Or you could just eat to your metabolism, eat smaller meals, more often.

IF is also another way, though, not many want to hear that... :?

Those are the only one's I know of
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Building muscle does help raise BMR, but it's not nearly as metabolism boosting as most people think. Those who have never lifted will get the most immediate benefit in raising BMR. Still good to do long term, it's just that benefits aren't nearly as fast

A more rapid fire way is to raise basal/resting body temperature. Done by eliminating fluouride by using fluoride free toothpaste and filtering water. Also getting adequate amounts of dietary iodine, avoiding environmental halogens (chlorine mostly, radiation). IMHO, this is the most permanent way to improve BMR. (My waking temperature went from 97.5 to 98.3 from doing this, pretty huge effect)

Caffeine, green tea, ephedrine, various other stimulants, and exercise are all thermogenic, they will raise your body's temperature. However, these are temporary effects. These are completely unnecessary and only used in adjunt/extreme cases (bodybuilding, making weight classes, etc.).

Food: this may sound counterintuitive, but eating more calories does raise your body Temperature and thus BMR. Prolonged dieting lowers body temperature. The effect is due to thermal loss of calories from macronutrients (the order of heat liberation: protein < alcohol (seriously) < carbohydrate < fat). Eating higher ratios of protein and carbohydrates are most beneficial (still eat some fat). Meal frequency does not matter, the calories and macros are what matters for raising temperature.

*Calories burnt from exercise don't raise BMR in itself, just adds to TDEE. But the act of exercising can increase body temperature temporarily (I think this is what people refer to as the "afterburn" effect, why more intense but shorter exercise can be beneficial despite not burning as much in the gym compared to long, low intensity exercise).