Annoyed by People Commenting??

Options

Replies

• Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Really? This is what bothers you the most? People cant even give compliments anymore without offending someone.

Seriously! People need to stop being so damned offended over every stupid thing.

When you've lost some serious weight, let me know and I'll be sure to talk on and on about how fat you were to begin with. The OP isn't talking about being offended by compliments, but the ongoing discussion of his/her weight loss under the guise of compliments. I can relate to this, and have discussed with others in the same position before how it seems that SOME people look at you and take large-scale weight loss as a license to discuss just how fat you were to begin with. It's incredibly offensive, and yes annoying.
    :drinker:
  • PDLUCKY
    PDLUCKY Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like the comments it feels good and gives me motivation to continue.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Is it just me...or do you start to get slightly annoyed when people CONTINUOUSLY comment on the weight you've lost?? At first it was great...but now I can't help thinking...DID I LOOK THAT BAD BEFORE??? lol....just a little Friday venting...

Don't be annoyed when they compliment you, Remember not everyone is there yet. So each individual is looking at it for his own reason. I can't wait until it happens to me! and Yes absolutely I must have looked that bad before, I will not forget were I came from, because it is just sooooooo easy to go back. Get off that and start to appreciate every single comment, cause that is how people lose sight, and end up right back to day 1
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    YES. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I lost 20 pounds last summer, and EVERYONE I knew commented on it when I got back to school. And not just "Oh, wow, you lost weight!" but "Wow, you look so much better!" I went from 143 to 125 at 5'5, so I don't feel like I looked THAT bad before. Jeez! It's such a double-edged sword.

Edit: Just saw all of the slightly rude to incredibly rude comments, and I want you to know that I think you're completely valid in feeling this way. It IS hard when people tell you you look better, because it makes you feel like you won't be beautiful or worthwhile if you gain it all back. I understand, and I think you should ignore all the people who don't.
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the people who actually took the time to read what I posted...and didn't twist it into all sorts of negativity.

Sometimes it makes me sad to know so many people jump to the negative and come to their own conclusions about a complete stranger.

I thought this was supposed to be a place where we could talk about how we felt and what we were going through during weight loss without judgment.

Please...if you are looking to judge and point fingers and make assumptions and tell me how terrible I am go elsewhere.
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I also want to say there is a difference between complimenting and commenting. And depending on how either are being done both can be annoying. I knew a guy that couldn't give a compliment to save his soul. He would say something really sweet but would then qualify it with something awful that used to be relevant. So, in weight loss, I'm sure he'd have said something like, "You look so great now that you've lost so much weight. Before you were really fat." Even though it's true, the second statement makes the first one not feel as nice.

As for commenting - when it's continuous, it's annoying. I work with a guy who always compliments my clothes or my jewelry if he likes it. Which is fine, until you've heard 15 comments in one day. "Hey Krissy - that's a great necklace." "Wow, just can't get over how great that necklace is." "That necklace sure does compliment your eyes." "Where did you get that necklace, it really is a great piece?" "You always have the best jewelry." "That necklace is super." and on and on...every time you see him. If the OP is experience anything similar I can see how it would get on her nerves.

Thanks for actually getting what I was saying!!!
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The 90/10 Principle by Author Stephen Covey

What is the Principle?

10% of life is made up of what happens to you.
    90% of life is decided by how you react

What does this mean?

We really have NO control over 10% of what happens to us.

You cannot control a red light. However, you can control your reaction.

Do not let people fool you. YOU can control how you react.

Let us use an example…

You are having breakfast with your family. Your daughter knocks over a cup of coffee onto your business shirt.

You have no control over what just happened. So what happens next will be determined by how you react.

You curse. You harshly scold your daughter for knocking the cup over. She breaks down in tears. After scolding her, you turn to your wife and you criticize her for placing the cup too close to the edge of the table. A short verbal battle follows.

You storm upstairs and change your shirt. Back downstairs, you find your daughter has been too busy crying to finish her breakfast and getting ready to go to school. She misses the bus. Your spouse must leave immediately for work. You rush to the car and drive your daughter to school.

Because you are late, you drive 40 miles per hour in a 30 mph speed limit zone. After a 15-minute delay and throwing a $60.00 traffic fine away, you arrive at school. Your daughter runs into the building without saying goodbye. After arriving at the office 20 minutes late, you realize you forgot your briefcase. Your day started terrible. As it continues, it seems to get worse and worse.

You look forward to coming home. When you arrive home, you find a small wedge in your relationship with your wife and daughter.

Why?

Because of how you reacted in the morning.

Why did you have a bad day?

A) Did the coffee cause it?
    B) Did your daughter cause it?
    C) Did the policeman cause it?
    D) Did you cause it?

The answer is “D”

You had no control over what happened with the coffee. How you reacted in those 5 seconds is what caused your bad day.

Here is what should have happened…

Coffee splashes over you. Your daughter is about to cry.

You gently say, “It’s okay honey, you just need to be more careful next time.”

Grabbing a towel you go upstairs and change your shirt. You grab your briefcase, and you come back down in time to look through the window and see your child getting on the bus. She turns and waves. You arrive 5 minutes early and cheerfully greet the staff.

Notice the difference?

Two different scenarios. Both started the same. Both ended different.

Why?

Because of how you reacted.

You really have no control over 10% of what happens in your life. The other 90% was determined by your reaction.

Millions of people are suffering from undeserved stress, trials, problems and headaches. We must all apply the 90/10 Principle. It can change your life!
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I like the compliments about my weight loss.

What I do not like is when people say "You carry your weight well". I don't need that type of "compliment".
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    NEVER!
  • laurajguil
    Options
    The comments that really bother me are "you don't look that bad" or your not that fat. It isn't a compliment.
  • Tators
    Tators Posts: 75
    Options
    SMH at some of the post that reprimanded the OP for how she felt. I guess all the ups and downs of weight loss have a rule...hmm

OP I understand what you mean. The fact that it was a struggle for you, and you most likely didn't share it with them. So inquiries/comments could ge geniune. But I've been around long enough to know the difference of authentic and spiteful comments. Only you know the environment of people you are around, so Im sure your discernment of it is justified.

Just know that no matter what you looked like before YOU are still the same person in heart mind and spirit. Don't allow your feelings to get in the way, and definitely don't allow some negative comments from posters on here to get you down for speaking out on what you feel. Hope it gets better for you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Is it just me...or do you start to get slightly annoyed when people CONTINUOUSLY comment on the weight you've lost?? At first it was great...but now I can't help thinking...DID I LOOK THAT BAD BEFORE??? lol....just a little Friday venting...

Stop losing. Problem solved.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options

Stop losing. Problem solved.

Get an attitude adjustment. Problem solved.
  • lori__lynn
    lori__lynn Posts: 59
    Options
    i can't wait for that day ~ enjoy it!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, no, no!
    People are excited for you, and your success encourages us all.
    KEEP PUNCHING!
  • Tators
    Tators Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks to all the people who actually took the time to read what I posted...and didn't twist it into all sorts of negativity.

Sometimes it makes me sad to know so many people jump to the negative and come to their own conclusions about a complete stranger.

I thought this was supposed to be a place where we could talk about how we felt and what we were going through during weight loss without judgment.

Please...if you are looking to judge and point fingers and make assumptions and tell me how terrible I am go elsewhere.

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :wink:

Absolutely
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

NOPE....it never gets old to me!! I love and appreciate their kind words of support and encouragement. It keeps me motivated. I :heart: them for noticing.
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    seems no pleasing some people... :laugh:

some complain because you comment... some complain because you don't say anything... damned if you do - damned if you don't.

Perfectly said!! :laugh:
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I know what you mean, it can be a bit of a double-edge sword to hear, "Oh your bottom looks so curvy now", and you hear the unspoken after-words of, "It looked like a sack of potatoes before...". :embarassed:

I always feel like this when somebody says, "You look so beautiful today, that top/dress/whatever really suits you"... it makes me wonder, whether I looked like a bag lady before... :sad:
  • drgregdc
    drgregdc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Flattery is dead
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!