Calories Burned from Daily Activity?

Options
I dont understand how MFP set up my goals for me. They claim that I burn 2,500 calories from daily activity? While I do workout everyday and run around with kids all day (im a babysitter), doesnt this seem a little high? Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks! Liz

Replies

• Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    what activity do you add for counting calories that you have burned? and yes that seems way too high
  • liz_2530
    liz_2530 Posts: 7
    Options
    6 1 hour work outs a week..i usually burn 500-600 calories at the gym because i do a lot of cardio.

this is what it says;

Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,500 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,500 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 1,000 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 2.0 lbs/ week
  • liz_2530
    Options
    im just super confused haha i dont understand some of this stuff!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    What do you have your activity level set at? This Site doesn't include exercise when giving you a daily calorie goal.
  • amykingsley1
    amykingsley1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Might not be too far off. My lifestyle is active, I d a lot outdoors, and my calories are set at 1880 to lose 0.5 lb per week. If I work out, I sometimes get to eat 2300 caolries and still be in weight loss goal range.

I gaurantee if you are doing that much cardio and eating 1500 calories a day yu will lose weight. 1500 might not even be enough depending how physically busy you are the rest of the day.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Your age, height, weight and the activity level you entered all go into that. And gender.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My personal training recommended using a different formula to calculate calories needed (without exercise included). She used this formula:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

It gives me 132 calories more each day, which is helpful. I just went in and set my goals manually rather than following what MFP suggests.... it's hard for me to eat 1200 calories a day (healthy calories at that) and still not be hungry, and with a mild headache.
  • liz_2530
    Options
    i set it as active! i try to workout everyday for atleast 50min, and babysit two 10 year olds for 10 hours a day.

im also female, 21, about 185lb and 5'11
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    When you're setting your activity level on MFP, you don't count exercise. That is totally separate which is why you are allotted more calories for it. Try a lower activity level, whatever you think your baseline is, and log your exercise separately.
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    6 1 hour work outs a week..i usually burn 500-600 calories at the gym because i do a lot of cardio.

this is what it says;

Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,500 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,500 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 1,000 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 2.0 lbs/ week

Makes sense to me. Your BMR is almost 1700. If you weren't active, your TDEE would be around 2000. So, given that you ARE active and burn around 500 calories each day from exercise, altogether you'd expend about 2500 calories. So, eating 1500 calories each day should create a large enough deficit to lose about 2 lbs each week.

Just a note - you said that you set yourself as "active" when you signed up. Since you did that, make sure that don't log your exercise from now on. MFP is already taking your exercise into account since you indicated that you're active. If you log exercise on top of that, you'll accidentally double what you're actually doing.
  • liz_2530
    Options
    thanks! should i change my activity level then so i am able to log my workouts?
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thanks! should i change my activity level then so i am able to log my workouts?

That's what I did. I set my activity level to sedentary because I don't work out everyday. On days that I do work out, I log it. I personally like it because my exercise schedule is so irregular and it feels much more accurate.