Weight training without adding bulk

Options

Replies

• MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I know it's hard for some to believe but YES there are women out there that are naturally muscular and bulky due to genetics, they were born that way. Example - the shape I always refer to as the tasmanian devil. Big bulky wide shoulders. They are looking for a work out more tailored to their body type and goals...not ridicule "oh i picked up a weight now i'm bulky" Just like some men out there that are naturally more muscular then other men...this is the case for women too, just not as predominately.

I can understand if a stocky woman (not you OP you look great BTW), maybe someone like me with 'man calves' had concerns that strength training would only make certain body parts look even more manly. Not all of us are as knowledgable...offer your expertise not your ridicule "oh i picked up a weight now I'm bulky". HAHA sorry had to quote that once again :grumble:

There are only 2 ways to be bulky: lots of muscle or lots of fat. Yes, a person can have a big skeleton, but small muscles and low body fat on a big skeleton isn't bulky. And for most of us (myself included), being bulky has way more to do with how much fat we have than how much muscle we have.

Unless a person has some weird condition (necessary disclaimer since I suppose anything is possible), they won't hold on to muscle for no reason, and they won't gain muscle without work. The body tries to be efficient, and it will shed excess muscle as soon as it thinks it can get away with it. I think people just really understimate how much of their size comes from fat.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    if you keep lifting, it will help with the exact problem you're concerned about. I promise. At first you may feel bigger for awhile, but thats temporary.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    There are only 2 ways to be bulky: lots of muscle or lots of fat. Yes, a person can have a big skeleton, but small muscles and low body fat on a big skeleton isn't bulky. And for most of us (myself included), being bulky has way more to do with how much fat we have than how much muscle we have.

Unless a person has some weird condition (necessary disclaimer since I suppose anything is possible), they won't hold on to muscle for no reason, and they won't gain muscle without work. The body tries to be efficient, and it will shed excess muscle as soon as it thinks it can get away with it. I think people just really understimate how much of their size comes from fat.

^
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You don't add bulk on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Exactly! So tired of reading how people gain all this muscle while eating at a deficit and lifting light weight.

Actually, it is possible for obese people or even those with quite a bit of excess body fat, eating below BMR to increase lean mass while also reducing body fat %.

This is even more so if you are a beginning or intermediate lifter.

It is documented in medical studies, just lazy to go back and find my sources ( I never bookmarked them)
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    sticks fist in mouth

are we having a contest?!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    It is documented in medical studies, just lazy to go back and find my sources ( I never bookmarked them)

I'm going to try this with my professors and see if it flys
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    if you keep lifting, it will help with the exact problem you're concerned about. I promise. At first you may feel bigger for awhile, but thats temporary.
    THAT THAT THAT!!!
  • chris1816
    Options
    I am a 5'2 female and I build muscle far too easily for my liking. I know it's really important to do strength training and I try to incorporate it into my routine. I do kettle bells and have recently been trying out the trx things. I have only been back at the gym a few weeks and already I look too masculine - I am one of those rare females that has the capacity to build muscle, seriously, if I had the inclination I think I could be a body builder!

My problem is I have a layer of fat covering my muscles making me look fatter than I am and I want to lose the excess weight. I'm 126lbs at the moment and would like any advice on what I should be doing to get thinner and leaner, not too ripped.

Also, I have been counting my calories and have noticed I eat too many carbs in relation to protein. Is this part of the problem? Should I try protein shakes as I struggle to eat enough or just change my diet? Or will protein bulk me up even more?

Many thanks for any advice

As for OP, read this, etc.

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Stay off the steroids, and you won't bulk.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're trying to say. As far as the "muscle making me look bigger". When I was younger, I wasn't doing enough cardio at one point so was more toned but didn't lose much weight. Overall I looked smaller but my clothes fit tighter. You can "stuff" fat into clothing. You can't really stuff muscle. So you might get the sense that you look bigger. You probably don't actually look bigger though.

I've always had pretty well defined calves. The only thing I think you can do is what others have suggested. Adding more cardio. Also, if you know certain body parts "bulk" up faster than others, maybe you need a more tailored workout that focuses less on those areas and more on the areas that don't. That way you're still working on the toning but you're not overusing certain muscles. I use Fitness Magazine. You can search for different moves and mix and match. For example, my strength routine consists of 9 moves. All of them work my legs and thighs, most work my butt and abs, and then some work my back, shoulders, arms, and chest. There are only 9 moves but none of them only work one area. Everything gets a workout with emphasis on what needs it more and less on what doesn't. Hope this helps.

P.S. Ignore the rude comments :)
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    My muscles have the apperance of looking MASSIVE because of my layer of fat. Seriously. It's fat making your muscles look huge-not your muscles.

You'll be able to burn more fat if you continue to build muscle. I have stuck with it and have slllllowly seen myself leaning out. It is kinda freaky in the beginning, but well worth it.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you do kettlebells - stick with this. I lost some body fat recently from performing a KB circuit three times a week for eight weeks. FWIW, I'm about your weight but 5'6.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly! So tired of reading how people gain all this muscle while eating at a deficit and lifting light weight.

Actually, it is possible for obese people or even those with quite a bit of excess body fat, eating below BMR to increase lean mass while also reducing body fat %.

I've had this argument before on MFP...(in fact, I think he was in that discussion too)...that although a less than ideal way to add muscle mass, it is technically possible to reduce fat stores while building muscle at the same time, especially for those who are obese, but it was as if I slapped his sacred monument and insulted his mom and his sister by even suggesting the possibility.

So anyhow, best of luck to you.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    sticks fist in mouth

are we having a contest?!

Pics please.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you genuinely do gain muscle very easily you might want to check with your doctor for pcos or any other condition that can screw with the hormones. In my teens I found a combination of swimming and hormone imbalance made my shoulders look like i left the hanger in my shirts.
  • chris1816
    Options

I'm going to try this with my professors and see if it flys

Oh! Your professors! Heavens, are they officiating internet arguments on the side for you? Are they checking your posts on MFP for proper citation?

Fine, sunshine, just for you...I interrupted my glorious post-workout-sitting-around-in-my-undies-working-from-home-time.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/009/ae906e/ae906e11.htm

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/bodybuildingfaq/f/losefatgainmass.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10846043

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8002507

Would you like me to harness the powers of the internets to find more for you or may I go back go f*cking off?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Adding bulk does not come from weight training. It comes from calorie surplus/excess. Weight training will merely determine whether or not that surplus/excess affects your body in a way that leads to buff or fluff. Without a calorie surplus you will never add bulk. You may add some shape to muscles you already have if they aren't used to being worked _at_all_, but that's it. All you'll do is build functional strength, fitness, and achieve the look that uneducated people often refer to as "toned." To get an idea of what I mean, google Amanda Harris. She is a powerlifter nicknamed Barbie Barbell who has set world records within her weight class, some when she was a teenager. She does not look bulky, at all. In fact she looks pretty average.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

That's correct.............lean mass, but bulk is a combination of fat and muscle. You don't bulk on calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    brb doing 1 set of squats and instantly having ronnie coleman's legs
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    and thus the thread dissolves into BRO-science.........

OP - just keep up with your cardio and strength training! If you are working in a calorie deficit the excess weight will come off revealing your beautiful muscles and a slimmer you. If you are concerned that a specific area of your body will look over developed, don't focus on that area.

Best wishes!