Sweating

Options
I'll start off by saying that I'm one of those people who sweats a lot when I exercise. I mean I'm dripping when I'm done. If I'm not, then I feel like I haven't done enough. Lol. But last night in class one of the ladies said to me "You look like you've just taken a shower! But, that's good. That means you are healthy."

I wasn't really sure if that was true or not, so I decided to do a little research online this morning. Because we all know you must believe everything that's online :laugh: (I kid, of course). I did come across this website that explained it quite well: http://www.no-iron-fitness.com/excessive-sweating-exercise.html

Here is a little excerpt from it:

"The harder you train, the more chances you'll have excessive sweating during exercise which means, in most average healthy adults that your body is becoming more efficient at cooling itself down.

Take a look at athletes. Anyone remember Micheal Jordan? That guy would sweat buckets. For some reason people think that the more you sweat the less physically conditioned you are, which isn't the case.

Exercise and Sweat

I have a client who's been with me for about a year, and when she first started it was hard for her to get a good sweat going. She had never really done any sort of physical fitness before so her body wasn't very efficient at cooling itself down because it never really had too.

Fast forward to today, and not only does she drip but she starts sweating during the warm up, which is a great sign of an efficient body at work."

I thought it was an interesting read and just wanted to pass along some information. :smile:

Replies

• jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I am done with my workout I look like I poured water on myself, it seems gross, but makes me feel like I got something out of the hour or so of cardio. I also have started not turning on the air in the truck when I leave, to keep the sweat going a bit longer and get out some more unwanted sodium before getting home to wash it off.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I always feel good after a workout and I sweat my butt off. But if I dont sweat I feel that my workout was in sufficieent. Thanks for sharing!!!
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    then I have always been healthy, because I have always sweated. Wow, who would have thunk. roflmao! I have noticed I sweat more and more these days. I have a hard time trying to keep my glasses on my face.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I always feel good after a workout and I sweat my butt off. But if I dont sweat I feel that my workout was in sufficieent. Thanks for sharing!!!

Exactly! My favorite quote of the moment: "Unless you puke, faint, or die - keep going!" - Jillian Michaels. It's a bit extreme, but reminds me to keep striving for progress. :)
  • dawnitalinn
    Options
    I know when I am getting a work out because I am sweating, I don't look like I have taken a shower in it but sure is a good gauge that you are doing something right. Remember with all that sweat to hydrate yourself, otherwise you will be in a world of hurt!
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When I *was* working out and I went to boxercise classes I would be dripping with sweat during that.

That's very interesting to know though, so when I do start my work outs again, if I'm pouring with sweat I'll know why haha :-P
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer and I can easily lose a pound of water weight in the pool after a two mile swim. Sometimes more :)
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Walk Away The Pounds super challenge while holding weights, and sometimes I sweat so much my weights nearly fly right out of my hands! I feel accomplished when I've been sweating.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Small quibble: increased sweating (relative to the individual) can be a sign of increased fitness, not necessarily better health.
  • Cheeessseee
    Options
    I love the idea of getting a good sweat on and really knowing that I busted my *kitten*.... ie did a 7mile run last night and my ENTIRE shirt was soaked.....

It was funny toward the end I noticed a little bit that was dry, and told myself this whole thing needs to be soaked! I made it within the last mile of my run..... nice NSV if you ask me...
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I wasn't always a good sweat-er, probably because my physical activity was limited. Now I am part of the drenched crew...good to know my body is really burning!
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Really interesting, thanks for posting
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I swear when I workout the sweat starts at the back of my head and starts running like a faucet! I'm a BIG time sweater now too. It's insane.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    this makes sense. I always deemed myself "not a sweater" and while, these days i dont exactly sweat buckets, i do sweat and need a shower after my workouts!
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My friend and I were just discussing this very thing! I sweat so bad when I work out! More than in the beginning. This helps, it makes sense. Of course, I always just say that sweat is just your fat crying! Mine cries a lot!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    thanks. sweat is grossly appealing to me, haha
  • Sarah_Joy
    Sarah_Joy Posts: 1
    Options
    So if I sweat even when I'm not working out I must be super-healthy, huh? (I kid. I have a medical condition--I sweat even when shivering cold.) But take it from a girl with hyperhidrosis: Make sure you replenish those electrolytes you sweat out along with the water so you don't get sick!
  • MamaAlbright
    MamaAlbright Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. If I aint sweating than I aint working hard enough. Im like you I drip sweat when Im done with a workout and even though its gross, its also a very good feeling.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    It kind of sucks in a way, though...

The AC at work has been out for the last 3 months. It used to be that I was just hot and would "glisten". Now, however, I have sweat running down me and making these lovely marks on my dress shirts!
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Small quibble: increased sweating (relative to the individual) can be a sign of increased fitness, not necessarily better health.

Agreed.