Hunger pains!!! What can I do?

Options
Hi all,

I've only just joined on here. And i'm wondering if anyone has any advice about how to get rid of the nasty hunger pains I seem to be getting. I'm trying my best to stay motivated, but every time I feel like i'm getting somewhere I start getting really bad pains again.

I'm trying to lose the baby belly and improve my confidence, but feel like i'm failing. I'm also unsure on what I should and shouldn't be eating.....So far today I've had a bowl of porridge for breakfast and a bowl of bran flakes with sultanas for lunch.

Really appreciate any advice. :)

Replies

• deepavignesh
    deepavignesh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hi,
    initially when i started dieting, i had hunger pains too. just keep some berries or apricots in handy. a cup of blueberries are just 60 clories. or u can try salad without dressing. a cup of italian salad with no dressing is just 20 calories. just replace ur high calorie food with healthy ones. drink lots of water, that will prevent from hunger pains!! hope it helped!!
  • black_sabbath
    Options
    I think a lot of my trouble is being so fussy with food :( It does me no favors. I try keeping topped up with water as best I can and still ache.

I'd try appetite suppressants. But for all I know they could have bad side effects and they cost SO much money!!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Well I think you should start by letting people see your diary so they can offer advice

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you have eaten much so far. If you don't eat again until dinner then you have gone all day on a bowl of bran flakes and some porridge! I would be STARVING by then!

I have 6 x 300 calorie meals a day so I'm never more than a couple of hours from eating - works for me

So by dinner time I have eaten 300 at breakfast, mid morning, lunch and mid afternoon = 1200 calories
    You have probably eaten around 300 by that time!
  • nannon2
    nannon2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Water, Water, Water. It totally makes you feel full and keeps you ok between meals! (and i NEVER drank water before I started)
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    Options
    try a good whey isolate? that always fills me up
  • marcusdee123
    marcusdee123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Really, I think the answer is that you need to eat the calories that MFP recommends. I have a long history of going on drastic diets, then suffering from hunger pains and weakness. Of course, then I'd stop dieting and start gaining weight again. This time around, I'm eating just enough so that I don't feel very hungry, and it's working. I'm losing weight very slowly, but it's staying off and I haven't gone back to my old ways. I eat about 250 calories for breakfast, 450 for lunch, 500-600 for dinner, and maybe 100 for a small snack or two. At first, I was a little bit hungry, but I got used to it. You can do it...just count those calories!!!
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    protein makes those hunger pains go away. eat a small handful of nuts or a hardboiled egg or something like that.
  • carlabarlaboo
    carlabarlaboo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink a huge glass of water! It helps.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Drink a huge glass of water! It helps.

I've heard this one many times and WISH it were true for me - fact is that drinking water doesn't make me feel even the tiniest bit less hungry!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public so we can better comment on it :flowerforyou:

Chances are you're not eating enough - many people start MFP on too few calories. Set yourself to lose 1lb a week and eat back a good proportion of your exercise calories.

If you're still hungry look at changing what you eat to more satisfying foods (a bit more protein, for instance) of if you "run out" of calories do a bit more exercise to eat more.

A bit of it is getting used to it, unfortunately. Before I joined MFP I worked out I was easily eating and drinking 3,000 calories a day. Although my starting MFP recommendation of 1,640 calories was quite modest, it was a lot less food for me!
  • msusol
    msusol Posts: 11
    Options
    your metabolism is probably geared towards protein more than carbs..i have this problem in the morning. if i eat an egg sandwich (sometimes with sausage patty) on an english muffin..i can go all day. if i have the same calories all in carbs i have hunger pains in 2 hrs.
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Drink hot blackcurrent squash!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more. Ditto on the protein. I really like Fage Greek Yogurt. A serving has something like 13 grams of protein and you are getting calcium and probiotics with only 100-120 calories. I am eating between 1400 and 1500 calories and I am losing weight. You don't have to starve yourself.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've only just joined on here. And i'm wondering if anyone has any advice about how to get rid of the nasty hunger pains I seem to be getting. I'm trying my best to stay motivated, but every time I feel like i'm getting somewhere I start getting really bad pains again.

I'm trying to lose the baby belly and improve my confidence, but feel like i'm failing. I'm also unsure on what I should and shouldn't be eating.....So far today I've had a bowl of porridge for breakfast and a bowl of bran flakes with sultanas for lunch.

Really appreciate any advice. :)

I like your screen name. \m/ \m/
  • losingitincollege
    losingitincollege Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate what a few posters before me have said: consume fluids! For me, it's water or unsweetened green tea.

It allows me to feel full without taking in any extra calories. Hope this helps!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Before we give you any advice, make your diary public. Doesn't sound like you had enough protein so far, and that will make you hungry. You need to eat a piece of cheese or meat with most cereals because they don't have enough protein. Those are good foods but perhaps not enough as some others have said.

That's just one of the super features of myfitnesspal that wasn't available with the old diets.
    -We can share our food intake and get advice
    -We can fine tune our intake in advance before we overeat
    -We can be reminded to exercise more if we go over
    -We can scan our food labels which is half the work

I love myfitnesspal.
  • black_sabbath
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys, just one question how do I make the diary public?
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    water doesnt seem to help the pains for me either.... so Im trying hot home made vegetable broth....the warmth seems to calm me, fill my tummy and the flavor is nice, and tricks me into thinking im eating....
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The other thing that helps me a lot is a handful of almonds. If I have a meal that's low in fat, I'll grab a few almonds (6-10) at the ends and munch on those. The small amount of fat helps ME with satiety, as well as provides a healthy fat source for that meal. So long as I grab dry roasted, unsalted the amount of caloric, sodium and fat intake is minimal and helps me keep from getting hungry quickly.

But I'm in the same camp as the other poster who said they eat several 300 calorie meals per day. I usually eat 5-6 meals per day around 300 calories each. I generally try not to eat any food after 8 pm, and usually have the almonds with my last meal to help me out overnight. A little healthy fat along with protein in each meal will go a long way towards staving off hunger!
  • brebrum
    brebrum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sorry but i can't help but laugh at your bowl of porridge, i didn't know anyone other than the three little bears actually ate that!:laugh:
    As far as eating i am no expert however, after many years of trial and error i have discovered it is best not to go on a crash diet and deprive yourself. It makes for a slower progression of results however, a easier maintainable weightloss program to just eat smaller portions and add in some healthier choices. I try to incorporate more fruits and veggies, like one always hears they should do (and snacking on one of these helps with those hunger pains). I also like to keep a crunchy gronola bar on hand if i'm hungry and need a quick snack on the go. I do however, get a desire to eat ice cream and so i have some but just one scoop as opposed to 2 or 3. Addtionally, i have found Edy's makes an awesome sugar free vanilla churned ice cream that is only 100 calories per 1/2 cup. I think the biggest key to weightloss is exercise exercise exercise and eating the suggested amount of calories for your body/age. Lastly, keep those indulgent drinks limited to one or two days a week and only a couple of glasses/bottles. Cheers!:drinker: