afraid to get on scale

Options
I am afraid to get on the scale. I cannot remember the last time I did. I am so ashamed of myself for getting so big and having no self control or balance in my life. It will be another thing to feel like a failure at. I need help!!

Replies

• RMCoffey
    RMCoffey Posts: 27
    Options
    Don't be afraid. Think of it as a starting point. You have to know where you are before you can figure out where you want to be. Set small goals and chip away at it :smile:
  • marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It is so scary, and hard to do, but it will be the first step. Once you do it, that can be your mental and physical starting point- through diet and exercise, that number will go down. As it does, you will get excited and see how far you've come.
    Scales suck and can make us cry, but you are not a failure!
  • MosierTim
    MosierTim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It is so scary, and hard to do, but it will be the first step. Once you do it, that can be your mental and physical starting point- through diet and exercise, that number will go down. As it does, you will get excited and see how far you've come.
    Scales suck and can make us cry, but you are not a failure!

Scales do suck! but it is one way of tracking your progress. I would not step on it too much and would not use it as your only metric for measuring your success but I would definatley do it!.

Sometimes, we need the wake up call. When I stepped on the scale and I was 384.4 lbs, the reality of what I had done to my body sunk in. Use that feeling as fuel! Trust me, you will never want to feel that way again and it will help you in the long run.

I also reccomend you take pictures of your body with and with out clothes so you can look at the progress you have made. While you will not like what you see today, you will be able to look back over time and be able to see all of the amazing things you have done!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: you don't weigh any less just because you don't know. You will be exactly the same physically before and after you step on that scale. And on the plus side, you'll be more knowledgeable and able to change that number.

Not knowing should scare you more than knowing. Take a deep breath, record the number, and then focus on something else. Above all, remember that the number is largely meaningless. You are still the same person and still have your own great qualities regardless of the number on the scale.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: you don't weigh any less just because you don't know. You will be exactly the same physically before and after you step on that scale. And on the plus side, you'll be more knowledgeable and able to change that number.

Not knowing should scare you more than knowing. Take a deep breath, record the number, and then focus on something else. Above all, remember that the number is largely meaningless. You are still the same person and still have your own great qualities regardless of the number on the scale.

I love this answer and couldn't possibly do any better, so. :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Until you do, you will never succeed.

Realize where you are.
    Visualize what it is you WANT
    Choose what it is you WANT
    ACT upon the choice that lead you to..........

SUCCESS

Your journey begins in the mind. 90% of the battle to change is in your head. You have to WANT it to DO it. And stop thinking that it's a difficult challenge. because it is not.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Exactly right....and we have all been there.....and still go there sometimes....one day at a time
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's time to face the music and get on that scale, but not so you can feel bad about how much you weigh. It's so you can know how much you weigh, how much you should weigh, and to keep track in between. You can do it! =)
  • loistryin
    loistryin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses, but I still haven't got on the scale yet.... I plan to this week.... My goal is to have gotten on it by next Monday. Thanks again for the responses. I do need to "hear it" and listen to all the wonderful advice/encouragement. Knowing I am not alone in this battle helps tremendously.
  • loistryin
    Options
    well, I got on the scale but did not look at the number......a coworker started a "Healthiest Loser" group at work....we each put 20 in the kitty and whoever loses the most at the end of eight weeks gets all 200 of it (there are 10 of us)

who looked at the number? my coworker who started the group....she looks at it every Friday and tells me if I have maintained lost or gained....I get on the scale backward not looking at the number

I lost about 8 pounds in the past 4 weeks...... one day I will look at that number but not yet
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I actually use the number on the scale as motivation to stop myself from putting things in my mouth that I know I should not have. I weight myself every morning so... if I binged or ate crap, it shows. It works for me.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A scale is just a tool to let you know where you are...if you don't like the scale, try taking measurements of your arms, chest, stomach, hips, upper legs, and lower legs...you can keep track of these too on MFP (just add them to the "check-in" section under my home)...inches are a great way to track progress.
  • loistryin
    Options
    Well this morning I got on the scale and now I know the dreaded number. I am praying that this time next year it will be 20 pounds less than it was today.
  • pattycakes10117
    pattycakes10117 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great!!! You are gettng somewhere. You are making progress. One day you will be able to turn around and look down. Can't say I like the scale part either.........but it just tells me there needs to be something done about it.
    Keep going sweetie..........you are doing fine.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hey...Lot's of us have been in the same boat. In August of 2011 when i was desperate to start changing my life...All I knew is that the scale was still moving up at 250lbs, when I jumped off (I'm 5' 11"). I didnt get back on the scale for six months when I was 238.5lbs...I wish I had accurately weighed myself, to know exactly how much i've lost...I know it's in the neighborhood of 60lbs, but not the exact ammount.
    Congratulations for being honest with yourself. The time will pass before you know it, and you will be proud of the work you will have done.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would say to please stop blaming yourself as it is of no utility. Make tomorrow the day that you seize!
  • loistryin
    Options
    Great!!! You are gettng somewhere. You are making progress. One day you will be able to turn around and look down. Can't say I like the scale part either.........but it just tells me there needs to be something done about it.
    Keep going sweetie..........you are doing fine.
  • loistryin
    Options
    Patty, I am looking through old posts as I have some rare spare time. Thank you for this encouragement. I did well this past summer (I teach) but had little stress. I always do better with less stress. School/work began and I did worse.... I am not giving up however and today preplanned for today and tomorrow. I put the meals up on the fridge. I plan to create some more dailly plans in advance. My husband does the cooking for the most part and we often look at each other with the What do you want for dinner question. If we preplan I am hoping it will take some of the stress of that question off and help to not overeat. Anyways...I hope you see this to let you know you encouraged me today....well after you posted it. Happy New Year!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Until you do, you will never succeed.

Realize where you are.
    Visualize what it is you WANT
    Choose what it is you WANT
    ACT upon the choice that lead you to..........

SUCCESS

Your journey begins in the mind. 90% of the battle to change is in your head. You have to WANT it to DO it. And stop thinking that it's a difficult challenge. because it is not.

I luv this. I weight myself every morning. Very controversial as u have to be able to mentally handle a 1-3 lb wt increase even when u r following your plan. This keeps me from shoving things into my mouth as I know I have to face the scale in the morning. I have stopped this habit a few times and I find that I then allow myself to start eating more as I don't have to get in the scale. One ya leads to a week then a month and then 10 extra lbs. this works for me
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    then do not
    i do not even own a scale.
    only you can make the changes.
    how bad do you want it.
    go kick some butt