C25K discouraged, please share....

Options
....your c25k hardships to successes,

especially....
if you have 50 + pounds to lose or are over 200lbs [or were when they started running? --- not to minimize anyone else, you all rock for being able to succeed at it! :drinker: ] I am still feeling like running is some exclusive club i won't be allowed to join...

I am just feeling really discouraged with the c25k....
I can elliptical til the cows come home, do laps in the pool, an hour of zumba and still feel like i want to do more after....but c25k....I am on week 1 for the 3rd week....I struggle after the 4th running interval [and my "jog" is barely any faster then my walk].... i get intense pain in the side of my calves...i keep going, like super walk it out the rest of the way, and try to do more intervals but usually end up only doing about 30 seconds, and yet one night the other night i almost made it though all of them....

will I ever be ready to move on to week 2 and upward???? :sad:
will i still see changes with what i am doing? how do i know im using proper "form"?

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I started this program in Dec. I weighed around 165 which meant I was still in the obese category.

It took me longer than 9 weeks to get through it and I couldn't do the whole 5k in the time of the last week (30 min?) ... it took me a bit longer to be able to run a full 5k (it took me about 37 minutes to do it at that time).

Now I'm training for a half-marathon. And my last triathlon, I did the run (5k in length) in 31 minutes - so around a 10 minute mile pace!

So the program really does work. You just have to stick with it and take your time.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    There are different types of cardio as you mentioned (eliptical, swimming) and they each use different muscles. So it's normal that you might find some easier (especially if you've been doing them for longer) Running takes a lot of effort but is also a great work out if you don't hurt yourself. Which brings me to what you said about your calves. Intense pain is NOT normal. Since you said it was in the side of your calf it may be shin splints or stress fractures. It is very important to warm up and stretch. I run a couple of miles at time and I like to walk 1/2 mile to warm up and then I stretch really good. Running will get easier if you are patient. Check out this website about shin splints. http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php It could also be that you have the wrong type of running shoes. Many shoe stores can help you determine what's best for you by looking at your arches and how you walk/run. I highly recommend this. Good shoes make a big difference. If the pain persists see a doctor. Sometimes mental blocks make us think we can't physically finish for this I suggest doing it with a friend or think about your goals when you feel like quitting. But most important if you have severe pain, stop! Stretch, warm up more, try it again but don't push through severe pain that will lead to serious injury. Good luck!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing....mind my asking what were your setbacks to moving on a week etc?....
    for example for me it seems to be pain, not endurance or breathlessness or anything like that.

thank you again :flowerforyou:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    There are different types of cardio as you mentioned (eliptical, swimming) and they each use different muscles. So it's normal that you might find some easier (especially if you've been doing them for longer) Running takes a lot of effort but is also a great work out if you don't hurt yourself. Which brings me to what you said about your calves. Intense pain is NOT normal. Since you said it was in the side of your calf it may be shin splints or stress fractures. It is very important to warm up and stretch. I run a couple of miles at time and I like to walk 1/2 mile to warm up and then I stretch really good. Running will get easier if you are patient. Check out this website about shin splints. http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php It could also be that you have the wrong type of running shoes. Many shoe stores can help you determine what's best for you by looking at your arches and how you walk/run. I highly recommend this. Good shoes make a big difference. If the pain persists see a doctor. Sometimes mental blocks make us think we can't physically finish for this I suggest doing it with a friend or think about your goals when you feel like quitting. But most important if you have severe pain, stop! Stretch, warm up more, try it again but don't push through severe pain that will lead to serious injury. Good luck!

thank you, i dont think it's shin splints, it's the side of my lower leg....feels like a big knot in the side...its not as bad as it used to be and when it hurts too much i just power walk the rest of the way til it fades out....mentally i am ready or so i thought like i said the other day i pretty much did all the intervals except one....and then today i was back to struggling....

edit: hmmmm reading the article you provided now i am unsure if maybe it is infact shinspints because of the way i pronate...but the pain doesn't continue when i stop so i don't think so [ stuff i am reading says to ice etc...but by the time i walk my cool down and get home...the pain is minimal]
  • Shelley130
    Shelley130 Posts: 142
    Options
    oops double post.
  • Shelley130
    Shelley130 Posts: 142
    Options
    I tried it last week but just don't think I'm ready. I weigh 235 at 5'5" (down from 248 on Aug 1st) I can walk fine at 3mph, "jog" at 4mph for 10 min straight but I just get too tired doing the intervals. I'm trying to walk at 3.0 mph and jog at 5.0 mph. My feet feel on fire, my ankle burns, and my legs make me want to cry.

I guess some might consider it quitting but I'm gonna try again when I hit 220. Should be in Oct.

I know this wasn't exactly encouraging but just want you to know that you're not alone in your struggles. :flowerforyou:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    what kind of shoes are you wearing?
    If your wearing "sneakers" or old running shoes, that might be your problem.

When I started I wasn't ready to jog, so I started walking, then some power walking. Extended my walks to approx 4-5 mile walks. Then I found out about interval and C25k. I made myself jog some distances and then walk. During this time, I had some pain in my legs, "shin splints". I made sure I was stretching, but not until I got a good pair of running shoes did it dissappear.

Hope this helps,
    Good luck.
  • Magenta15
    Options
    I tried it last week but just don't think I'm ready. I weigh 235 at 5'5" (down from 248 on Aug 1st) I can walk fine at 3mph, "jog" at 4mph for 10 min straight but I just get too tired doing the intervals. I'm trying to walk at 3.0 mph and jog at 5.0 mph. My feet feel on fire, my ankle burns, and my legs make me want to cry.

I guess some might consider it quitting but I'm gonna try again when I hit 220. Should be in Oct.

I know this wasn't exactly encouraging but just want you to know that you're not alone in your struggles. :flowerforyou:

no thank you very much, it is good to know i am not alone. i am at 219 right now...5'6"
    but i dont ever remember liking running even as a kid lol
    i am trying really hard to just get out there, out on the music and enjoy it ...:flowerforyou:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what time frame you are using for intervals, but if you can jog for 10 mins straight you should be ok.
    When I started "intevals", I walked, jogged for 20-30 secs, walked and waited for heartbeat to come down and then jogged again for 20-30 sec. Repeat. Each day extending the jogging time.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    I started couch to 5k at 250 lbs. I know if can be difficult but you should keep at it. You will get stronger. These guys make some great points. Bad shoes can hurt you. I would also say to make sure you get a good stretch before AND after you run. When I first started my legs felt like they would fall off and I could barely go 30 seconds without gasping for air. My last 5k time was 24:00 and I am looking forward to a Duathlon this weekend. Good luck and keep at it. It's not an exclusive club. I know you can do it in time.

:drinker:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    THank you peter, thank you spyguy for the encouragement...i will keep trying, i guess i just wanted to know that this was "normal" :flowerforyou:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    for those of you who've asked about my shoes

well first i guess my arch is a lil on the high side:
    High arch
    This means that you tend to underpronate. Your foot strike tends to roll outward. Look for highly-cushioned shoes that have plenty of flexibility to encourage foot motion. Stay away from motion-control and stability shoes, because they reduce the mobility of your feet.

and the shoe i have is rykä - running. and it says guidance control on the bottom whatever that means?

:huh:
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I started c25k but the walking /running/walking thing didn't work for me. When I started it I was around 215 pounds. What I ended up doing was my own program. I had a starting point and a route mapped out that was a 1/2 mile out, 1/2 mile back to my starting point. I started by running or jogging until I couldn't go any further, then I walked the rest. I would do that at least 5 out of 7 days. The next week I tried to go a little further, even if it was just a telephone pole out. I did this until I could finally run the entire mile without stopping. I'm to the point now that I can run almost 4 miles without too much wear and tear.

You can do this, just take it slow and listen to your body.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I forgot to mention I had some lower leg pain during running not too long ago, rested for two weeks and still couldn't even jog lightly without pain. I assumed it was shin splints or over doing it. Went to the chiropractor last week for an unrelated issue and found out one side of my body was out of alignment and he felt confident this is what had caused my leg pain (too much pressure from out of alignment joints). So I had my body "realigned" and the pain is gone! So one more thing to consider.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    It's not easy, that's for sure! I am a little over 200 lbs, and it's tough. I am supposed to start week 5 tomorrow, but I may have to do week 4 again.

Like the old saying goes "Nothing worthwhile is easy"!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I think you are going too fast, its not a race, you are just trying to do it , just to complete the program. I think you may want to slow it down a bit , and you will see you can do it.

tonight I ran ( jogged) 3.1 miles, at a 4.2 . I am 5'4 and weight 196 lbs. I am not going to win any races at this rate, but I feel pretty damn good about what I have done!! Granted tonight, if I had gone another minute, I would have hurled :sick: lol
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Polliesgirl, I just wanted to join in the conversation to encourage you. I don't have 50+ pounds to lose and have never weighed 200 pounds but I am an old lady (55 years old) and definitely out of shape. I started the c25k program because of my daughter and last night I finished day 1 of week 3. Now let me tell you, it wasn't very long ago, (I'm talking a few months) that I could barely walk up a flight of stairs or run several feet to catch a bus. I would be huffing and puffing. So if an old lady like me can do this program, so can you. :smile:

Like Tamishumate said, this isn't a race. The 9 weeks is just a guide. There's no rule that says you have to stick with that plan. Don't push yourself to the point that you're going to get burned out on it. It you have to take it slower or repeat a week, then take it a little slower and repeat each week until you feel like you're ready to move on. You should enjoy running and the end goal is to eventually run a 5k. But there's really no set time you have to run that 5k.

Please don't get discouraged and think this is an exclusive club that you're not allowed to join. Hey, if an old lady like me can join the club, than a young woman like you can join too. :laugh: Just keep posting and let us know how you're doing and we'll keep encouraging you.

The fact that you started the c25k makes you a member of this club. :happy: Good luck to you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I developed shin splints when "running" (barely a jog :wink: ). I found if I set the treadmill to DECLINE (instead of flat or incline), I was able to run without pain.

Was it easier? Probably.
    Did it allow me to keep running and build stamina? Yes!

After a while, the shin splints eased up and I went back to flat-land'ing it to run.

Be sure to do LONG STRETCHES after running, focusing on those lower legs to help ease that pain. I do yoga stretches after running, usually for about 7 minutes.

:flowerforyou:

EDIT - I also never completed the C25k. Still a work in progress!! But I got up to being able to run an 11m30s mile!!! Once ran 1.25 miles without stopping!!!! I'll pick back up the program and complete it one day. :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what time frame you are using for intervals, but if you can jog for 10 mins straight you should be ok.
    When I started "intevals", I walked, jogged for 20-30 secs, walked and waited for heartbeat to come down and then jogged again for 20-30 sec. Repeat. Each day extending the jogging time.

I started with jogging 30secs too. During a 30 min walk!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    For those who are experiencing pains while running, you might want to have someone look at your stride. You don't want to be "overstriding" which is when you step out and land with your leg well in front of your body.