Is it Really Exercise or Am I Cheating?

Options

Replies

• mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    If it takes me more then a half hour to clean I add it, basically if I really work up a sweat its more then I "normally" do.

To me "lightly active" is doing SOMETHING (i.e. playing outside with the kids, walking around from station to station at work (not completely sedentary at your desk all day), etc) on a daily basis so if in addition to these things you're doing some "spring cleaning" or washing your car and like some other posters said it works up a sweat or takes more than 30 mins then sure....count it. I mean I don't really think MFP would consider washing your car as part of a lightly active lifestyle....how many ppl wash their cars everyday? but you've got to be realistic on the calorie burn. It won't really be all that much to write home about but activity is activity. Beats sitting around watching tv!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't bother, especially if you already have lightly active in your settings. You don't burn calories unless your heartrate is increased.. I think by adding them, you are allowing yourself eat more when you're not really burning the calories you think you are

False. You are always burning calories, Hence a bmr. But I probably wouldn't include light housecleaning unless it's like a heavy cleaning day where you're really getting down and dirty.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't add anything that I did while I was gaining weight. I have always gardened, cleaned, moved furniture, etc. I only log actual workouts. I also have my profile set to lightly active, which for me is probably too low, but I'd rather have it that way than overestimate calories burned.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor when you do it. If you stay in your burning zone the whole time, then count it. If you don't, then it didn't count. Like others have said, it's about having an elevated heart rate. So just make sure that you're doing your part to get the heart rate up. I never count cleaning, even when I'm doing a good scrubbing.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I counted all the regular stuff when I was set at sedentary. But I changed to lightly active, because staying at home with two active boys is not equivalent to a desk job. Now I only record workouts and bigger stuff like washing walls, scrubbing floors or the tub, moving furniture, etc. I've worn my hem and found I burn more doing those things than an "acceptable" yoga session or brisk walk.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Anything you do above and beyond your daily routine is exercise." [/quote]

During the summer I have my activity level set at sedentary because I am not teaching in a classroom walking, bending, moving. In addition, I don't clean my bathroom every day! Neither do I scrub my floors, run the vacuum nor mow the lawn everyday! Therefore, I count them as excercise. I work hard when I clean so if that means I get an extra piece of chicken...then I'm taking it!

I believe your activity should be based on your real life, every day activity. If you clean something everyday...then bump up your activity level and only count "excercise".
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I dont log cleaning and anytime I do extra like yard work, moving furniture, scrub my 2 level house top to bottom, I consider it "extra" burn that I am not aware of in my food diary. Like a cushion if I accidentely over estimate my calories eatin or exercise burned. I use a HRM becaue MFP either tells me I burned way to high or way to low.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You don't say how successful you've been, but you've been a member for more than 1.5 years and only show a loss of 5 pounds so I'm guessing you haven't been. That means that you're not creating as big of a calorie deficit as you think you are, probably by "double dipping" your exercise calories

I spent some time a while ago trying to figure out how best to account for additional daily activity without double dipping. I found the following chart to be helpful

Classification of pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:
    1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"
    2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active."
    3) 7,500-9,999 likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
    4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".

Based on that I set myself at sedentary because without actively trying to get more steps in my day I was logging around 3,000/day (desk job). I wear a pedometer daily to track my activity, but to be sure I'm not double counting I only log steps taken above 5,000. I don't log typical cleaning (vacuming, mopping, dusting, dishes, toilet scrubbing) as separate exercise, rather I figure that it ends up in my steps taken per day calc and it works itself out. I WOULD log something if it was a significant physical exertion - painting, etc. I've been steadily losing weight at about 1.5 lbs/week, even though I have MFP set to 1 lb/week so something's working!

I wrote a blog post about my method of logging calories above my baseline activity level if you're interested in more info (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/msudaisy28/view/incorporating-more-daily-activity-231335). On the plus side, I'm now averaging around 7,500 steps/day so I'm considering upping myself to lightly active and only logging above that amount :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If it is NOT of the normal daily life and you PURPOSEFULLY exercise/walk/hike/ride bikes with the kids....then Log it. Cleaning house is bull$hit. unless you are doing a top to bottom clean and sweating your *kitten* off.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't bother, especially if you already have lightly active in your settings. You don't burn calories unless your heartrate is increased.. I think by adding them, you are allowing yourself eat more when you're not really burning the calories you think you are
    You burn calories just by being alive – when you are lying down, or doing nothing...

You knew the poster meant ADDITIONAL calories, don't be THAT guy....
    When people post Absolutes, and what they say is easy to misunderstand, then Yes I am “that guy” WETFTMs.
    But the poster was both unclear and wrong. You don’t “only” burn calories when your heart rate is raised were that true you’d burn nothing when you sleep. 350 to 400 per night avg
    Driving a car 300 cal per hour
    Chatting on your cell 110 per hour
    Sitting at your desk and playing with you pencil 200 to 300 per day,
    none of which will raise your heart rate much

Jesus Christ.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I don't record house cleaning or any chores around the house because to me, that's just my regular daily activity level.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I only track things that I did NOT do before my lifestyle change. So all the crap that we do every day anyways (cooking, cleaning, washing the car, doing the laundry, etc.) well, to me that doesn't count as "exercise" that's just LIFE! LOL
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The only activity that I log that isn't a work out is mowing the lawn, since it isn't a daily occurrence and I break a sweat doing it, and when I do a heavy duty cleaning. The cleaning I normally log as light cleaning even though I am out of breath afterwards. I under estimate my exercise and over estimate the food calories. Then I usually come out as a deficit.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I never log daily activity! That may cause you to eat more because you think you have more calories then you actually do.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My opinion is it's not exercise unless it makes you sweat, increases your heart rate and leaves you out of breath. ;o)
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    My opinion is it's not exercise unless it makes you sweat, increases your heart rate and leaves you out of breath. ;o)

This ^^^
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    For the very reason you state, I only include aerobic exercise as exercise... And.. I also note "Sedentary"... The reason for that though is even aerobic exercise is only replacing caloric burn one would get from sitting and breathing... Example...

If I as a sedentary individual burn let's say 2400 calories per day (nice round number)... That would equal out to be 100 calories per hour. If then I burn let's say 565 calories walking for an hour, I have not actually burned an EXTRA 565 calories but rather an extra 465 calories... (565 for the activity - 100 calories I would have burned anyway)... Therefore, I hedge my bets a bit and don't include everything I do...

That being said, if you are logging everything and seeing the results you want to see, I don't think it is a big deal.. If, however, you are not seeing the results you THOUGHT you would... you may have just hit on the reason why... Best wishes on your journey.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    I quit my job this week, I was a waitress and back then I was set as lightly active. Meaning I was running around 8 hrs straight or frequently on my feet.

Now I'm at sedantary and I do not log cleaning. But everything that gets my heart rate above the 120's. I recently created an exercise called Shopping :D
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning or housework...I do it at too slow a pace to call it exercise LOL
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    When you set it at lightly active, it means that your daily activities are already accounted there so logging it will be like double punching the numbers which makes it sound like a cheating. I have mine set at lightly active because I commute from work to home, walk about 2 miles from the office to the nearest bus station plus everyday I climb stairs to our office & to the train station. So since I already set it that way so I don't log my other activities like lightly/moderately cleaning house, walking, shopping etc. I only log my activities if it made my entire body fatigued such as vigorous house cleaning (general cleaning of entire house). But other than that, I only log my actual workouts.