Weight vs. Measurements

Options

Replies

• spearson288
    spearson288 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was just talking about this with the manfriend a couple of nights ago. I've only lost 4lbs, which is great for 2 weeks on the plan, but there's clothes I'm getting into that I didn't fit before but 4lbs shouldn't have made the difference between that button closing or not so if must be inches I'm losing.

Before I started this I changed my scales to display lbs rather than stones as I didn't want to het hung up on how my h I weigh per se. I do want to know they're generally going in the right direction. I hope that makes sense? LOL.

It's incredible isn't it! Like I said originally I have only lost 7lbs, but the inches are crazy! and of course I only recently started loosing it in area's I wanted it gone (tummy and legs) but those are the two hardest parts to lose.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to get below 195 pounds. I know I'm building muscle and stuff but come oooon. I'm sick of having bad numbers on my weigh in day. I hate hitting a plateau every 10 pounds or so when I'm nowhere near my goal. :(

Bad numbers are only bad if you make them so. That's exactly what this post is about even though you may be at a plateau for weight loss if you are taking your measurements you body might still be changing or if you find a time where nothing is occurring you can go back to your food diary and see if that may be the cause.

Weight loss is a learning curve as much as it is a journey. You get to know what works for you and what doesn't. :)

I've been losing weight for 2 years and only got 53 pounds off. I thought I would have lost the entire 100 pounds I needed to lose by now. This needs to go faster. I want to get to my goal and be successful already. I'm very impatient and I need to start seeing results again. >.<
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Weight is totally secondary to body measurements to me, and MFP needs to focus on body fat more as opposed to mere weight as a standard of success.
    That's my one beef with MFP. It a total weakness here, but you can tailor your "check in" variables for whatever.
    My primary measurement is body fat followed by belly measurement followed by weight.

The scale can lie as bad as the man in the mirror.:bigsmile:

I am the same way, measurements are way more important to me now that I have started taking them opposed to weight loss.
    I reached my weight goals nearly a year ago, so it is hard to get into the mindset of embracing another standard.
    Live and learn....
  • spearson288
    Options
    Weight is totally secondary to body measurements to me, and MFP needs to focus on body fat more as opposed to mere weight as a standard of success.
    That's my one beef with MFP. It a total weakness here, but you can tailor your "check in" variables for whatever.
    My primary measurement is body fat followed by belly measurement followed by weight.

The scale can lie as bad as the man in the mirror.:bigsmile:

I am the same way, measurements are way more important to me now that I have started taking them opposed to weight loss.
    I reached my weight goals nearly a year ago, so it is hard to get into the mindset of embracing another standard.
    Live and learn....

That's awesome Congratulations!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days. I then plot it in excel and pay attention to the trend line. Yes. I'm a nerd.

Also my measurements takes months to change, and who knows if I'm measuring on exactly the same spot anyway. I go by how I look in the mirror or pictures, how I physically feel, and how my clothes fit.

Over the last 4 months measurements and the scale haven't change but I swear my work pants fit a tiny bit looser.
  • spearson288
    Options
    I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to get below 195 pounds. I know I'm building muscle and stuff but come oooon. I'm sick of having bad numbers on my weigh in day. I hate hitting a plateau every 10 pounds or so when I'm nowhere near my goal. :(

Bad numbers are only bad if you make them so. That's exactly what this post is about even though you may be at a plateau for weight loss if you are taking your measurements you body might still be changing or if you find a time where nothing is occurring you can go back to your food diary and see if that may be the cause.

Weight loss is a learning curve as much as it is a journey. You get to know what works for you and what doesn't. :)

I've been losing weight for 2 years and only got 53 pounds off. I thought I would have lost the entire 100 pounds I needed to lose by now. This needs to go faster. I want to get to my goal and be successful already. I'm very impatient and I need to start seeing results again. >.<

53 lbs is still incredible!! I agree it is so much easier to put weight on than it is to take it off, but the struggle to take it off also (in my case at least) makes me think about putting it back on, and resorting to the old ways of not caring what junk I put into my body.

Have you tried taking measurements?
  • Erisad
    Options

53 lbs is still incredible!! I agree it is so much easier to put weight on than it is to take it off, but the struggle to take it off also (in my case at least) makes me think about putting it back on, and resorting to the old ways of not caring what junk I put into my body.

I guess it is but it stops being incredible when people ask how much I've lost and I still have the same number as the last time I've seen them. Then they give me a look like, "really? What happened? You haven't given up have you??" Also my grandmother keeps bringing yummy candy and chips into the house, STOP IIIT or at least hide it from me. Dammit. :/

I do take measurements once a month and I have found that they haven't had much of a difference lately. I may lose a half inch somewhere but it's like, really? I worked out for a month and that's all I get? I gain 1.4 pounds and only lose a half inch somewhere that no one would even notice.
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and I love it already, but one thing I see a lot of people posting about is their weight and it going up and down about 1-2 lbs. That is regular fluctuation. Nothing to be worried about!

If there is one thing that I have learned in my weight loss journey is that you MUST and I mean MUST take measurements. Neck, Arms, Chest, Diaphram, Waist, Abdomen, Legs, Calves even your knee's!!!!!!!!

I personally have not lost a whole lot of weight since April when I started hitting the gym hard again. I have only lost 7lbs, but I have lost 22.5 inches overall on my body. Muscle weighs more than fat so yes you may not be seeing the numbers drop but that does not mean that your body is not changing.

You should only be weighing in 1 time a week, and you should be taking your measurements every 2-4.

how are you measuring your diaphragm? I think I may be taking you too literal, as there are only 2 diaphragms to measure one you can't do without an autopsy or ultrasound; the second, your doctor does when he teaches you to insert it...
  • spearson288
    Options

I guess it is but it stops being incredible when people ask how much I've lost and I still have the same number as the last time I've seen them. Then they give me a look like, "really? What happened? You haven't given up have you??" Also my grandmother keeps bringing yummy candy and chips into the house, STOP IIIT or at least hide it from me. Dammit. :/

I do take measurements once a month and I have found that they haven't had much of a difference lately. I may lose a half inch somewhere but it's like, really? I worked out for a month and that's all I get? I gain 1.4 pounds and only lose a half inch somewhere that no one would even notice.

I agree its difficult and frustrating. But even little accomplishments should be taken as a positive.
  • spearson288
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and I love it already, but one thing I see a lot of people posting about is their weight and it going up and down about 1-2 lbs. That is regular fluctuation. Nothing to be worried about!

If there is one thing that I have learned in my weight loss journey is that you MUST and I mean MUST take measurements. Neck, Arms, Chest, Diaphram, Waist, Abdomen, Legs, Calves even your knee's!!!!!!!!

I personally have not lost a whole lot of weight since April when I started hitting the gym hard again. I have only lost 7lbs, but I have lost 22.5 inches overall on my body. Muscle weighs more than fat so yes you may not be seeing the numbers drop but that does not mean that your body is not changing.

You should only be weighing in 1 time a week, and you should be taking your measurements every 2-4.

how are you measuring your diaphragm? I think I may be taking you too literal, as there are only 2 diaphragms to measure one you can't do without an autopsy or ultrasound; the second, your doctor does when he teaches you to insert it...

LOL!! I was reading off a measurement chart I have and in brackets beside Diaphragm it says rib cage :P
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    okay phew! I was even googling and not finding anything else, and then I was like aw man did I just sound like a beotch :(

Thanks for clarifying!! :flowerforyou:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

been reading my mail?
    Seriously, if anybody is into this a while, do take body measurements. You will be glad, because on those seasons where the scale won't budge, you have another cross reference to offset the fear.
    Just a thought...
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you are on a calorie deficit, you are NOT building muscle. You can't create something from nothing so unless you eat a surplus, then you aren't gaining muscle. The bigger thing to question is whether you are eating too much, not enough or don't have a exercise regime conducive to fat loss/weight loss. If you want, hit me up and we can look at it.
    Wow, I was just talking about this with the manfriend a couple of nights ago. I've only lost 4lbs, which is great for 2 weeks on the plan, but there's clothes I'm getting into that I didn't fit before but 4lbs shouldn't have made the difference between that button closing or not so if must be inches I'm losing.

Before I started this I changed my scales to display lbs rather than stones as I didn't want to het hung up on how my h I weigh per se. I do want to know they're generally going in the right direction. I hope that makes sense? LOL.

You have to remember, when you lose weight, you lose it from your arms, feet, legs, etc.. its not a concentrated area. I lost 1 lb and went down a pant size because I am focused on fat loss. But many people didn't lose a size until they lost 30 lbs.
  • Erisad
    Options

If you are on a calorie deficit, you are NOT building muscle. You can't create something from nothing so unless you eat a surplus, then you aren't gaining muscle. The bigger thing to question is whether you are eating too much, not enough or don't have a exercise regime conducive to fat loss/weight loss. If you want, hit me up and we can look at it.

Okay, some people say you can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Now I'm confused. So should I not bother lifting weights until I'm skinny? If I can't do both then why bother? Ugh. This is so ****ing confusing. I should save up for surgery and get it over it.
  • gabyks
    gabyks Posts: 9
    Options
    I suspect you'll continue to be frustrated if weight-loss is your only measure of success. Looking at other metrics can give you a better picture. You do want to gain muscle, in my opinion, for all of the reasons you're familiar with. You'll not only look better, but you'll be more capable physically. With every bit of strength I gain, I can push myself a little harder doing the activities I enjoy (and that burn fat).

As others have pointed out, a lb of muscle takes up less space than a lb of fat. So even if you didn't lose per the scale, you'd still shrink. BTW, I've known many competitive rowers, and it's not uncommon at all to see a 160-170 lb woman who's ripped and looks fabulous. And by appearances, you'd probably assume she was at least 20-30lbs lighter.

I'm a big fan of taking measurements. I enjoy sewing, and make a lot of my own clothes so I measure myself often to ensure fit. It's fun to see body-composition changes. For instance, the key places I measure for circumferance around my upper-body tell me not just that I'm losing bodyfat, but that I'm building muscle. So for instance, as I gain muscle and lose fat, the full part of my bust shrinks, while the high-bust or upper chest area is more filled out.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bump, its so true.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Okay, some people say you can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Now I'm confused. So should I not bother lifting weights until I'm skinny? If I can't do both then why bother? Ugh. This is so ****ing confusing. I should save up for surgery and get it over it.

What this means is that if you are eating too few calories (under 1200 for most people), then your body is not getting enough calories to support muscle growth. It takes a lot of energy to build muscle, and if you are eating too little, you are in fact, creating the opposite effect - by burning calories during weight training AND starting off with a calorie deficit, your body is eating up both fat AND muscle to sustain itself. So, you'll lose weight, but in both fat AND muscle mass, which is not healthy.

But, you CAN build muscle while losing weight. The best way I've found to go about it is to set your goals with MFP, eat healthy foods all the way up to your calorie allotment set by MFP, exercise regularly (either cardio or weight training), and eat back a portion of the exercise calories burned (I shoot for around 50%) on the days you exercise.

And finally - Don't give up! You have come so far already. There is a lot you can do to get past a plateau. But that's a whole other thread. :wink:
  • dakota1978
    dakota1978 Posts: 11
    Options

It's incredible isn't it! Like I said originally I have only lost 7lbs, but the inches are crazy! and of course I only recently started loosing it in area's I wanted it gone (tummy and legs) but those are the two hardest parts to lose.

Same here, my tummy, bum and thighs are my problem areas. I'm doing a 5k for charity on Sunday and started training for it just 4 weeks ago. I'm out running several times per week (the first I've ran for more than a bus in 15 years) and although I'm only out for half an hour each time, I can see my thighs are shaping up. Sure, the casual viewer will likely just see chunky fat thighs, but there is definitely a difference. I'm not hating it as much as I was 4 weeks ago (not QUITE loving it yet though lol) and I decided I'm not going to stop running after Sunday.

There was a groupon deal for pole dancing so I bought the deal. I was wary about it but it's seriously the best thing I've done this year. It's fun, no way sleazy and my stomach is emerging from it. I highly recommend it.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    So true!

I wish I had taken my measurements when I started, but I didn't take them until just last year. But it's been nice to see that even though I'm on maintenance and my weight is staying pretty much the same that I am losing inches.

I try to encourage people that are starting out to take their measurements, because they will regret it later if they don't!