The Scale in a Doctor's Office

Options
13»

Replies

• Joanne_8595
    Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We recently purchased a digital scale to place our old analog one. The first time I stepped on, I was 5 lbs heavier. Not knowing which was more accurate to my actual weight, I decided to measure the precision (yes, I geek out on numbers). So for a week, I measured myself with both and consistently there was a 5 lb difference even as my weight fluctuated normally. So while I may not know my "true weight", I can still see trends. Am I losing, gaining, or maintaining?

If you have weights at home just put those on the scale to see how accurate it is, that's what I do.

What a great idea! Just need to find something I know weighs a certain amount and then use that to test it! Thanks...
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It could be where it's at in their office. If it's on a slant or not. What time of day you went. It could be a number of things.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I turn backwards so I don't even see the scale. They are always different and I don't need the let down!
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Why, oh why does the doctor office scale show me weigh more at their office than at home?
    Today I weighed before I went and there was a 2.2 lb increase.
    :mad:

I have a different issue every time i go to my doctor they measure my height on the scale. Every time they say something different. I dont trust anything they say. I went to this hands on science museum a few years back and they had this lazer thing to measure how tall you were thats the one i go by for everything. Drivers license or other forms that needs my height.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I find that the doctor scales are always off. every time i get weighed at the doctor, i'm like 4-5 pounds heavier according to their scale. i don't know why. but i've always noticed this as well.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite - I went to the doc's and I was 2lb lighter than at home! Result!
    This happened to me too!! it was the BEST feeling ever!!:wink:
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    if they weigh you on those big metal monsters with the sliders at the top; those do weigh heavier... If they are digital, then my only explanation is all scales weigh differently and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Go by the one you use at home to weigh in on... :smile:
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I always weigh lighter at the dr's office. Just go off of your own scale to track your progress. In all reality, our bodies are constantly within a weight range. That 2 lbs could be a cup of coffee and breakfast. Don't stress if their number is higher.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I work in a doctors office. My patients always say that our scale weighs about 4lbs heavier. My only explanation is...you probably weigh in at home before you eat or drink anything and you are probably naked. At our office you may have eaten or drank coffee or water and you are dressed. Clothes weigh more than you think. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just go off of what your home scale says since that is the one you weighed in on in the beginning.
    Exactly! That's why I don't care what the scale says, I've even stepped on it wearing shoes and holding my purse until the nurse told me to remove them. That's how irrelevant the reading is to me. They just want an idea of where I'm at and the scale gives them a close window.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My trainer and I both have digital scales. the doctor has the old sliding bar. I go with the accuracy of the digital.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Dr office scales are always off. They don't get calibrated as often as they need to and are being used a lot. I went to the dr one day and it showed almost 5 lbs over. I was like "your scales are broke". They just laughed at me and says "that what everyone says". I said no really. I know for a fact cuz I just had weigh in and that scale matches my one at home. A little later I saw someone come in to calibrate the scales. lol So just ignore what they say and use the same scale you have been using.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There was an 8lb difference once! i would just go by your scale :)
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I had a routine physical yesterday. I weighed on our warehouse scale at work, then on the dr's scale about 30 minutes later. The doc's scale said 1 lb less than the warehouse scale.
    Same story six months ago at my previous exam.
    At least, it's consistent.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Why, oh why does the doctor office scale show me weigh more at their office than at home?
    Today I weighed before I went and there was a 2.2 lb increase.
    :mad:

There are several differences between home-weighed me and doctor-weighed me.

1. When I weigh at home, I get up out of bed, sit on the throne, and weigh myself. I have rid myself of a good amount of undigested food, and I am wearing very little and nothing that weighs more than a few ounces.

2. When my doctor weighs me, it's usually in the afternoon on my way home from work or on the way in to work after breakfast (that's when I schedule my doctor's visits). There is usually food in my belly, and almost always food in my colon. There is a decent amount of water. And I don't consider it polite to strip down to my underwear in the doctor's office to get weighed in, so often the only thing I take off is my shoes. So I've got a wallet, leather belt, leatherman tool, large smartphone, blue jeans, keys, and pocket change at a minimum adding extra weight. I've never weighed a change of clothes with all the stuff I have attached, but I bet it's easily 2 pounds.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    My weight in my doctor's office is consistently 12 lbs heavier than at home. I'm sure some of that is clothes, shoes, hydration, food, and poop. At home, I always weigh myself naked first thing in the morning after peeing and before eating or drinking. At the doctor's office, I've had breakfast including a glass or two of water and couple cups of coffee.

And yet, the last time I was at the doctor, I got on the balance type scale. The physician's assistant adjusted the weights and announced 208, ten pounds less than the 218 I'd measured that very morning naked, dehydrated, and hungry. I gave the PA a quizzical look as I got off the scale. He could tell I didn't believe it and told me to get back on the scale. This time I was 230 lbs: 22 lbs more, 30 seconds later, same scale, same weigher, same weighee, identically clothed, identically feed, and identically full of crap.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Maybe the darn nurse was behind you with her toes on the scale....lol..yeah they do that!