Eating Healthy and STARVING!

Options

Replies

• chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    So far today you have eaten NO real protein!! the little you got is from milk... For Breakfast try eggbeaters, 1/2 c is a lot of egg and only 60 cal and 12 g of protein! or maybe an atkins protein bar, they taste pretty good, high in protein and low in carbs!!
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I find on the days I don't have enough protein, I am hungrier then the days I eat enough protein. I'm starting to get where I eat a little oatmeal bar, etc when the hunger hits and then i'll be good for a few hours, rinse/repeat. I've also found a tablespoon of natural peanut butter on a single piece of whole wheat bread does wonders as well.

I'm trying to stay around the 1,400 mark myself and my diary is open so feel free to look at mine.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Are you only this hungry in the morning? Your breakfasts are pretty small, and seem lacking in protein and fat. I have that problem too unless I have eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, and I always have a morning snack too.

Also your vegetable and fruit intake is impressive! Keep it up :smile:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Your ticker indicates that you aren't looking to lose much. You should perhaps set your goal to losing only 0.5lb/week and see what calorie count that gives you.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Up your protein. Try changing your macro goals to 40/30/30 (carbs, protein, fat) and see what happens. Lean protein like chicken, fish and tuna will help keep you full longer and curb your hunger.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    also try greek yogurt for your snack 100 cal and 10g protein.... I LOVE the honey flavor!!!
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Try adding a fat source also, almonds, walnuts, avocados. Keeps me satiated longer.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Start your day pretty protein heavy. I either eat Weight Managment oatmeal or make "Egg Muffins" and a serving of turkey sausage that I just heat up in the microwave when I get to work. I will cook the egg muffines (you can put whatevery you want in them, recipes are every where online) and the turkey sausage the day before while I'm making my lunch.

Cereal NEVER keeps me full and the carb load makes me hungry soon after, wanting more of the same...
  • korton
    korton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You definately need to eat more. Exercise is the key!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I really think you're undereating. I agree that you should change your goals to focus on losing .5lb per week, you will still see some fat loss but 800-1000 calories a day is not manageable long-term and when you only have 3lbs to lose, it's more productive to think about how you're going to maintain your body in the long run.
  • honilee
    honilee Posts: 2
    Options
    Add more fat and protein to your meals. Try some breakfast meats or eggs for breakfast--maybe you'd enjoy a spinach and cheese omelette?

Also, do you think you might be experiencing some sugar crashes? I see a lot of carby breakfasts and fruit in the mornings.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I think you really are starving and not eating enough. In the end, not eating enough will cause you to stall and sometimes gain weight but you will gain fat.

I figured out what I need to eat daily by using my fitbit to track my daily activities. The more active I am in a day, the more I get to eat. It is seriously worth the money.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    You might want to try more protein, fat, and bulky low-carb fruits/vegetables.

I'm usually stuffed after every meal. If I get a hunger pang later, a small bit of fruit takes the edge off.

THIS^^^^

I scrolled through your diary and I see that you are eating a lot of carbs for all meals, and not as much protein and fiber. I am rarely ever hungry.

I eat 2 eggs, 4 slices of soy bacon, and a low carb/high fiber tortilla for breakfast.

for lunch I eat a huge salad with romaine, cucumbers, cheese, mushrooms, turkey....and lately 1/2 an avocado

for dinner I eat a normal portion of whatever I have made for the rest of the family.

I will eat an atkins meal bar or a metrx protein bar to boost my calories if I am munchy and I know my calories are low ( I like the ones that taste like treats)
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I can't help but notice you often don't log anything for dinner. Do you eat dinner? Is your afternoon snack considered dinner? A couple of days your calories were way under but other times they're right where they're suppose to be. Maybe the 1000 calorie days are making you extra hungry too, you should always be eating 1200 no matter what.

Also, I would try for more protein.
    I actually went in a few days ago and changed my meals to breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack and it changed everything up but I actually am eating breakfast lunch and dinner and snacks between.

Thanks everyone I believe everyone is telling me I might need to do more protein so I wil give that a shot. I actually am not a big meat eater and I am also leary of the portion sized on meat because 5oz of beef can rack up the caloies! I am going to just try adding more protein and if that still doesn't help I am going to keep in the extra protein and add some calories. I have already added calories once. I went from 1200 up to 1340. I might need to add more because even though I went in and changed my daily goals, everyone is right, alot of the time I am not meeting them and when I exercise it brings my net intake down even more. I am going to have to play around with it and work with it. Thanks for the help guys!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people see the wall message we get saying we've completed our diaries and are under our calories as an endorsement to regularly under eat below the levels we've been set - rather than trying to meet that goal.

I sometimes wonder if some people develop a guilt about eating at all and consider consuming fewer and fewer calories until it's just enough to survive - but not to thrive.

If you are truly hungry rather than just fancy eating then you really do need to be listening to your body!
  • melclare10
    melclare10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i usually eat a bowl of fruit with walnuts in the morning. The protein keeps me full and the sugar keeps me energized during my workout. Then i usually have a veggie burger which is packed with protein. I add loads of tomato, lettuce etc on top. If i get hungry between meals i throw in a salad and drink loads of water. Protein will keep you full. Just try different things for your body.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Protiens and good fats fill me up

things like
    nuts
    guacamole with red pepper strips or carrots
    small apple with some almond butter
    grilled chicken
    tuna
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I can't help but notice you often don't log anything for dinner. Do you eat dinner? Is your afternoon snack considered dinner? A couple of days your calories were way under but other times they're right where they're suppose to be. Maybe the 1000 calorie days are making you extra hungry too, you should always be eating 1200 no matter what.

Also, I would try for more protein.
    I actually went in a few days ago and changed my meals to breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack and it changed everything up but I actually am eating breakfast lunch and dinner and snacks between.

Thanks everyone I believe everyone is telling me I might need to do more protein so I wil give that a shot. I actually am not a big meat eater and I am also leary of the portion sized on meat because 5oz of beef can rack up the caloies! I am going to just try adding more protein and if that still doesn't help I am going to keep in the extra protein and add some calories. I have already added calories once. I went from 1200 up to 1340. I might need to add more because even though I went in and changed my daily goals, everyone is right, alot of the time I am not meeting them and when I exercise it brings my net intake down even more. I am going to have to play around with it and work with it. Thanks for the help guys!

You don't have to get protein just from meat! I rarely eat meat because I think it's gross and I get lots of protein in. Maybe find a protein shake or bar. Quinoa, edamame, Greek yogurt, and low fat cheese also can give you protein. I wouldn't worry about the calories of those items because it is the more calorie dense foods that will keep you feeling full.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein protein and healthy fats, they will keep you fuller for longer, you should aim to have protein with every meal and snack! (remember that MFP is always low on protein, so its fine to go over!)
  • HealthierAndFitterMe
    HealthierAndFitterMe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    maybe trying more fiber in your diet ? they say fiber keeps you fuller longer , but it will up in your carbs then . & i know when i first lost weight a year ago , i was extremely hungry all the time because my body was use to eating whatever it wanted & it wasn't use to eating more healthier foods . you stomach might just be getting smaller . they say the more you eat , the more your stomach grows , then when you start to eat healthier & restrict calories , it starts to shrink .