Just joined on Monday...looking for support and motivation!

Options
I'm looking to find people to motivate and support me through this journey...feel free to add me and give a little background to what your goals are!

I'm a 5'6" 228 lb 27 year-old female with a girlfriend, two dogs and a LOVE of baking. <<<Not good for weight loss!

I've been a bigger girl all my life and after my step-dad passed away unexpectedly in December 2006, I decided it was time to get healthy and in shape. I tried to start in 2007, but didn't do as well as I had hoped and gave into temptations. Besides...who had time to eat right and workout while working full time and attending school full time?!?! I was destined to be big. (This was my mindset!)

Then, in Fall 2008 I started on Weight Watchers and just with the change of eating habits I had lost 40+ lbs in about 5 months. I was doing some light walks, but no heavy cardio or weightlifting. I managed to get down to my smallest weight of 175 lbs...I felt good and I looked good...then came Summer! I stopped following the plan and started giving into my cravings. I then met my now girlfriend in September 2009...and it's spiraled down from there. Relationships are HORRIBLE for managing weight. :)

Over the next two and half years, V and I managed to pack on the pounds and I've ballooned to my now 228 lb frame. ICK!! I'm more determined than ever to lose this weight, get in shape and completely change my life. I just started my new life on Monday and have been tracking my food and exercise through MFP. I've signed up for a gym membership and have gone every night this week...and I've ENJOYED IT! Crazy. I have my first personal training appt scheduled for tomorrow...which I'm very nervous about, because he's going to kick my butt! I'm ready!

I look forward to getting to know some amazing people and the life changes they've made. Good luck and keep strong!

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Baking can TOTALLY be good for weight loss, you just have to bake the right things! And I have desert pretty much every night, not willing to give that up, so don't worry, it can be worked in :)

I added you!
  • justine0402
    Options
    What kind of modifications do you make to your baking?! I think my biggest problem is that I bake as a part-time job (baby shower cakes, wedding cakes) so it's not really just for me. :) It's for people that have ordered from me, but I do taste testing and sampling...no bueno! ;)
  • poetgurl2005
    Options
    I am a 25 year old mother of two. I have two little boys, 4 & 2 1/2. I go to school full time and I am getting ready to start a part-time job. I have also always been bigger. I got down to 160 before I had my oldest, but i gained 70lbs while pregnant and never really lost it. I got down to 210 and got pregnant again. I want to lose weight to be healthier. I don't want to be the "fat" mom. Plus we want more children and I need to be healthier before we have more children. I also love baking, and cake decorating. I'm happily married and my husband is fine with my weight but I'm not. I just think that 5' 6" and 240 is to heavy. I want to weigh around 140 but my goal right now is 180. I'm also looking for support.
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    Find low calorie recipes to bake for yourself. While making the calorie packed goodies for everyone else, make yourself a healthier version. It's actually better if you cook your own food verses going out, so at least you have a good knowledge base of foods in general. I think the eating out process is what has gotten us all in trouble!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What kind of modifications do you make to your baking?! I think my biggest problem is that I bake as a part-time job (baby shower cakes, wedding cakes) so it's not really just for me. :) It's for people that have ordered from me, but I do taste testing and sampling...no bueno! ;)

Ohh, haha, yeah, I could see how that could be a problem! I don't really make modifications, I just meant the kinds of things you bake - like, I love these: http://eatyourvegetable.com/vegan-morning-glory-muffins/ (though I use real eggs). But I bake the good stuff too, I don't like to deprive myself because I when I do, I tend to not want to stick with the "diet" (for lack of a better term) for very long.
  • justine0402
    Options
    Find low calorie recipes to bake for yourself. While making the calorie packed goodies for everyone else, make yourself a healthier version. It's actually better if you cook your own food verses going out, so at least you have a good knowledge base of foods in general. I think the eating out process is what has gotten us all in trouble!

I agree...the portions have gotten ridiculous for eating out. But it is all about learning the right way. Do you have any tips?
  • justine0402
    Options
    Ohh, haha, yeah, I could see how that could be a problem! I don't really make modifications, I just meant the kinds of things you bake - like, I love these: http://eatyourvegetable.com/vegan-morning-glory-muffins/ (though I use real eggs). But I bake the good stuff too, I don't like to deprive myself because I when I do, I tend to not want to stick with the "diet" (for lack of a better term) for very long.

Those look great! Almost remind me of the muffins from Mimi's! I'm definitely going to try them. Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • jackiefox1123
    Options
    I'm "kind of" new here too. I just use the site for the calorie tracking, but decided I need some support because I am getting no where! Anyways, I love to bake as well and do it as a side hobby also. I have found several ways to make my own desserts healthy, but you can't send a cake out without taste testing it first so it does get really difficult. I'll add you to my list, maybe you'll have some tips for the bakers arouns here :) Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome :-) feel free to add me x
  • ClareWhittaker
    Options
    I piled on 6 stone since meeting my husband so I know what you mean!! I have never been big either so must have really been packing away the food for the last 4 years to gain so much!! We also have the same height/weight so will add you and we can smash this weight loss! :)
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I have been on here for just about a month now, and let me tell you..I love it! Between the phone app and my computer, MFP makes it so easy to track things.
    I also struggle with my weight sometimes---i've always used the excuse that I have a large frame---which I do somewhat (big shoulders and rib cage grrr ), BUT that doesnt mean i cant be in shape. So my mantra is that Fit girls look good naked--because I dont want to be skinny, i want to be fit.
    Food is my weakness simply because I freakin love it. So i got on here and am steadily working towards my goal of losing pounds! i love all the encouragement and i try my best to encourage everyone else too. Its amazing how many things ive learned from reading the forums and talking to people. Feel free to add me!

PS. the only baking tip i know is to replace oil with applesauce and its yummy!
  • MzGotItAll25
    MzGotItAll25 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    HEY. 25yr old, 3 girls, 10 year relationship, student, with FT job. Started at 251lbs, down to 239, goal is 180 or at least under 200lbs! I'm 5'5''..Feel free to add me!
  • justine0402
    Options
    Awesome! So glad you guys posted back! I'll definitely keep on track with all those eyes watching me. ;)