Knee Pain-No Insurance

Options
I just completed p90x and started running. I tried to work through the pain but after my 3rd mile i couldnt go any farther. Im tough, I can handle hurt but its pretty bad. I dont have insurance...I started icing my knee for 15 min at a time and taking ibprofen. It hurts to run and walk...mostly on the outside of right knee. Any orthopedics with any advice? Ive had a lot happen lately and working out has helped me so much...I just want it better.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    does it feel unstable when you are walking/running? If it feels unstable, it could be an ACL injury.
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    It did but now it is mostly stiff to just painful...
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    I've been integrating long distance cycling (1-2 hours) and developed this same issue. The pain has crept all the way to my hip bone when I walk or move the joints. Is this similar to what you're experiencing?

Allow the leg to rest, as tough as the break may seem it could potentially preserve your muscle/ligament/joint.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    If the pain is ACUTE, then stop. You could definitely be causing more harm than good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    If the pain is ACUTE, then stop. You could definitely be causing more harm than good.

I second this. If you're feeling pain, you shouldn't go running. Let it heal or you could make it worse.
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    My hips dont hurt really...just from over compesating I think. I hope its something that will heal it self. All doctors I have called are 300 dollars just for the visit and an xray. Ive never been with out insurance before..Im just stuck in a bad way and working out keeps me going...This is just breaking me a little...Friggin knee..

Can my knee get better just from rest and ice?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Where on your knee is the pain (eg lower & outside ; behind the kneecap?) it could be an IT band issue, it could be a muscular imbalance (glutes & hips) or it could be a problem with ligaments.

If it's IT band or muscular imbalance you can do a lot of self treatment (ice, rest, stretching & exercises, foam roller) but no matter what the cause you need to give it a little time. Muscle soreness is normal, acute pain isn't.

Here's a link to some IT band specific stretches and exercises. These helped me a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099

For glute & hip strength

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-13852-0,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-285--9915-0,00.html

If you're not already start doing core work (planks, bridges, superman etc) A strong core helps promote good form while running.

Get better!
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    And there is no pain when I bend it ...just running and walking...but I can lay down and bend it and its fine
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I really hope you get better. If running hurts, the of course you should stop until you fell better. Gotta love our healthcare system. I assume you're not poor enough to qualify for medicaid in your state??

Running form can have a LOT to do with knee pain. If your running and landing on your heel with a straight leg, then your knees have to cushion the blow which they are not made to do. Think about running and walking softly. Take small steps more quickly and try to be silent. Keep your feet beneath your body, bend your knees.

Like the other posters said, it could be an IT band issue which is also very common. The IT band attaches to the lower outside of the knee. If its tender at that point, you could have an IT band problem. Also common is weak glutes. You might look up information on glute strengthening.

My knee pain was caused by bad running form (major heel strike) and weak glutes.

If you can pinpoint where the pain is, the amature docs in the house might be able to give you more specific advice.

How much ibuprofen are you taking?? for me (don't sue me) 500 mg doses of perscription Naproxen (alieve) twice a day for two days stopped my knee pain that had been going on for amost two weeks. I don't know if there is any medical science behind this, but if I take a bigger dose even just once or twice, the pain goes away.

Lastly, check out some local urgent cares and see how much they charge. They would be qualified to look at you and could prescribe some generic stronger drugs that you can get at Target or Walmart for $4. Tell them you don't have a lot of money and they may be able to refer you to a free clinic around. There is free medical care available if you look hard enough. Calling local orthopedic surgeons probably won't work.

Good luck to you :smile:
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    no job if not try to go to your county that can help no income
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Get your shoes checked. I get knee pain when my shoes need replaced. If I change my running stride any it causes pretty bad knee pain.
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    Thanks for the help everybody. I do have a job and I am working really hard and getting myself in a better place in life and working out has been a major factor in my journey so the fact that it is interuppted kinda shook me up. Any thing else anyone has send it mine way
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. Different area of the knee. Mine's on the inside. No insurance even if I work a full time job. Sucks, big time.

Hope your knee is better.