Running's a Drug

Options
DG_Allen
DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
Hey People,

I've been running consistently again for the past three weeks after recovering from a bum ankle and I've noticed a remarkable uplift in my mood. My wife and I both think is a lasting runners high from the endorphins.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Whatever it is, I like it and I want more! Where's the needle!

Happy Friday :smile:

DG

Replies

• lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I run because of how it makes me feel the rest of the time. Happy, more energy, excited about life!
  • DG_Allen
    Options
    I run because of how it makes me feel the rest of the time. Happy, more energy, excited about life!

Exactly! It's so unlike me :happy:
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed it! Nothing beats the rush of endorphins after a run! Best therapy and anti-depressant out there!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    since i haven't been able to run for 2.5 weeks now i must be going through withdrawals because my workouts are no longer fun
  • DG_Allen
    Options
    since i haven't been able to run for 2.5 weeks now i must be going through withdrawals because my workouts are no longer fun

I remember having a few instances of major Mr. Grumpy Pants when I was down too. I hope you get better soon!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I went 6 weeks without running last fall, I was probably grumpier then than when I quit smoking.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    All exercise does it for me. When I couldn't work out, I noticed a big change in my mood. I tended to get weepy. I'm so glad to be back!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't run every day because I like to mix things up, but nothing makes me feel better than a good as a hard run. You know, the intense, focused, in the groove kind where my heart rate is up high. No other intense workout does this for me. It's my mental health prescription.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I usually get SAD in the winter. I don't when I'm running.

I know it makes me feel happier. It increases my sense of self-efficacy. It makes me feel good.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Running helps keep me sane. It improves my mood, my sleep, my mental function. I had to take 2.5 months off for an injury and was a complete ***** the entire time. My psychiatrist extols the virtues of exercise (in my case running).
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I get antsy when I don't exercise for more than 2 days.

Endorphin addict here!
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm not to running quite yet, but I have noticed this after a good hard (for me) workout. After getting my breath back, I'm in a good mood. Not to mention other happy side effects.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yep ... Running is totally MY DRUG.

Running gives me self confidence, makes me feel amazing and keeps my mood up.

I haven't been able to run in almost 2 weeks after developing "runner's knee" so now I'm in PT and I'm itching, no, yearning for my runners high.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It sounds wonderful!

Never been able to run, even as a teenager. My ankles and knees and back have never been able to handle it.

I have friends who run and they love the feeling.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running and can barely run a 10k..running is a lot like a very close play-off football game your team wins..you HATE it whilst it's going, but LOVE the glory when it's over.

I run because it kills me psychologically...so much so that my brain tires before my legs do.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have been nursing 2 bum ankles. Running was my drug of choice before this. I loooooove running. It shapes my body in a way that nothing else has ever done in the past. I cannot wait to get back to it. This time I will not be pushing myself too hard. I have been so jealous watching others running. Hopefully Sunday I will try once again to get my running groove on. I cannot wait!! It is such a great and very portable exercise. <3 running. Crossing my fingers in order to not injure myself again.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Not getting a run in today nor tomorrow wifes out of town no one to watch the kids allready bummed,
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The SO starts nudging my running shoes in my direction when I get grumpy, these days...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm.... endorphins *giddy smile*
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    I absolutely love to run! I have been doing it for almost 6 months now and I have run three 5ks and a Run Amuck race (with obstacles and PT stations) I am signed up for a 5 miler for July 4th and a 5k in August. I run about 20 miles a week and I don't feel right if I don't run.

It does give me a certain kind of high that nothing else can give me. I love the feeling of just being out there and knowing that I can run fast or slow, 1 mile or 7 miles. It makes me feel invincible! Woot!:glasses: