Bodymedia Fit or Fitbit?

Options

Replies

• pten0pus
    pten0pus Posts: 25
    Options
    As far as people who are taking the price difference into account, they can both be found on Ebay brand new for the same price. So, I'm ignoring that issue. I realize there is a monthly fee. But, you can also get a year subscription for 19.99 on Ebay. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck so to speak and trying to get as much info from as many people before spending the hundred dollars one way or the other.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    As far as people who are taking the price difference into account, they can both be found on Ebay brand new for the same price. So, I'm ignoring that issue. I realize there is a monthly fee. But, you can also get a year subscription for 19.99 on Ebay. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck so to speak and trying to get as much info from as many people before spending the hundred dollars one way or the other.

A girl after my own heart! ;-)
  • Heather_A
    Heather_A Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i was reading a review in Wired magazine about them. I have a FitBit so I was intrigued. I think the BodyMedia is a better tool with more flexibility.
    http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/04/reviews_bodymonitors/

Having used both the BMF and Bodybugg for about 3 years and the FB for 6 months I can tell you I much prefer the FB. When I first got my FB I wore both it and my BMF for a week to compare #s. They were close enough that I happily took off my arm band and have not looked back. The FB website is amazing and so much more user friendly. The community is 2nd to none and the fact that it links with MFP just clinches it for me. The BMF also has a monthly fee to use (unless you buy at Costco) and has an unsightly arm band that only looks good on those with perfect arms. I hated how it looked on my fat arms so much I'd never wear it during the summer due to embarrassment. Just an FYI
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Oh god, you wore that armband for 3 years? I wore it for a few months and couldn't wait to ditch it. I felt like it screamed out to people- "I need a device to help me manage my weight!" Or "I'm on house arrest."
  • sarahlou0811
    sarahlou0811 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the Bodymedia, but I echo what everyone else has said about the fitbit. I LOVE mine and don't know what I ever did without it. It is extremely motivating and the way it syncs up with MFP is really convenient too. I appreciate that it is discrete and nobody ever knows I am wearing it.
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I wear the BMF faithfully 23.75 hours of the day. I also have the optional display, which has to stay in communication with the armband- OR you can use an iPhone (which I do not want to have). The optional display is utterly worthless- it takes constant screwing with it to keep it in sync and I just don't have the patience to bother with it!

BMF has several drawbacks that I have noticed. One that irritates the h*ll out of me is that it registers all driving as exercise, so I try to drive only right handed to avoid the inaccuracies. If you are driving 20 minutes or an hour, it throws off your stats, so you either have to take it off to drive OR drive right handed only. Pain in the butt.

The other thing I can tell you is- it does NOT register exertion if you are horizonal, and it usually does not pick up my exercise bike exertions either. No kidding. I was on my pilates reformer yesterday sweating and puffing and it read- nothing. Ditto for the exercise bike. It does get the treadmill and all other activity that is upright. This also throws off your stats if you do any matwork and such. There is NO WAY to edit the information downloaded to add for exercise the monitor missed or the excess from driving with both hands.

The website membership is $6.95 monthly, and that is required to download the information from the device. It includes a food diary and it does monitor sleep quality. There are no message boards or interactive social/support areas.

I have been reasonably satisfied with the BMF- I doubt any of these things are perfect- but I do think next time I will try the FB. I have discovered that the social.support aspect of being here is worth it's weight in gold because it keeps me motivated and on task. I like that FB can interface with MFP- right now I am keeping TWO food diaries and it is truly a pain in the behind! :)

Hope this helps!
  • cupcakesnomore
    Options

The other thing I can tell you is- it does NOT register exertion if you are horizonal, and it usually does not pick up my exercise bike exertions either. No kidding. I was on my pilates reformer yesterday sweating and puffing and it read- nothing. Ditto for the exercise bike. It does get the treadmill and all other activity that is upright. This also throws off your stats if you do any matwork and such. There is NO WAY to edit the information downloaded to add for exercise the monitor missed or the excess from driving with both hands.

I read that if you put it on your ankle or calf (so it's not tight to cut off circulation) it will register on the bike. And if you take it off your body for more than a 1/2 hour while doing your exercises, you can edit off body. It's under calories burned when you drop it down.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Can either one be used while showering? I can't do short showers, unfortunately.
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I read that if you put it on your ankle or calf (so it's not tight to cut off circulation) it will register on the bike. And if you take it off your body for more than a 1/2 hour while doing your exercises, you can edit off body. It's under calories burned when you drop it down.

Great suggestions! Thank you so much- I will give these ideas a try! :)
  • Heather_A
    Options
    Oh god, you wore that armband for 3 years? I wore it for a few months and couldn't wait to ditch it. I felt like it screamed out to people- "I need a device to help me manage my weight!" Or "I'm on house arrest."

Well mostly for three years... it tended to not get used during the warm months when others could see it. ;)
  • Heather_A
    Options

I did wear mine on my calf when bike riding. It seemed to register ok, though the official word from the Body Media people is that this does not track accurately unless it is on a very specific area of your arm.
  • cubba213
    cubba213 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a Fitbit wearer, I do not use the wristband to sleep, I clip in on my nightie. I use the wrist band when I am going to swim so I do not forget to take it off...
  • Heather_A
    Options
    Can either one be used while showering? I can't do short showers, unfortunately.

Nope... and you can't put the BMF on until you are dry.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options

Not sure about the Bodymedia, but the Fitbit is not waterproof.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Showering is the perfect time to charge the FB. Assuming you are not doing a workout in the shower, it will still continue to calculate your calories burned based on your BMR.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
  • BigRob3
    BigRob3 Posts: 4
    Options
    Everybody is saying which one they like , or in most instances which one they have . I want to know the differences on both, which one is truly better and why ?
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit and love it. It makes me want to move more.

I googled the BodyMedia Fit. Just from the picture, I'd say no because I'd feel and look like a contestant on the Biggest Loser.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Everybody is saying which one they like , or in most instances which one they have . I want to know the differences on both, which one is truly better and why ?

I'm going to assume that very few people have both so we can only speak about the one we have. Any other comparing and contrasting we'd have to do through google - same as you.
  • honeythatsokay
    Options
    Thanks so much for this info everyone! I was contemplating the BodyMedia Fit but I think FitBit sounds much better now :)