Anyone have MIO heart rate monitor watch?

Options
I am thinking about buying a MIO classic heart rate monitor watch. I am just wondering if anyone else has one already and what you think of it?

Thank you for your replies,
Sarah

Replies

• ClarkOMan
    ClarkOMan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up on Amazon and watched a YouTube video about Mio HRMs. It looks like it works the same as the Sportline S12 I am wearing that I purchased from Wal-Mart for $35, except mine has an accelerometer / pedometer built in too. I really like mine, but I would be curious to know how it compares to the Polar brand HRMs and HRMs that use a chest strap. I found out the other day that mine doesn't keep track of calories burned while I ride my bicycle (only while walking / running). The Mio does look cooler though. Hope this helps.
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I have read different things about the mio... I was just wondering if anyone actually uses one. I would love to buy a polar, but unfortunetly the budget just isn't big enough :grumble:
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a mio stride and so far I like it. it has a normal watch function, step counter, calories burned during excersize and a timer among others. It does not have the chest strap for the heart, all that is in the watch. I like it so far the only thing not so good is it the strap is some plastice/polymer type thing and it has to fit snug. I do like that it asks for some personal info such as height, weight, gender and stride length. I overall like it tho. Hope this helps.
    kat
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input. I went to buy one at lunch time, but it will have to be special ordered in, so I am still considering...
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    I do not register on my MIO so I spent 150 on a polar with chest strap and I register. I would not use a MIO if I was taking my info seriously, its ok for beginners and or people who may not stick with working out.

My pers trainers do not recommed them at all and now that I have mine I would not either to my clients once I get certified. Polar is well worth the money. There are some Polar that are right around 100. Check Ebay.

This is my opinion. To each his own. I just like everything the Polar has to offer and since the MIO would not register my heart rate I could not track my info accurately. I keep journals and logs when I train and I prefer to be as accurate as possible.

The Polar also links to most gym equip by sensor.....thats cool....and it monitors your H-R with out you having to push buttons to get a new reading, it alerts you when you go above or below your target heart rate and it stores a weeks activities.

So in a nutshell.....a MIO may be great for you. Polar is great for those who are commited to their fitness as they are costly. In my MIO papers it even states that a small percentage of people will not register and get accurate reading with their product. To me its a hassle to make sure the watch is sittitng just so and also to have to press the buttons to get my reading.....I want to just look down and there is it. Some of the MIO's you have to moisten your fingers as you press the buttons to get the reading. Some of my readings when I got one said my heart rate was 220....hmmmm not likely. No I did not get a lemon because it works great for a gym rat I gave it to.

good luck....research both and check out ebay or even buy last years model. well worth the price!!

tammy
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    I just looked into the info on both watches....

MIO......bought at wal mart for less than 45 bucks no strap you have to push 2 buttons...to me is difficult when your hauling *kitten* in a spin bike or boxing

POLAR....bought from trainer for 150.00 this has a chest strap

ok.....You can get a basic POLAR from the site for 69.95 thats for the F1, an F2 is 79.95
    my F11 is now 179.95. The more they cost the more they do. Like I said if you are only in need of it for short term or you are not that serious into training buy less expensive.

you can get a MIO SELECT CLASSIC (the one I had) for 60 bucks, I got mine at wal mart (less than 45 bucks) and then ordered the Pink strap as I wanted pink and it was discontinued now they have them....BREAST CANCER pink.

keep in mind I bought them last year. I was cut a deal on the POLAR as its thru people I know.

Its really up to your needs and finances. I used mine about 2 weeks then bought the POLAR.