New Perspectives

Options
Hello! I'm new here at MFP, converted from Weight Watchers. I have a pretty good grasp on nutrition, and although I have a sedentary job I am USUALLY (much emphasis) good about building in exercise before and after work. So I've got the basics, and my problem is actually a crisis in faith-I simply cannot believe the weight will go away. I'm 26, 155, and would like to drop about 20 pounds. (Incidentally, I'm SO sick of people telling me "you're not a big girl! you don't need to lose weight!" punches holes alllllll over my resolve. Anybody else have this problem??) No matter how many success stories I read, I just can't seem to apply them to myself! So...I basically keep losing and gaining the same miserable 5 pounds. Any new perspectives out there??? Thanks!!

Replies

• Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My first thought when reading this was that it sounds like you need some motivation which may take some of the venom out of other people's opinions for you. Assess your goals (set them if you don't have them already) determine lbs to lose, types of changes you will make as far as food, exercise, etc. Write them down if that makes it more real for you then think of a reward for yourself. It's gotta be something that gets you excited. Set several small goals or one big one or both. Like if I lose X lbs I will buy a new outfit or when I lose X inches I will take a long weekend to that place I love, etc. If possible, find a friend with similar goals and/or surround yourself with positive people. Just my observations. Good luck to you.
  • tokes
    tokes Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi there - you sound as though you are exactly in the same place I was about 1 month ago - like you people would say "you dont need to lose that much" and i would drop and put on the same 4 or 5 lbs every 2 or 3 weeks. So whats changed............... well since the start of June i have lost 7lbs. Consistency was my biggest issue I would work out and diet like a demon and if i didn't see the lbs drop in the first week the bad habits would start to creep back in............ "well what was the point"... this time i kept the faith made sure i exercised out of my comfort zone and was completely honest about what i was eating/drinking. i also changed the way i eat aiming to take in the majority of my carbs in the earlier part of the day and lighter evening meals etc............. its seems to be working for me and more importantly my motivation is higher than its ever been,... I still have some way to go and am sure that i will have bad weeks as wella s good but I know that i have made a step change in my attitude that is going to get me to my goal (another 17lbs to go!).

YOU CAN DO IT - CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY!

I'll add you as a friend and we can keep each other motivated.