Too Fat To Parent

Options
http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/06212012-too-fat-to-parent-obese-man-denied-custody-of-kids/?scid=bcToday

I've read a couple articles about this man today and wanted to hear some thoughts on the decision that was made for him and his childrent.

Replies

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I agree that this ws the right decision. He still has a long way to go. But he thinks a hunger strike is going to make them change their minds? That really isn't the healthiest form of protest he could've chosen.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I agree that this ws the right decision. He still has a long way to go. But he thinks a hunger strike is going to make them change their minds? That really isn't the healthiest form of protest he could've chosen.

Didn't read, but a hunger strike? I'm a little twisted, but that's hilariously ironic.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Just read it. No, I don't agree with this at all. If he were 700lbs and unable to move, I would agree. But, he is 380lbs and can function in daily life. I think the judge's comment that "losing weight is a full time job and raising two children is a full time job" is absurd! I'm losing weight, raising two children, working full time, going to college full time....it IS possible to multitask. I feel bad for these children and I think it is terribly wrong to put them into the foster care system.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Just read it. No, I don't agree with this at all. If he were 700lbs and unable to move, I would agree. But, he is 380lbs and can function in daily life. I think the judge's comment that "losing weight is a full time job and raising two children is a full time job" is absurd! I'm losing weight, raising two children, working full time, going to college full time....it IS possible to multitask. I feel bad for these children and I think it is terribly wrong to put them into the foster care system.

Although it doesn't go into specifics, I think an important element is that the kids have special needs. The argument would probably be that if the father isn't doing a great job of taking care of himself, he might not have the capacity to take care of two kids with special needs. But yes, it does seem heart breaking. Maybe he can fix himself up and go back to the courts. (Really, it sounds like the whole family has challenges. Very sad.)