abs are made in the kitchen

Options

Replies

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting and fasted cardio have gotten me the best results in terms of abdominal definition. Check out Lyle McDonald's "The Stubborn Fat Solution" for some awesome protocols for getting rid of abdominal fat.
    You can not target where you are going to lose fat. Your body makes that decision for you. If you are losing abdominal fat, more than likely it's because you've lost most of your other fat already. For whatever reason, our bodies tent to hold onto abdominal fat longer ... given us wonderful phrase like, "hard to lose abdominal fat" or my favorite, "Stubborn belly fat". :bigsmile:
    That is partially true. Read up on alpha-1 vs alpha-2 adrenergic receptors and their role in preservation of "stubborn" fat. The use of alpha-2 antagonists when at very lean body fat levels in conjunction with appropriate workouts to stimulate blood flow and fat metabolism actually make a HUGE difference in rate of abdominal fat loss. This is not really "spot reduction" but simply allowing "stubborn" fat to be metabolized with greater efficiency.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I personally would not go to a personal trainer for dietary advice. They may have some training in food, but their focus is on how to work the muscles of the body. They are not a nutritionist.

"Abs are made in the kitchen" means, to me, that you have to get rid of the fat on top before you can see the definition under, and that comes primarily from diet. Eating fewer calories than you burn will lead to fat loss and you'll be able to see well defined abs (assuming you've been working those muscles! :wink: ) I don't think it's necessary to follow any sort of strict diet as long as you are under your calories and eating a basically healthy diet (lots of veggies, fruits, healthy grains, proteins, not a ton of processed food).

If you feel deprived, you're going to end up breaking and binging. Best case, you set yourself back a day. But more likely, you'll revert and start undoing your progress. Stick with a slow and steady diet that allows you some cheats and lets you feel satisfied while staying within your calorie allowance. If your trainer balks at that, fire her and find a new trainer!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Hey. I like this saying because it reminds me to keep my diet in line with my fitness goals! I just made the switch to "clean" eating. here's how i do it:

I go by the 80/20 rule. I shoot to have 80% of my calories come from clean foods and the remaining 20% accounts for the foods that I eat that are not considered clean. I'm keeping a blog on how this is working for me- please feel free to look at it! It lists the clean and not clean foods i eat each day, my macros, my weight, etc. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sarahkatara
    Exercise is still important but the bottom line is this- to see your muscles, abs or otherwise, you must reduce body fat. I know that right now, my abs are strong and *starting* to become defined, but once I lose the remaining belly fat that I have, my already-developed abs will be able to make an appearance!
    Keep up your hard work in both areas and things will even out! (Feel free to add me, if you'd like :flowerforyou: )

Edit to add- i haven't yet given up my starbucks and once-twice per week vodka. and i don't foresee that happening (at least the vodka part of it!). I've been consistently losing body fat, despite being on a plateau for several months!)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I personally am finding out it's a big combo of macros, creating a "large" enough deficit within cals and lifting. I haven't done a whole lot of lifting but I think it's definitely a component.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting and fasted cardio have gotten me the best results in terms of abdominal definition. Check out Lyle McDonald's "The Stubborn Fat Solution" for some awesome protocols for getting rid of abdominal fat.
    You can not target where you are going to lose fat. Your body makes that decision for you. If you are losing abdominal fat, more than likely it's because you've lost most of your other fat already. For whatever reason, our bodies tent to hold onto abdominal fat longer ... given us wonderful phrase like, "hard to lose abdominal fat" or my favorite, "Stubborn belly fat". :bigsmile:
    That is partially true. Read up on alpha-1 vs alpha-2 adrenergic receptors and their role in preservation of "stubborn" fat. The use of alpha-2 antagonists when at very lean body fat levels in conjunction with appropriate workouts to stimulate blood flow and fat metabolism actually make a HUGE difference in rate of abdominal fat loss. This is not really "spot reduction" but simply allowing "stubborn" fat to be metabolized with greater efficiency.
    I will certainly look into this. I for one would like to get rid of some of the more stubborn fat on my body quicker! Thanks for the tip!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i have heard this over and over again. that getting the defined abs i am aiming for comes mostly from how you eat, not by working out...... my trainer insists that to get abs i must eat super clean, high protein, low sugar, no bread but ezekiel and no dairy except cottage cheese. she claims i can not have cheat days/meals and cannot indulge.... i tried this for 5 weeks and while i seen some results i feel super deprived and this is not sustainable. and quite frankly i am losing my mind....SO if abs are made in the kitchen what does this entail? can you cheat/indulge and still get defined abs? or do you have to eat super clean and constantly stick to your calories and be super strict with your macros?

the foods are irrelevant but you have to be strict with macros and caloric intake... thats on top of having a good muscle building program... or fat loss program

when it comes to foods... technically people will tell you that if it fits with in your macros you can eat it (IIFYM) which is true.. however, foods that are labeled as dirty foods such as pizza are very fat AND carbohydrate dense, therfore cannot be consumed in large or even moderate amounts to fit it in reasonable macros which is why bodybuilders and just regular people trying to get lean opt for "clean foods" or "bro foods" such as chicken, egg whites, brown rice, oat meal, berries, almonds, eziekel bread, etc.. because you can eat these in a higher volume and will fill you up more and be easier to diet...keep in mind you have to hit micronutrient goals as well for fat loss and body composition. sure i can fit my macros in a day with 3 slices of pizza a poptart, and protein shake with a multivitamin (example) but the volume of food is so small id rather eat chicken, oats, etc to fill up my stomach.
  • Woolooloo
    Woolooloo Posts: 82
    Options
    You don't have to eat super clean, you are better off doing something that you can stick with. It might take a little longer, but at least you will get there and not give up.
  • wackyfunster
    Options
    I will certainly look into this. I for one would like to get rid of some of the more stubborn fat on my body quicker! Thanks for the tip!
    NP. I don't normally bring it up, because it's not really relevant for people who aren't already extremely lean (other than "stubborn" areas), and I don't like to confuse people here, but if you're at 8-9% body fat (or less) and still have poor abdominal definition (it's possible, I've been there), then alpha-yohimbine+fasted cardio is a godsend. Basically, due to alpha-2 receptor density in the abs, the normal process of fat metabolization is suppressed... you'll pull fat from EVERYWHERE else first. Alpha-2 antagonists just allow you to metabolize abdominal fat at closer to the same rate you pull from the rest of your body, which if you're already really lean means you can get huge results in a few weeks.

For women, the 'stubborn' areas are generally hips/thighs, so substitute 'abs' for 'hips/thighs' and 8-9% body fat for 18-19% body fat. Also, women tend to have an even HIGHER ratio of alpha-2 to alpha-1 receptors in those regions, which makes it even more difficult for them to lose weight there. That must really suck, because losing abdominal fat is enough of a PITA for me.

Lyle's book goes into a lot more detail on all of this, as well as creation/metabolization of fat in general, and specific protocols for losing stubborn fat. Definitely recommended reading.
  • wackyfunster
    Options
    NP. I don't normally bring it up, because it's not really relevant for people who aren't already extremely lean (other than "stubborn" areas), and I don't like to confuse people here, but if you're at 8-9% body fat (or less) and still have poor abdominal definition (it's possible, I've been there), then alpha-yohimbine+fasted cardio is a godsend. Basically, due to alpha-2 receptor density in the abs, the normal process of fat metabolization is suppressed... you'll pull fat from EVERYWHERE else first. Alpha-2 antagonists just allow you to metabolize abdominal fat at closer to the same rate you pull from the rest of your body, which if you're already really lean means you can get huge results in a few weeks.

For women, the 'stubborn' areas are generally hips/thighs, so substitute 'abs' for 'hips/thighs' and 8-9% body fat for 18-19% body fat. Also, women tend to have an even HIGHER ratio of alpha-2 to alpha-1 receptors in those regions, which makes it even more difficult for them to lose weight there. That must really suck, because losing abdominal fat is enough of a PITA for me.

Lyle's book goes into a lot more detail on all of this, as well as creation/metabolization of fat in general, and specific protocols for losing stubborn fat. Definitely recommended reading.

At the end, it just a simple 40-60mins program.
    It is, and you can find it on the net if you google around, but I like to encourage people to support those who actually contribute to the fitness world, and Lyle McDonald does in a huge way. Also, there is a lot of interesting info on lipogenesis that is hard to find, even in academic sources (our understanding of the ASP pathway of lipogenesis is very recent, for example). If you just want results, buy some alpha-burn, take 2, do fasted cardio (you have to be fasted with alpha-2 inhibitors as any substantial amount of insulin renders them ineffective). If you are obsessive and like to understand how everything works, buy the book :P
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have abs. I eat a lot of what I want as well. look at me diary! But I generally stick to a calorie limit 2500-3000ish. And I do at least 3 heavy compound lifting days a week. sometimes add in other things on the off days.

Don't forget genetics. everyones abs look different and fat piles in different areas.

Drop the BF% and exercise!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    i have read NROLFW. i hated the workout routine.... i may look back over the nutrition part. dont remember much on that. i just can NOT fathom eating all "healthy" and "clean" foods forever. thats just not possible. for me anyway. my trainer did say to eat two small pieces of dark chocolate on leg days and that is a good choice to fill a craving. but what about other things you crave and enjoy like cheeseburgers, pie, liquor, pizza, ect. i do make healthier alternatives but sometimes you just want the real damn thing

I think eventually with more and more clean eating you start craving less of those things. I'd never cut them out all together but at least, if you'er gonna have a burger, get a good burger not mcdonalds. If you'er gonna have pizza. get some homemade pizza from a good place. If you're gonna get ice cream.. get froyo it's practically teh same. Look into healthy recipes for pies like this:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/05/31/chocolate-chip-cookie-pie-without-sugar/
    or with sugar, it's still pretty healthy:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/

It's a fantastic deep dish cookie pie and it's practically healthy :) There are things in life that can be just as good in a healthier version and I think that's a better choice.

Liquor on the other hand.. I try to drink lower cal drinks, but I'd never give that up :P'

I don't have fully defined abs yet but I'm def starting to see them!!!! Idk if my body fat is going down, but I think it is since I have lost ~10 inches in the past 3 months but the scale hasn't moved at all. I'm down to a 24.5 inch waist from 26 in 3 months and havent lost even .5 lbs, so I think you can still lose body fat from heavy lifting and see abs even if you eat some junk. (ps I'm doing NROLFW, but not the meal plan, just the calorie goals and macro goals).

good luck!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think eventually with more and more clean eating you start craving less of those things. I'd never cut them out all together but at least, if you'er gonna have a burger, get a good burger not mcdonalds. If you'er gonna have pizza. get some homemade pizza from a good place. If you're gonna get ice cream.. get froyo it's practically teh same.
    There are things in life that can be just as good in a healthier version and I think that's a better choice.

[/quote]

i do try and eat healthy and clean and while i dont crave alot of junk i have pretty much cut everything out for 5 weeks and it is making me want these foods even more. i have no problem making the things i want healthier or choosing healthier options but by listening to my trainer i have cut out even the healthier options as well and i cant live like this!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned is that total deprivation makes me crabby and want to give up. I give into my cravings every now and then especially around TOM but the bottom line is MOST of the time, I do make better choices not only for my abs but for my health. I would go crazy if I couldn't indulge every now and then. I like having low enough body fat to see my abs yet I want to take my two kids out for ice cream and not just sip water, you know?

Add some foods back in and make adjustments as needed is what I would do. Only you know what you can live with and without.
  • Polebarbie
    Polebarbie Posts: 84
    Options
    My abs are ok and I eat crap. And I don't work them out enough so thetpy could be better so I guess it means if you have execess belly fat maybe cardio would help
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's all good. Eat whatever you want, and as much as you want. I've got the solution to your problem:

10d4859e.jpg
  • Polebarbie
    Polebarbie Posts: 84
    Options
    Lmfao
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's all good. Eat whatever you want, and as much as you want. I've got the solution to your problem:

10d4859e.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Find your own version of eating clean. It's disordered eating on the part of the trainer to tell you that you can eat only a certain type of bread and only cottage cheese for your dairy.

Listen to the success stories here and make your decision about what works for you. Good luck!