Natural beauty!

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
Instead of talking about all the foods we stuff in our faces, lets talk about the foods we can put on our faces (and hair and bodies....)

Natural remedy and beauty time!

I saw this recently, and can't wait to try it; its a lemon sugar facial!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vkCR2ZWAe4,

I also use olive oil and coconut oil as moisturizers for skin and hair.

I know there are a bazillion other tips and tricks out there so share yours!

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you mash up aspirin with honey it makes a nice exfoliator-- salicylic acid in the aspirin
  • _TWLOHA_
    _TWLOHA_ Posts: 26
    Options
    I wash my skin with lemon or line beacuse it makes it clow and the citrus acid removed oil. Then I'll use coffee grounds and olive oil to exfoliate 1X a week. Dabs of tea tree on my zips to fight bacteria. Honey and boiled oats and a dab of milk make a wonderful mask.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i had a site bookmarked, heres the c&p:

1) Powder Your Roots

If your hairline starts to look greasy, dig up a big, fluffy makeup brush, and dip it into a pot of loose powder. Tap it once on the back of your hand to remove the excess, then dust it over your roots. It mops up oil and blends into your strands, so no one will know you didn't shower.

2) Scent Strands with Perfume

Spray a light shot of fragrance into your brush's bristles. Run it through strands from roots to ends and your hair will smell amazing throughout the day.

3) Cure Calluses with Vaseline

Slather on the petroleum jelly, and put on socks before bed to dissolve tough calluses overnight.

4) Spot-Treat Smudges

Dip a cotton swab in eye-makeup remover, and trace it along your lids to erase any slipups or goofs when there's no time to redo your whole look.

5) Fix a Flushed Face

If you turn red and stay that way after exercising (like seriously red for hours, even though you're healthy and hydrated), take an antihistamine like Benadryl when you leave the gym to reduce redness.

mayo in hair.
    baby wipes to wash face fast.
    wash your hair with apple cider vinegar for dandruff.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I use a mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar as a cleanser.
    I blend almonds and oatmeal in the food processor as a scrub. (I've tried the lemon/sugar scrub, but oatmeal is gentler on my sensitive facial skin.)
    Olive oil and kosher salt for my feet.
    Sweet almond oil to tame my frizzy curls.
    Coconut oil for a body moisturizer (and it makes a nice personal lubricant.)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    after i finish brewing my tea, i rub the tea bag on my hands and face.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil as a moisturizer

I use coffee grounds and olive oil as an exfoliating body scrub once a week

I use a tea made from steeping apple cider vinegar, rosemary, sage and lavendar as a hair rinse. the vinegar adds shine, the rosemary helps bring out natural highlights and the sage helps to tea stain graying hair so they blend in better.

I make a facial mask out of honey, sugar and lemon
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Fantsatic!

@ Polly! I have heard of the aspirin one, haven't tired it yet though, how often do you use it, and what type of skin is it good for?

@ Perfect_100, The coffee grounds sounds smart! (and less sticky than sugar scrubs!)
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I exfoliate my face with salt or sometimes sugar. I also use extra virgin olive oil in my hair regularly and I rinse my hair with watered-down apple cider vinegar every month or so.
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    EVOO + Castor Oil OR Sunflower Seed Oil = amazing skin! It feels so tight afterwards and so clean! I do it once a week or more if I've been exercising like a mad woman and need a little clearing up :smile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    oatmeal and milk totally cleared my very acne proned friend's face. An art teacher just slipped a piece of paper to her one day with directions on it. She was utterly offended by it but it worked! It was a over night mask, so she had quite the nasty pillow for a while :P

vinegar and baking soda as a shampoo/condition.

Cold presssed coconut oil for moisturizer

I have bad reactions to bug bites and I tried honey the other day and it just left me sticky. I mixed up some baking soda and water just enough so it was gooy and it stopped me from wanting to scratch it. It may have been because the stuff is slightly exfoliating though :P I looked that one up online.

everyone should always keep baking soda and vinegar on them. It's great for antibacterial stuff like cleansing yourself and floor lol.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thank you guys I am loving these responses...

@Brandon, well yeah there are supposedly a lot of benefits for the skin from sperm, it supposed to be anti aging, got good protein levels, and there are labs working with it for skin care, but really, I'd rather have a honey facial than a sperm one, but feel free to knock yourself out with it! Must be nice to have it on tap!
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't used store-bought shampoo/conditioner in MONTHS and you'd never know the difference! I use a mixture of baking soda and water for a shampoo and apple cider vinegar and water for a conditioner. My hair loves me for it :D
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    bump for later ...
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    (:
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I mix honey and olive oil (equal parts) and use it on my hair. Wrap with a hot towel, let sit at least 30 mins and wash out.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    ya know those seaweed wraps we pay big bucks for?

here's my version of it, package of wakame, package of sea kelp ( both can be found at asian food stores) if dry, reconstitute it with water then blend in food processor. spread over body, ( my hubby and I help each other... xtra fun:blushing: ) let dry, then rinse! seaweed wrap for about a buck each ! :love:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    banana, yogurt, avocado, honey and olive oil blended till smooth and creamy is good conditioner for dry coarse hair

honey, lemon juice and turmeric is said to be good for fading dark spots. i've been trying for a few weeks so i'm not certain it works.

apple cider vinegar is good for restoring pH balance to hair.

egg whites as a facial is good for gradually reducing large pores

sugar+ olive oil is a really good exfoliator. i use it on lips (forget buying that super expensive lip scuff stuff), elbows and back of my feet when i dont have pumice available
  • Meg_78
    Options
    @ Laurej: I like that seaweed idea! Very smart and thrifty!
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    Check out my blog. I try to post something new every Fri. Yes I do use what I post. Enjoy!

I will also be checking out this post and reply to it as well. I :heart: natural skincare :laugh:
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    i had something i was gonna say.. but then i changed my mind because i am going to try to not be such a *kitten*. nope cant do it.. sorry i tried.. lots of semen.

I did some Google research on that a few weeks ago, and it seems to be a myth.

I've been using rice flour as a facial buff / exfolliator, and it is pretty awesome.