is this my fault?

Options
olivetree_
olivetree_ Posts: 75 Member
sooo... I'm a "Gubloid" aka a fan of Matthew Gray Gubler. I'm part of the Criminal Minds and Matthew Gray Gubler fandom and there's a huge difference between being in a fandom and being a fan.

Anyway, Matthew just released his brand new limited edition t-shirt, a "wearable drawing". He only sells them for 72 hours or until it's sold out. I missed his last one in December by an hour and I don't want to miss this one. But it was one of my best friend's birthday yesterday and I spent my saved money on her gift (my other best friend and I spent over $100 in total). I have two debit accounts, a chequing account for spending and a savings account for saving money. I would buy his t-shirt by myself but my chequing account now has $0 in it. My savings has over $2600 but I can't spend that because I'm saving it.

So I asked my brother. So I've been buying my brother gifts for his birthday/christmas/when I see something he'll like since I was about 11. And I have never expected anything in return from him. Also, I've never had a "real" job. My brother has a job now, he works one or two days a week and makes about $800-1000 a week. The shirt I want is $30 plus shipping to Canada makes it $39+. And then tax it's probably a bit over $40. I asked my brother and he said no (I was expecting it, but it was worth a try). He kept saying "Give me the money and I'll order it for you." I was kind of hoping he'd buy me it since he has a good-paying job and maybe he'd remember what I've spent for him (I say that not in a way where I want stuff in return for giving him stuff or that I buy him stuff just so he'll buy me stuff, and maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes I do want him to give me something. He's never given me anything for my birthdays or christmas, ever. And I don't expect him to but it would be nice sometimes -- I hope that made sense).

ANYWAY, my mom and my brother have been fighting a LOT more since he got back from Japan (exchange program) in 2010. My mom was considering military school and blahblah. And a few minutes ago they were both yelling at each other and my mom kept bringing me up and was saying things like "Listen, you idiot. Your sister was blahblahblah and she wants you to buy her something without needing something from her and you're being a ****ing idiot and blahblah" and my brother was like "**** you/shut up" and ****. And then my mom goes on to tell him he needs to move out soon because she can't deal with him anymore. And my parents NEVER curse. Honestly. But for about a year now I've been hearing my mom curse to my brother a lot and my brother curses to her as well.

And they're even fighting right now (no curses though thankfully) and I keep getting brought up. This whole fight and a lot of them start because of me and I'm not trying to start these fights and I'm not trying to do anything wrong.... And now my mom just told me that she doesn't want me to talk to my brother anymore because whenever we talk they end up arguing (even though my brother and I haven't gotten into an argument for like a month now).

I know this is a really scatter-brained post and I know a lot of people probably won't want to read it or care but I guess I just need to rant.

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Odds are, their argument goes deeper than you and a tee-shirt.
    -wtk
  • olivetree_
    Options
    -wtk

yes it does, but this isn't the only "heated" argument they've ever had and it always seems to come back to me no matter what.
  • dontwantausername1
    dontwantausername1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't want to talk to your brother anymore that is her choice, but she can't tell you not to. I highly doubt this is about your t-shirt. It's a lot deeper than that.
  • dontwantausername1
    dontwantausername1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    -wtk

yes it does, but this isn't the only "heated" argument they've ever had and it always seems to come back to me no matter what.

It sounds like from what you wrote that you and your mother are fine and the problem is with her and your brother. So, I don't think it's coming back to in an angry way.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    not your fault.

i can see how and why you feel guilty, though because you were brought up in the argument.

what does he do that he works 2 days and makes $1000 a week?
  • olivetree_
    Options
    not your fault.

i can see how and why you feel guilty, though because you were brought up in the argument.

what does he do that he works 2 days and makes $1000 a week?

He's an electrical engineer apprentice. He works on Fridays and Saturdays or Saturdays and Sundays from 6am to 5pm.