Super Dumb ? About Lifting/Calories

Options
Why does MFP only give extra calories for cardio?

I've been trying to not go over my cals on the days I lift, but it's hard b/c lifting makes me VERY hungry!

Can any of our resident experts explain why we don't get exercise calories for lifting when I know I'm working just as hard and sweating and (I'm assuming) burning calories?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Ah, this comes up now and again and is in the FAQ.

log it as strength training under cardio.

PS: IB4 someone suggests a HRM. They don't calculate right for this activity.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Meh, I dunno, I wear mine while lifting, whatever it records I record it and I have been seeing good results. There is research that states you burn more after, burn less during yada yada yada.

I don't think the HRM is 100% accurate but then again, what is?
  • johnnys30
    johnnys30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I went to fitclick.com to get close estimates for calories burned doing the exercises I do and then as mentioned logged it as strength training under cardio and manipulated the minutes to make it as close to my results from the fitclick website as possible.

For example my Mon & Fri workouts are about the same and estimated at 225 calories so I believe I log 41 or 42 minutes on those days.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    because there is too many variables. If you go under cardio and type in weight lifting there IS an entry. You won't get a TON of calories, but I get 5 calories per minute ( I'm 5'2" and 209#) for strength training....
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

Meh, I dunno, I wear mine while lifting, whatever it records I record it and I have been seeing good results. There is research that states you burn more after, burn less during yada yada yada.

Wear an HRM and convert gross calories to net calories via one of the many website converter pages that are out there. Webert, what makes you think they aren't reliable?

OP: You definitely need to up your calories if you're doing weight training, and you definitely need to eat within an hour of finishing any type of real exercise. After a weight training session, you need both you need carbs and protein. I often see a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein, but I know I usually up the protein side. After pure cardio, you can drop the protein and focus on getting carbs in.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options

Wear an HRM and convert gross calories to net calories via one of the many website converter pages that are out there. Webert, what makes you think they aren't reliable?

OP: You definitely need to up your calories if you're doing weight training, and you definitely need to eat within an hour of finishing any type of real exercise. After a weight training session, you need both you need carbs and protein. I often see a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein, but I know I usually up the protein side. After pure cardio, you can drop the protein and focus on getting carbs in.

Thanks for the constructive advice. Sorry to the poster who mentioned it's in the FAQs. God, you're obnoxious.

I don't have an HRM yet, but I should definitely make that my next purchase. This morning I ate a nut bar before working out, and ate breakfast shortly after. Most of the time when I go at night I eat a snack or light dinner before, and/or a snack or light dinner afterwards so sometimes I do go over my cals (as MFP calculates them) but I definitely listen to my body first and foremost and if I'm hungry, I eat, even if it means going over.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Sorry to the poster who mentioned it's in the FAQs. God, you're obnoxious.

No problem. Always happy to help.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks for the constructive advice. Sorry to the poster who mentioned it's in the FAQs. God, you're obnoxious.

[/quote]

That response was obnoxious! Goodness, wellbert answered the question - just also pointed out that it's in the FAQ, where many common questions are located.

You get your answer and have to reply with rudeness? Eesh. I agree with whoever up there said you need to eat more. Cranky.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

I don't have an HRM yet, but I should definitely make that my next purchase. This morning I ate a nut bar before working out, and ate breakfast shortly after. Most of the time when I go at night I eat a snack or light dinner before, and/or a snack or light dinner afterwards so sometimes I do go over my cals (as MFP calculates them) but I definitely listen to my body first and foremost and if I'm hungry, I eat, even if it means going over.

Without an HRM, you really have no way of know how many calories you're really burning. The estimates out there for '20 minutes of walking," etc., are really unreliable.

If you work out in the morning, and don't eat before you work out, you'll burn more calories. Not a ton more, but something like 5-10% more. Your post-workout meal is the most important meal of the day, regardless of when you work out. Always be sure to get in lots of calories, and keep in mind the carb to protein ratios, depending on if you're lifting or aerobicking (I think I just made up a word...)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have stopped logging each exercise. I go based on an estimated TDEE for my goal weight/activity level. Thats what I eat every single day. Its a natural built in estimate. I will begin to drop 100-200 calories from it as I reach my goal weight. I still log exercise, I just put 1 calorie.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options

[/quote]

That response was obnoxious! Goodness, wellbert answered the question - just also pointed out that it's in the FAQ, where many common questions are located.

You get your answer and have to reply with rudeness? Eesh. I agree with whoever up there said you need to eat more. Cranky.
    [/quote]

Meh...It's not the first time I've seen welbert be a jack. I guess I should have clarified it wasn't pertaining strictly to this post.