when do you workout?

Options
what time of day do you workout and what benifits/downfalls have you found come with exercising at that time.

i usually workout first thing in the morning after dropping the kids off at school. i find that by doing it that way it is out of the way and i cant make excuses later on to not go.

however something came up yesterday so i had to workout before dinner instead. i felt a bit more energized ( in the morning i train fasted as eating before gives me awful cramps and i refuse to wake up earlier to eat as i LOVE LOVE LOVE sleep) and afterwards i wasnt so hungry (after working out in the mornings i am starving). considering changing my workout time but i am worried that if i dont get it done first thing, things might come up, or i may find myself to tired at the end of the day to want to go.

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning... only on my days off (Sat, Sun, Mon). If I don't do it first thing, I won't do it.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    After work, between 4 - 5pm.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings before I go to work...as the day goes on I get more and more tired, so if it gets past late afternoon, I won't go. I like the structure of waking up, working out, cooking breakfast, and going to work. Help keeps me accountable. Today is my day off though, and I still haven't gone and it's 2:17 pm...not looking good lol
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I typically work out right after work, as there is a gym there. But this week and next week, my schedule has changed somewhat, so I am having to make adjustments and find my exercise in other ways. :D
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depends. I used to at night but havent in months. Now its either morning or afternoon. When I can fit it in (running/DVDworkouts)or when Zumba is scheduled.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    After work. I love sleep too much to get up any ealier than I need to.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Anytime I can during the day. Usually the afternoon though around 2pm =). I usually hope that my daughter is napping by then and it's two hours before my husband gets home. I like to exercise in private haha. I do do it when he's home if I can't find the time while he's at work =).
  • Selfmadepsyche
    Selfmadepsyche Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tend to work it into my day throughout. I get off the subway (I live in NYC) a few stops early in the morning and walk the remaining mile to work. I walk another mile the same way on the way home. At work I do exercises at my desk every hour or so, because I get really stiff and uncomfortable if I sit still too long. During my lunch break I walk another mile, usually. When I get home, I do bodyweight exercies for 20 minutes before my husband gets home. Then I'm done!
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I do my curves workout during my Lunch for 45 mins. Its literally 2 doors down from where I work! Talk about no excuses M-F and I am currently donig the JM 30 day shred which I do after dinner so around 8 or 8:30 M-Sat then I take Sunday off.

I feel so guilty and restless if I don't do it
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    At 5 or 5:30 am :)
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I normally workout after dinner and everything at home is settled which is normally about 8 pm. If I know something is going on I will try to wake up at about 5:30 am and do my workout before work.

I noticed I enjoy 8 much better. Once the day is done its easier for me to focus on my workout. The only drawback is that once I am done I am wired for a few hours so I normally go to sleep later than I should.
  • morgansmama
    morgansmama Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When my little girl takes her afternoon nap is when I run (around 1:30), and then I run again when my husband gets home so they can spend time together while I get in a more intense workout (around 5:30). I used to exercise in the morning and hated it. I didn't find myself enjoying it as much so I switched to later times and never looked back! :) Just gotta find the time that's right for you and something you can stick with!
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I do my cardio on my lunch break usually around 1:30ish and then lift after work around 5. I use to do my cardio first thing in the morning before I had my child and could wake up at 5 no problem and go to the gym, but now I love my sleep way tooo much!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I workout in the early morning - GET IT DONE!
    And during the day I do others things play related like tennis, biking or whatever.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Weekdays, after work (7pm)
    Weekends, middle of the day
    Sometimes I ride my bike in to work, about 4 miles, between 7am-8:30am.
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    It depends, some days I workout mornings, most days it is at night
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It depends. On wknds generally in the morning but on workdays I tend to workout after work. It helps relieve the stress from my job. :laugh:
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can squeeze it in. I prefer first thing in the am (I seriously think it helps me control my appetite!) but if I have to later in the day I will
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    when i have time. i would love to workout in the mornings..but the fact that i have hypothyroid..and thinking my meds have to be re-adjusted..doesnt help.

M-F...I try to work out atleast 3 of those days once I get home about 5
    Saturday-mid morning
    Sunday..nope..church and family!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    5a.m.
    Benifit Gym is empty
    downfall - it's 5a.m.

I have to be at work by 7, and i'm in school studying architecture I go straight from work and usually don't get home till after 9pm. Then i'm loaded down with homework. The gym gives me energy to do all this, I believe there is no way I could handle this schedule with out my workouts.