results burning as little as 200-300 calories/workout?

Options
I use to workout and burn as many as 400-600 calories on a 1200-1400 calorie diet. I lost a few pounds, but now my weight has been stalled for over a month. I fear eating more calories, but I also feel that maybe this is the problem (not eating enough)? I know I should be netting 1200 per day considering that my BMR is 1400, and I burn a total of 1700/day just by living a sedentary lifestyle due to an office job.

I have cut down on my workouts simply because I'm slowly just adding on my calorie intake/day. But my question is, am I going to have success eating 1400 calories and burning as little as 200/day? The math says I will... but I just wonder if people near their goal weight (10 or less pounds) find success doing this?

How much do you burn during your workouts and how many calories do you eat?

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    hey!! i can probably help.... i used this calc to find out my intake per day http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    ...i current eat 1800-1900 calories.
    im 5'4 131 lbs.
    i workout 3-5 days a week. and i burn 300-400 calories per workout. i also have a desk job.
    im losing.

go by this calculator. if anything, id say take your bmr and then never net below it.

so in your case....if you burn 400 then eat AT LEAST 1800 so you net your bmr. trust me, i lost once i added more calories. i was starving my body before that, so it was hanging on to the fat!! (not to mention losing muscle)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am a 4'11" 120 pounds woman. I burn between 200-300 calories 5 times a week. I eat 1700 calories everyday.I am losing weight very slowly because I am working on the last few pounds.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am a 4'11" 120 pounds woman. I burn between 200-300 calories 5 times a week. I eat 1700 calories everyday.I am losing weight very slowly because I am working on the last few pounds.

Just as long as weight is coming off, I'd be happy. Are you losing .5/week? My goal is 1 lb/week, but I'd take anything I can get, .5 sounds a whole lot better than 0. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm losing my one pound a week just hitting my calorie marks and working out by walking 30 minutes a day. When I'm hungry - usually days I do a lot more gardening/carpentry/activities - I eat the exercise calories I want to without any guilt. When I'm not, I eat my calories.

The first month of weight loss is the easy to metabolize fat. Then your body has to work harder and eating your calories is probably more important.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hey!! i can probably help.... i used this calc to find out my intake per day http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    ...i current eat 1800-1900 calories.
    im 5'4 131 lbs.
    i workout 3-5 days a week. and i burn 300-400 calories per workout. i also have a desk job.
    im losing.

go by this calculator. if anything, id say take your bmr and then never net below it.

so in your case....if you burn 400 then eat AT LEAST 1800 so you net your bmr. trust me, i lost once i added more calories. i was starving my body before that, so it was hanging on to the fat!! (not to mention losing muscle)

My height and weight is somewhat similar to yours ... I'm 5'6 at 135lbs, and to hear that you're eating 1800, working out 3-5 times, burning the calories your burning, and losing weight is encouraging! Thanks so much for replying. :)
  • Richard323
    Richard323 Posts: 21
    Options
    Don't use what others tell you works for them, because everone is different.
    Here's the facts that are basic to every person in the world.
    Your body requires X to maintain Y...... B+X =Y Y-C= weight lost.
    X is calories, Y is metabolic rate to maintain, B is your daily burn. B+X gives you Y ......C= Deferred calories
    Y-C is your weight loss. Metabolic rate minus Calories deferred gives you weight loss.
    Most people know that.
    Here's the thing, metabolism= weight loss speed, and efficency of weight loss.
    Every time you eat, your body starts up your metabolism and burns fats, or breaks down ingested fats to store or use.
    Hence the reason people who eat to much gain weight.
    So, answer? Eat more, increase metabolism maintain excercise plan and see the weight loss.
    OR eat more often, maintaining current calories and back off on excercise.
    Your working your body into a comfortable groove, right now your body is at a place where it is "happy"
    and doesn't need to burn fat off, it just uses what your taking in very efficently as to maintain.
    So by kicking it up a notch and making your body work more often to digest the foods you intake, it will have to burn more fats.
    Providing the foods are low calorie and low in fat. Try eating a veggie salad about 20 minutes before a cardio session if your stomach and body can handle working out after eating you will see better results.
    I may not always follow my advice but it will work.
    The biggest thing to remember is that, you do not want to eat to little and work to hard as to put yourself in a "storage mode" I don't like the term starvation, as your not starving yourself persay your just not eating enough to satisfy your workout routiene.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone has to figure it out for themselves. I eat 1200 cal and burn from 400-900 cals in exercise 6 days a week. I lost ten lbs a month for 18 month (180 lbs total) The longest stall I had lasted for less than 5 days. I recently met my goal and am now upping the cals slowly to maintain. not sure yet of the right balance for me.