Running: Treadmill vs outside

Options
13»

Replies

• Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If you are going to run on the treadmill, set the incline between 1.5 and 2 to best simulate outside running.
  • FoRizzleB
    Options
    Outside! :wink: The scenery is sooo much better.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    No indoor tracks in your area?
  • ancia03
    ancia03 Posts: 43
    Options
    Treadmill when the weather is crap - like in the north east of England lol. Outside when it's ok
  • iammegs
    iammegs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you have to keep a specific pace, look up songs with that many beats per minute. I've used LoLo but also just looked up songs on my own - it really does make all the difference, whether you're running inside or out.
  • JaniceK73
    JaniceK73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Can't share any real pearls of wisdom that haven't been shared but am inspired by your story and wish you the best of luck!
  • Natsume
    Natsume Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am in the Air Force, and have to run 1.5 miles every 6 months as well.
    Here is what works for me:
    1)If on the treadmill, I have the incline no LESS than 5.0. This way I am running harder, and it makes running on flat ground easier. This makes the 1.5 mile run see "shorter," when in actuallity there is less incline.
    2)If outside, I ALWAYS have a heart rate monitor. I set it to beep when my heart rate is too high or low. It helps keep me moving with a decreased risk to hurt myself.
    3)Mix things up. Run outside (I am stationed in Tucson AZ, and the weather isn't THAT bad), sprint drills, ride a bike, go to kick boxing class (dropped a min off my time in a month surprisingly), walk, swim or roller blade. Depending on your weight, running can do more harm than good. Besides, mixing things up will also reduce repetative movement injuries (ex: runners knee.) I NEVER do the same thing. If on the tread mill, I do one of two things.
    -Set the incline to 5.0 and do what I call "sprint drills." Set the speed to something doable (5.4 at the moment), but hard, sustain it for 1-3 min., drop down to 3.0(speed), wait till my heart rate gets to the 130s, increase the speed to 0.1 higher than the last "sprint." It improves my speed.
    -Set the incline to 5.0 and each min increase the incline by 0.5. This simulates hiking. It improves my endurance, and I find it more enjoyable.

In all honesty, anything is better than nothing, and as long as your heart rate is in your "goal zone" you are doing your body good. I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    However the test is administered, train that way. It would suck to train on a treadmill and then have your test outside on a hot & muggy day, and not do well.

This sounds like good advice! While running on the treadmill may not hurt you, it may not adequately prepare you for running outside on natural terrain. Good luck either way!
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My elliptical is way off than running outside.
    I live in TX and it's HOT always. We wear shorts
    in winter. I used to run outside in the mornings
    but since I'm getting old my knees hurt. My BFF
    was nice enough to give me her machine. I miss
    running outside. I ran 8 miles every day in an hour and
    20 mins. Now it's 3 miles in 45 minutes on elliptical.
    Go figure
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Treadmills will help your cardio which is half the battle, but it will not condition your leg muscles the same way.

This explains why my first C25K run yesterday left me a bit sore...first time I've run outside. It was much more enjoyable than on the treadmill.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FoRizzleB
    Options
    :laugh: