Epic Fail...advise?

Options
Epic fail this last week. I had such high hopes, then life hit. I lost 11lbs in two weeks and was on a weight loss HIGH! On the weekend, I let myself be a little more loose, thinking Monday I will ramp it up (it was a celebratory weekend of completing my performances). Well Monday hit and I didn't ramp it up. Instead I went to my boyfriend's parent's place for two days. They don't eat well at all and I BOMBED! I couldn't help myself. Its like I got lulled into this safe zone where if they are doing it then how bad can it really be? Or I don't want to be high maintenance so I'll just go along. Then I felt like after the weekend and those two days that four out of the 7 were lost and I'll just start over on Monday. Now I'm depressed because its seems like this ALWAYS happens and I can never find a balance between enjoying life and losing weight. Its either obsessive or "starting next week". Thankfully, I have time to lose weight and look good (9mths within 20lbs of goal and 11mnths at goal or within 5lbs), but that's not the point! Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I can't help you but I wanted to reassure you that you're not on your own. After weeks of not losing, the scales finally showed a measly one pound weight loss today which was at least better than nothingHowever, someone brought cake into work for their birthday and one slice triggered a day's worth of crap eating. Why do we do it to ourselves?! All the very best with your journey x
  • jlreser
    jlreser Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know if you just don't feel comfortable with his family or not, but it's your life so if you have to be "high maintenance" then you need to be. Speaking from my own personal experience this past April, three weeks after I starting eating right for myself and my husband, we went to visit all of my family back in TX for a week and a half. I let them know up front that we were eating right and that they should eat as normal and I'd eat what I could when I could. That meant when they had pizza, I took off all the toppings. When they had fast food, I made sure I got salad with grilled chicken, no toppings, and I picked my own dressing. If these people care for you, they should in turn, care for your health as well and I'm sure they really wouldn't mind having a few things on hand for you when you go to visit, like Ms. Dash, fresh salad/lettuce fixins, or the like. It's not hard to have some chicken on hand, and I doubt they'd mind you cooking your own meal if needed. Just be honest with them about your journey and that you're not trying to change them, but yourself, and that YOU will make adjustments as needed, they need not work around you. If they refuse, which I really don't think they would, but, if they do (1) you don't really need folks like that in your life anyways (2) do a short visit and drive back home afterwards. THIS IS YOUR LIFE AND HEALTH...if they piss their's away that's on them, not you, but ONLY YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF YOU!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! BE STRONG!!! Hope that helps!
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :-) That does help a lot! I helps me realize that this issue is not just about my willpower but about taking control of situations and making them work for me. It's also about not apologizing for trying to be healthy and lose weight! Its a tough thing to do and I shouldn't just assume that they couldn't help but rather let them know and go from there. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it :-) Its a new day!
  • sa11yjane
    Options
    Hope today was a better day for you x
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that as long as you find that horse to jump right back on, you're ok. Everyone slips, it happens, but just remind yourself before you eat something not good, "why am I eating this, am I actually hungry, or is this just comfort of some sort? Can I make this portion of this crap smaller?"

I know what you mean about eating at other people's homes that are not eating as well as you would like! What I try to do, is eat a smaller portion of what they serve and fill up on water. Usually helps and that way, the water flushes the crap out later :wink:

good luck to you, just remember to keep looking for your horse when you fall :flowerforyou:
  • MHBishop
    MHBishop Posts: 1
    Options
    OK, sweetness, that is called LIFE!. Remember that it isn't one day or week, that will determine your health and fitness, it is a LIFESTYLE. While we were in Brazil I threw caution to the wind and ate the best that Brazil has to offer. I gained 6 pounds in one week! No problem. I get back to "normal" and keep my normal schedule of diet and exercise and...well I have already lost two of those pounds in three days. You have to love life and enjoy it. Just keep the "norm" your diet and fitness program. The "slip ups" won't become important unless they become the new "norm." Hang in there , Dolly. You and I didn't get to be this large overnight. It will continue to come off as you stick to your healthy lifestyle of nutrition and fitness. I'll be here cheering you on!
    Go, Dolly, Go!
  • ckeeney17
    ckeeney17 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have this problem too. What I've been doing is giving myself one night every week where I go over my calories anywhere from 500-800 and have whatever I want for dinner and dessert. I know its counterproductive but I find giving myself one dinner of anything helps me satisfy my cravings. Also I was having that problem where I would mess up and it was next week the diet starts. If you find yourself craving something, have a little right then and there to satisfy yourself. If you have to eat what someone else is cooking because you're there or they're taking you out then eat the healthiest you can but if you mess up it's okay. Try putting yourself in the mindset of after you mess up the diet starts now, not next week. Good luck !
  • EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've had epic fails that lasted years! This time I'm doing it differently: failure is a way to learn (can't learn to walk without falling alot--just ask a toddler); I'm in this for the rest of my life so I feast on feast days and eat modestly the rest of the time; and I'm looking at my expectations for myself in this journey. I don't diet tomorrow and yesterday is done and over with; today, this morning, that's all I can do. I log everything I put in my mouth here on MFP and I don't log exercise so I won't be tempted to eat back those calories. I'm almost to my first goal of 20lbs down; when I get there I get a spa day.

I know I can do this; I"ve lost 70 lbs (then gained it back) before. Now that was an epic fail!!
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up =) Everyday has a brand new morning to start fresh! I didn't do to good this weekend either and I knew I wouldn't because we went to the beach for the weekend. That's the way you should prepare yourself by saying "Ok, I have these plans for the weekend but I will get back on track Monday" don't try to plan every bite you will eat through the weekend or you WILL NOT enjoy yourself and it's not worth it. Enjoy life!
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! I took all the advice about the diet starts now and its a new day! Yesterday-not so good. I went to the fridge to make breakfast and lunch and I couldn't find the stuff I needed- it was gone! So I ate on the go- and we all know how bad that is! BUT this morning :-) Back on track! I realized my downfall is if I haven't prepared I feel like I've already failed and throw the day away. New thought process! Every time I eat something is the chance to start over :-)

Thanks so much!
  • sa11yjane
    Options
    Brilliant new attitude- keep it up!