Liquid diet :/

Options
Sooooo I'm going to get some wisdom teeth yanked out (2, one impacted) and will be off solid food for at least a few days. Any ideas for what I can eat? Other than smoothies? (I lived on smoothies when I got my first wisdom tooth pulled, gets old after awhile!!)

Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of mashed potatoes, protein drinks and over cooked carrots.

good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • 1Janie1
    1Janie1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've never actually had wisdom teeth pulled before but mabe mashed pototoes, soup, carrots and parsnips mashed together are nice, and I love banana mashed up with yogurt although it kind of looks like baby food! :)
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Soft green beans and carrots, sugar free jello, pureed bananas (banana icecream), frozen yogurt, sugar+fat free ice cream, yogurt. Best of luck! xox
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! Keep em coming!
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Apple sauce! And Pudding. Mashed Potatoes. It's pretty easy to find different soft foods to eat. I'm almost positive I could eat eggs too. But maybe that was after a few days.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Anything, and I do mean anything, you can put in a blender. My niece had jaw surgery and ate with a syringe for 8 weeks when her jaw was wired. It was amazing how creative she got with stuff.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    MMMMM...potato soup.....

Jello.....

Protein shakes....
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    When my brother hadhis out a few months ago we were feeding him lots of jello, pudding, ice cream, soup, oatmeal, and yogurt
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Oh I don't know why I didn't think about soup!! I love soup! Maybe cause its been hot out... Anyway soup is definately happening :)
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I work in an oral surgery office...we tell our patients who have any type of mouth surgery to eat lots of soft protein like tuna salad, yogurt, eggs, and so on because that will aid in healing. Just be sure to not drink with a straw AT ALL and do not swish liquids (hard) in your mouth or spit...it could dislodge the clot and give you greater chances of getting dry socket. Just gently swish <tilt your head back and forth w/out using your cheeks> and then lean over the sink and let the liquid drain out. Probably your dentist will give you some sort of oral rinse to use....if not you can use warm salt water. It works wonders!! Just don't use the regular mouthwashes like Listerine...they are too harsh and can do some damage to open tissue like that.

Use a spoon to eat your milkshakes/yogurt etc, and dont eat anything crunchy, crispy, sticky, or hard etc. If you are prescribed antibiotics <and even if not> it would probably be a good idea to take some probiotics <if you are not eating yogurt>. Soup is very good, just be careful and eat slowly.

Oh, and if you are given pain meds....eat something first if possible or take them with food. So many of our patients get sick off the pain meds and suffer needlessly because they didnt eat first or take with food.

Again tho, mashed potatoes, soup, yogurt, milkshakes, tuna or shredded chicken salad <no celery etc>, soft foods like fish, mashed or soft veggies <again even if cooked no celery!!!> are your best bet.

Good luck and hope things go well for you :) Don't forget to go to the recheck appointment after tho <if they schedule one>... its usually a fast look but its very VERY important to go, even if you feel fine and great.

BTW no celery simply cos it can still be rough to chew with the texture when you have mouth issues, and you don't want to mess up the surgical area. Carrots, potatoes, parsnips, squash....they all are soft when cooked so you should have less trauma and less issues eating them.
  • JoyBouter
    JoyBouter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I loved cream of wheat after I had my wisdom teeth out, also yogurt/yogurt drinks (think Yop) or flavored kefir are fantastic treats!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I ate pain pills and water when I had mine taken out.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Frosty! And milkshakes! Seriously, I was so wiped out that I think I lost weight even with the milkshakes because I simply didn't care to eat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I work in an oral surgery office...we tell our patients who have any type of mouth surgery to eat lots of soft protein like tuna salad, yogurt, eggs, and so on because that will aid in healing. Just be sure to not drink with a straw AT ALL and do not swish liquids (hard) in your mouth or spit...it could dislodge the clot and give you greater chances of getting dry socket. Just gently swish <tilt your head back and forth w/out using your cheeks> and then lean over the sink and let the liquid drain out. Probably your dentist will give you some sort of oral rinse to use....if not you can use warm salt water. It works wonders!! Just don't use the regular mouthwashes like Listerine...they are too harsh and can do some damage to open tissue like that.

Use a spoon to eat your milkshakes/yogurt etc, and dont eat anything crunchy, crispy, sticky, or hard etc. If you are prescribed antibiotics <and even if not> it would probably be a good idea to take some probiotics <if you are not eating yogurt>. Soup is very good, just be careful and eat slowly.

Oh, and if you are given pain meds....eat something first if possible or take them with food. So many of our patients get sick off the pain meds and suffer needlessly because they didnt eat first or take with food.

Again tho, mashed potatoes, soup, yogurt, milkshakes, tuna or shredded chicken salad <no celery etc>, soft foods like fish, mashed or soft veggies <again even if cooked no celery!!!> are your best bet.

Good luck and hope things go well for you :) Don't forget to go to the recheck appointment after tho <if they schedule one>... its usually a fast look but its very VERY important to go, even if you feel fine and great.

BTW no celery simply cos it can still be rough to chew with the texture when you have mouth issues, and you don't want to mess up the surgical area. Carrots, potatoes, parsnips, squash....they all are soft when cooked so you should have less trauma and less issues eating them.

I got a little curved syringe to rinse my sockets. If you get one, use it. It's awesome.

I had all four of mine out at once. I ate baby food for two weeks after getting mine pulled. I developed a hematoma on the inside of my left jaw muscle, so I couldn't chew or open my mouth without lots of pain. If you have any pain, don't eat solid food. It just isn't worth it. Trust me. Baby cereal and baby food was great, though it needs a fair amount of salt.
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had a dental surgery too and was on smoothy diet for a few days. You will see the post surgery is not so bad. I was eating oatmeals with a little extra liquid (water, milk, almond milk), and crushed berries. i love oatmeal. Soups are great. I do butter nut squash soop or roasted red pepper soups its awasome. Fish is great, its soft and easy to digest but has lots of nutrit. val. I think you will be ok...It will take only a week or two to heal just enough for you to to eat normal (maybe a little softer then normal) foods.
  • diabolotry
    diabolotry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had soups, yogurt and eggs. I was back to eating solid foods rather quickly, just a couple of days, but then again my oral surgeon told me I healed freakishly fast. I had my stitches out early.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    yogurt, eggs, mashed everything lol (sweet potatoes, califlour, parsnips) blend up some frozen bannans and strawberries it ends up ice cream consisitancy but takes a few minutes, soup, sugar free jello
  • tessiscruisen
    tessiscruisen Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It Took me some time to search and fine this thread (in the interest of not starting a "new thread" that has been disgussed before :)

I just had Periodontal (Osseous) Oral Surgery and had twenty stitches in my mouth. The first couple of days all I could eat were protein shakes (room temperature), apple sauce, pudding and luke warm broth. I thought after a few days (per dentist) I would be able to eat soft foods such as eggs, soups with noodles and rice etc.. so that I would get more calories... not the case for me. My surgery was 10/4 and as of today 10/9 I can't chew anything! I try and it feels fine at first but after a few minutes my teeth and gums begin to throb and burn... I haven't been able to eat more than 900 calories in a day because of the pain. Nothing can be too cold or too hot or my gums and teeth begin to hurt (and I mean bad), I can't take the pain meds at work so I have to utilize over the counter medications such as aleve and advil for the discomfort. I don't know what else to eat or do to bring my calories up... I am so very hungry, and I'm worried this will push me back in my weight loss journey.

If anyone has experienced this before or knows someone who has, I would greatly appreciate any advice I can get as to what to eat.
  • tessiscruisen
    tessiscruisen Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump