Thoughts on buying a bike?

Options
So I've thought about buying a bike now for the past couple weeks. I was just wondering on your thoughts about this. I do have a 1 year old daughter that would have to go along on my rides. My only thing is that theres only one trail in my town that I could go riding at. My neighborhood(and entire town) does not have any sidewalks and everyone here speeds and almost clips bike riders. Do you think this would be a good investment? Chime in with your thoughts. I'm just sick of riding a stationary bike and getting nowhere. For my daughter would you suggest the baby seat that bolts onto the back of the bike or the tandem baby tent thung you pull?

Replies

• shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bike and a baby trailer and my daughter, who is two, absolutely LOVES it beyond all belief. We live in a very weird area and so we ride right in the road with all the other cars. They either need to wait for us to go or they need to change their path. I find that most people will try to give you as much room as they can if they see you're pulling a baby trailer. I've noticed that while I'm driving and while I'm riding my bike. I think it's a good investment, just make sure to get (if they don't come with the trailer) those warning flags to make you more visible to cars. I've also got a red flashing light on the back of it so it's more noticeable. I wondered about getting a chair instead of a trailer and everything I've read said it's easier and safer to pull them in a trailer rather than on a chair due to balance issues and such, and in a trailer she can have a cup or toys or books or blanket. Good luck!
  • rberry89
    rberry89 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I thinknI'll give both options a thought. I just dont think I'd be comfortable riding in my neighborhood. Who knows. Ill just have to make up my mind. Lol. Thanks for your help.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i wanted a bike.
    it desensitizes lady parts.
    no thanks.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/science-scope/riding-bikes-harmful-to-female-sexual-health/12570

i still think it would be fun a few days a week though.
  • bp1984
    bp1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just got a bike for myself and one for my wife. We love them. Its a great no impact way to add extra cardio to your day. But with your conditions it really sounds like it would be a unsafe investment.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am always afraid for anyone with little ones on the road, in a trailer or running with strollers, etc, because car and truck tires can kick up stones. Even if drivers are giving you a lot of room, flying gravel or rocks is beyond anyone's control. Also, lawn mowers, if you are passing a house where someone is mowing. I had my passenger window of my car shattered while driving, from a rock thrown from a lawn mower.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    i wanted a bike.
    it desensitizes lady parts.
    no thanks.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/science-scope/riding-bikes-harmful-to-female-sexual-health/12570

i still think it would be fun a few days a week though.

That is really only an issue on a road bike or tri bike with especially aggressive or aero positioning. I get some chafing up-front with my road bike, but it has race geometry and a long reach. I have zero issues up-front on my cyclocross or mountain bikes, as they have me relatively upright. I get no pressure/numbness on any of my bikes. I also use a really firm saddle, so that my weight is resting on my sit bones and I don't have a bunch of padding or gel being displaced and jammed into my girly bits.

So, get your bike and start pedaling! :drinker:
  • rberry89
    Options
    We have two 3 mile trails in town that are designated for walkers, runners, and bikers that the city built for the town. I really wish the roads here are safer but I live in a Military town and everyone treats the roads as if it's a race track. I grew up in the country in California where it was safe to play in the street. I wish we had better options in my town. It's even hard to get fresh food in our town since a majority of everything sold here is frozen and or processed already. This town is not condusive to a budget friendly healthy lifestyle. Trade anyone?
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    If you are interested, check out my website: tinyhelmetsbigbikes.com. I ride every day with my two little ones on the bike (a 1 year old and a 3.5 year old). They love riding, it's safe, I get exercise, we all get fresh air, and we spend the whole time singing and looking for dogs/trucks/trains/birds/etc. There are many options for biking with a little one. I started both my kids riding about 6 months old (after talking with their dr.) in a trailer that had suspension. It worked really well. Now, I ride with both of them on a cargo bike called a Yuba Mundo (www.yubaride.com). It's made to haul a ton of stuff/kids/you name it! It's been a fantastic bike and we now use it as our main form of transportation. In the near future, it will be our only form of transportation as we will be selling our car.

However, if you want something to just start out with small rides around town, the biggest thing is to get a bike that is comfortable and that fits you. Try out a few different styles, maybe rent one for a week or so at a time. Don't settle for anything that you don't love just because of the price. If it's not comfortable, you're not going to ride. Maybe that's why some "ladybits" get desensitized. I ride hundreds of miles a week and my ladybits are just fine, thankyouverymuch!

If you have any questions about biking with children, contact me! I'm happy to help!
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I love bike riding. I think it's a fun way to get in exercise on a nice day, or really great if you're training hard. Since your area is so hard to bike in, do you have a college nearby you could bike around?? Sometimes campuses have bike trails around them if you're in the right area.
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always had trouble with numbness until I finally found a bike shop that worked with me to find the right saddle, handle bar height and bike height. I would ride around the parking lot and come back with my feedback, and they would make adjustments. Finally I was able to enjoy bike riding! Then of course it got stolen, and I couldn't afford to replace it.

I would have a hard time riding in my neighborhood like you do. My husband is a bike fanatic and he comes back from his rides complaining of the hazards. I think that biking is a good choice if you can find a few trails not too far from your house, so that you can mix it up a bit, and not get board with the one park circle.

As for the seat that attaches on the back, I was fine with my first baby, who would sit up and stay alert. My second baby would go to sleep and end up in the middle of my back. I would have to reach an arm around me to hold him on until I could get home. I think I would go with the tent thing!

Good luck.
  • rberry89
    Options
    We do have a local college in town but there are no bike trails since its inbthe center of our downtown area. There are a few other parks in town that i maybe able to utilize. Plus now that I think about it, since school is out here in town I may be able to ride around the schools since they are set far back from the road. My biggest concern is the safety of my daughter. So that will be at the top of my list when making a final decision.