Newbie needs help from the pro's

Options
I'm new and starting tomorrow, just wondering how you all use the menu planners. Do you plan your meal for the next day and print it or wing it and add everything in later in the day? Thanks, Erin

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I just kind of wing it if I know that it's pretty much in my calorie range and then I'll log it later. If I'm not sure about the calories, I'll check it in the database before I eat it (I use the phone app for that - the barcode scanner is great).

There are a lot of people who plan ahead and that works great for them...I have a hard time sticking to a plan so it's easier for me to log it as I go.

Just make sure you log everything....you'll be surprised at how much you are (or are not) eating.

You will probably have to try different things and see what works for you. What works for me may not work well for you.

Good luck!!!
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always plan the night before. Since I work full time I have to bring lunch and snacks with me so it's easier to just get everything ready the night before. Plus it helps me deal with unexpected food (birthday celebrations) that pops up during the day. When something like that comes up I have a decision to make.....have a piece of cake and not eat the ice cream I had already logged for after dinner or skip the cake and eat the ice cream. It helps me put a value on my food.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I typically don't plan. I choose what I want knowing that I'm going for high protein and lower calories. Then adjust the next day. Stick to plan (1200 cal and 60-80 gms of protein) but have occ'l cheat days. (ate out at cracker barrel and ended up having 1300 cal at one meal...thought I did better) Started over the next day.
  • mija029
    mija029 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i plan and sometimes i don't, if i'm going out to eat and know where i'm going ahead of time i will look over the menu on line and the look at the nutrition info so i know what to order before i get there and don't go over my intake... on days that i work i plan ahead and also pack my food ahead of time, if i'm off i just wing it :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I plan otherwise I munch too much
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan it. If you have to wing it, wing towards a grocery store like whole foods or safeway where you can pick up fruits and other healthy foods for lunch.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I somewhat plan... and I must cook dinner so I have lunch for work... I bring all my food. Its been 8 weeks and I have not spent any money at all during the week. Gave up Mcdonalds ( we have one NEXT DOOR to my office ) and my dear sweet tea.

I think its impt you plan until you get the hang of it. Logging seems hard, but its a way of life after you get through a few days.
    You too- will be a pro!
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try planning at first since you're starting from scratch, then if it's working you'll be able to better "wing it" later! Good luck!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this fr over a year. Planning is the best. Even if you have to go out, be sure to look stuff up before you get there. It's always good to know what to morrow's food is going to look like.
  • ErinEwalani
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Looking foward to getting started!