should I buy them or pass?

Options
On a local sale page a lady has these weights and bench up for sale at 100 OBO I posted asking how close she was to me and found out she is only about 15miles away so not bad at all and she said she would take 50.00 for them all without me even making an offer first so that made me alittle nervous as to weather they are worth much. I`ve never priced lifting items before so could anyone let me know if 50.00 seems ok for this set as a starter ( pretty obvious but I am female , 167.1 pounds 5`5 tall ) I have small kids so can`t always get to the gym to lift so if its a good deal on the set I`m going to jump on it lol

weights.jpg

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell. What are the weight plates? Weight, and material?
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Definitely pass. That thing is cheap junk. If you want a home gym, go for a power rack and free weights or join a gym where they have all the good shhhhh.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If the bench is in good shape, and you use it that is a good deal. Even if you want to buy new or different weights later.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    if I had the space, I'd go for those! $50 isn't a bad deal, when you get a bench with decent looking padding, and the leg lift lever and weights too. (not too sure what the gadget under the bench is)

If you're just starting you won't want/need the bigger plates yet. And if you decide to stick with it, you can buy more plates as you need them.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A) they are kept out side, so they are probably going to be dirty rusted and gross
    B) they look like cheap plastic
    C) $15 and no more!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I would say for the bench and being able to use when unable to go to the gym its worth that since it won't be your primary workout set most of the time.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish that was in my area! Even a cheep set in poor condition is more that I have currently. If I decide later on it would be worth replacing, than I will.
  • StratorTheAdmin
    Options
    if you want weights... that a good price. New it starts at 1$/pound
    but it all depends on your needs
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    If the boom box is included then I say go for it!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    thanks all for the imput
    I think I`m going to look at the bench alittle closer tomorrow to see the real shape its in ( I can always buy a new bench down the road I just want something cheap for now so if its useable yay kwim). I should have mentioned in my post that I will also be putting this outside on my deck so it currently being outside dosen`t bother me since thats where it will be here as well.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The weights appear to be filled plastic and I believe I see rust on the base of the bench. They might be storing that thing outside.
    I'd look on a couple sites like overstock.com, sears.com, and amazon.com.They will have bench/weight combos. If you go through Sears it can be shipped to your local store and you can just pick it up. Also overstock has minimal shipping fees for even large items. I'd compare those sites and go off that.

In 30 seconds of looking I found this http://www.sears.com/marcy-80-lb-weight-set-bench-with-butterfly/p-080W025375280001P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6
    A new bench and 80lbs of weights for $100. I'd take that over the craigslist one if you can afford it. There are more as well. Take a look.