what helped you??

Options
2»

Replies

• soymilkcoffee
    Options
    When grocery shopping, I made sure to do the majority of my shopping at the outer aisles, such as where the produce, meat, and dairy are. I avoid going to the inner aisles where most of the junk food lives.
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    agree with everyone else but like to add..having some wonderful MFP friends who helped me keep motivated!
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Besides MFP, what has helped me the most is my HRM. I've lost 10 lbs so far, and I still have more to lose. But being able to track my heart rate zone and calories burned during my workouts has been amazing. I find that I push my self a little harder, or maybe workout a few minutes longer when I see those calories burning on my watch! I absolutely love my HRM!
  • Spirtle
    Spirtle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Logging everything and really paying attention to what I was eating. Also, I started the Body by Vi diet. It is helping A LOT!!!
  • missxjuicy
    missxjuicy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Logging everything good or bad & staying under calorie goal. (cutting out juices & sticking to mainly water or crystal light. measuring everything/ keeping portions small. Not starving myself.. still have what I want sometimes just log it.

11662968.png
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know the biggest help was freinds and family joining and changing their eating habbits too. Most the peoople I'm around now are healthy eaters so alot of temptation is removed. This is a lifestyle change not a diet,
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Honestly what's really helped me is focusing on what I love to do and that is to run. Now I don't always like eating healthy but for the most part I do! All you really have to do is look into something you enjoy (some aspect of being "healthy") and the rest will follow.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Having a motivating group of friends on MFP :) They're the best!
  • bigjax1
    bigjax1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Logging all food and being honest about the portions.

that is the biggest thing you can do
    the support from friends is also a great motivator
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I try to burn between 800-1000 cals a day maybe more so I can actually eat more, but another trick of mine is substituting. Instead of eating a egg I use eggbeaters, instead of whole wheat bread I use lite whole wheat which is way less in cals. I try to stay away from starchy foods at most, my usual side dishes are cottage cheese n fresh fruits or either raw or unsalted can veggies. I use olivio spray and canola spray to fry my foods. Yes I still fry. :) I usually switch up my exercises too, not sticking to one thing, well, when I can. :) I think with most things its you gotta outsmart it.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Logging into MFP every single day and and not letting one unplanned bad day of eating turn into weeks or months of it. That was my biggest problem. Sometimes it will still last a few days but never weeks like it used to and end up undoing all of my progress.
  • PleasantRidge1969
    Options
    Weed and a 3 mile run at dawn. You feel so good the rest of the day that motivation is covered.
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Im still really new at this so I'm trying to get everyones point of view. I'm happy to say I have already lost 4 lbs! Just want to make sure I stay on track and do everything I can to lose. Thanks so much for the advice! Friend Adds and motivation appreciated!
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weed and a 3 mile run at dawn. You feel so good the rest of the day that motivation is covered.

You don't get the munchies?
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Consistency...Whenever I break my schedule, its a still a big set back...as long as I stay on the same path day in and day out, I do much better.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think there are a couple of things that helped me.

1. My husband. He pretty much hopped on my new eating/exercising schedule so that he wouldn't end up being my excuse not to. Cooking two different meals, for example, can be very difficult. He's also been super supportive.

2. I pre-log all my exercise and food first thing in the morning, sometimes the day before. It's sort of like organizing myself for the day. I know what food I need to take to work with me to eat and when, I know how much of my exercise calories I'm going to need to eat back, and when I prelog gym time, I know I'm going to go. I hate logging it and then having to delete it!

3. Pomegranate Green Tea. My secret weapon.

4. Staying away from fast food/most processed foods. Once I detoxed from refined sugars and fats, I found I didn't crave them anymore and it was much easier to say no to foods. Indulging even once would bring those cravings back, so I just said no to everything. I have Subway on occasion, but that's about it.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What has helped me this time around is realizing that it's not a diet. It's my lifestyle. I have been successful because I haven't deprived myself. It's all about moderation for me. I will keep the weight off this time because I can live the rest of my life this way.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Logging all my food has helped me tremendously! It's made me realize too many calories is just too many calories...it doesn't negate the surplus just because it was healthy food. Logging and MFP has really re-inforced it's all about 'calories in and calories out'!!!

Exercise has also been huge in keeping me motivated and inspired. I love to work out! Especially the feeling when you are all done...sitting there drenched in sweat!!!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    1) Weighing everything with a scale, not measuring cups
    2) Getting up and doing SOMETHING... going to the gym, riding the bike... just SOMETHING to get me out of the house
    3) Looking at old pictures of myself
    4) Any bitterness or anger I have and putting it to constructive use.
    5) Logging 99% of things that enter the mouth (I typically do not add condiments like ketchup or mustard)
    6) Buying functional but super cute workout attire
    7) Using a heart rate monitor
    8) Using the forums on MFP
    9) Not calling it a "diet". It's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. I need to learn how to fit all the things I love (beer, booze, pizza, ice cream, etc) into my daily life without ballooning in weight.