TOM - does your weight go up or down?

Options
Does anyone know how hormones play into it?

I've always gone up about 7 pounds that week of the month, today my weight went down 3. Don't want to get too excited about the prospect of things changing after all these years of dealing with it.

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I go up the week before, then lose a lot the week of if I'm working out. The gain is water weight, but I've noticed that some of the loss actually sticks after TOM is over... not sure why lol. It may just be the loss of water weight as well as any real pounds lost over those 2 weeks. But don't worry about a gain! :)
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Up probably because all those sweets i eat before it starts!!!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always go up 5-8 pounds, I guess my body needs the extra water and electrolytes!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    about 3 weeks before and the day i go off its bck to normal
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and it is definitely normal, it's the body's way of protecting itself against blood loss. You need that extra water, it is full of goodness :smile:
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When I still had a TOM I gained a minimum of 5 pounds. The most I ever gained was 10 but it was post surgery so who knows how many of those pounds were from anesthesia or water weight gain.

I don't have a TOM now BUT I STILL gain 4 or 5 pounds as if I'm going to...a real bummer, huh?
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Usually I gain about 1-2lbs the week before.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Took me a few to figure out what TOM was....LOL
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    A girls weight will go up close to their menstrual cycle, your body retains water to help with everything you are about to go through.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    I always go up about 3 or 4 lbs the week before and go back down shortly after it starts.