Improper wording...... i mean.... really....

Options

Replies

• focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people don't know how to use an ellipsis. I mean really. Is it that hard to only use 3 dots (periods)? Its not 4. Its not 10, It's effing 3!!!!!

Actually I don't really care, but if you're going to go off on other people, get yo shiz straight yo!
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I want to die when I see people misuse the words then and than and their/there/they're and your/you're of course, i have a disability that causes cognitive problems so one day I might be irking myself:( I'm already having problems (on and off) with spelling words that I have always known and I don't mean typos but actually having memory problems:( Sucks. The rest of you do not have this excuse!
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    the differance in how much fat weighs compared to muscle, is like the riddle I learned when I was working with children. What weighs more a ton of feathers or a ton of rocks? They both weigh a ton, but the feathers will take up a helluva lot more room.

My grammer and spelling pet peeves are many. I am guilty of making them as well so I am not going to mention any. (helluva) haha
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The....is great! Its the trail off....dramatic affect! :)

*effect
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people put more than one period at the end of a sentence..... Just one please.

Well, if it's three periods then it's an ellipsis, which is an actual punctuation. It's just that a lot of people use it wrong.

Technically, 4 can be correct as well; it's considered an ellipses followed by a period to end a sentence....
  • angeldaae
    Options
    I hate it when people don't know how to use an ellipsis. I mean really. Is it that hard to only use 3 dots (periods)? Its not 4. Its not 10, It's effing 3!!!!!

Actually I don't really care, but if you're going to go off on other people, get yo shiz straight yo!

Can we please add to this the need to use a dozen exclamation and/or question marks?

I see grown, educated adults - at work, no less - ending sentences like this!!!!!!! And I want to kill them in the face!!!!!!!!!
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people put more than one period at the end of a sentence..... Just one please.

Well, if it's three periods then it's an ellipsis, which is an actual punctuation. It's just that a lot of people use it wrong.

I do this. I use it wrong all the time.

But, I do it because I want to emphasize the pause in thought, more than a period would. I do this in conversational writing like forums or tweets. I would not do it in a professional setting.

ditto......... lol
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    their, they're and there
    your and you're

Yes, as a supportive site, we're (not were) not supposed to comment on spelling or grammar, but some posts are so poorly written that it can be hard to understand them. On the other hand, English is not their (not they're or there) first language for many of the posters here.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    oh.. but i do want to loose my weight..

i want to go out into the world, sew its wild oats, raise some hell, gain some maturity in the process and eventually settle down with someone else's loosed weight and then have fat fat babies

Actually, you would want to SOW your wild oats, not SEW. :wink:
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    This is an (OCD thread and no one is willing to admit it ...............
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A LOT. I want to lose a lot of weight.

ALOT is an imaginary creature that looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Best article ever!:flowerforyou:
  • angeldaae
    Options
    I love this thread for all the grammar fails while attempting to gripe about others' poor grammar.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Why is it LIGHTED when it used to be LIT and BATH, BATHED and BATHED, (bathed, being said as bath with ed on the end?)
    Also, to, too and two. There is another one, along the lines of Lighted vs Lit, but I am unable to think of it at this time.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ATTENTION: Neurotic and anal people. Chill. There are more important things to focus on.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I HATE the misuse of the apostrophe.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    This posting is in the "chit-chat, fun, and games" thread. It's not criticizing anyone in specific, so it's fun. As someone else said, the standards here are appropriately different from any writing done as part of one's job. I certainly make enough mistakes.

One I liked, that was in a professional setting where we were asked to list our skills, was that someone said "spelling and grammer"

A few more...
    sit, sat, set
    lay and lie
    weight and wait (Haven't seen that much here, but I expect it.)
    site and sight

Then there is the use of adjectives as adverbs.

The extra ellipses for "conversational" pauses don't bother me, and usually the lack of punctuation and capitalization on many post is ok, but sometimes it makes it hard to understand a post.

I like this topic A LOT. (tee hee)
  • angeldaae
    Options
    ATTENTION: Neurotic and anal people. Chill. There are more important things to focus on.

This is a matter of opinion. There are plenty of people here who believe proper grammar and spelling are of the utmost importance.
  • bigoboo1
    bigoboo1 Posts: 13
    Options
    ...... ,((( ))), !!!!!!!, " ". ????, <----, CAPS

I use all the above when I am typing. When I am on a laid-back-site, and can type without the corrections from a proffessor, I flow like lightening. I see typos on a daily basis, especially when it comes from a cell phone and it does not bother me. I think certain websites, such as Facebook, is a place where people free-type in hopes for a laid back conversation. When a person does not know the meaning/difference of a word, I keep my comments to myself, respond in a friendly manner, and maintain what I represent. Friendly people do not critize others regardless of an incorrect sentence. I know it can be irritable because I have a friend that texts me all the time and I scratch my head trying to figure out what he or she is trying to communicate. If I do not have a clear understanding, this is my response ((((Calling))))...lol. Actually, you can unintentionally hurt someone(s) feeling this way and they will think the worse of you. This is just my opinion, and I am not targeting anyone in this group!
  • cyn4him
    cyn4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your English major husband would be horrified at your improper and excessive use of ellipses.

You are correct. He gripes at me constantly. LOL.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't let it bother me.
    There are millions of people on here from all over the world and from various academic backgrounds.
    I'm not writing a paper when I post a message on here so if I goof on my grammar then oh well! I'm not perfect :)