What do you do if it's late and you're hungry?

Options
I typically don't eat after 8pm and it's not usually an issue. But at this very moment... I'm feeling a bit hungry.
What do you do when this happens?

Replies

• mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I would eat an apple.
  • rvrtplus2
    rvrtplus2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I feel I must eat this late then I will have some fruit and a cheese stick or veggies. Something light but filling enough so I don't go to bed with a grumpy stomach.
  • Young28
    Young28 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i would drink water and go to bed. But if this doesnt help...a little fruit wont hurt.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Eat.

Okay, more helpfully... check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/snacks-of-100-calories-or-less-267198
    Jeffdoc's started a list of snacks for under 100 calories. With his kind permission, I've created this blog entry that has the original 88 snack ideas with the additional ones suggested by others here. Over 115 now.
    Hope it helps! (Please give it a positive vote, if it's useful to you and feel free to add any suggestions.)
  • nyrican314
    nyrican314 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I just joined today and will start logging tomorrow. One suggestion is to drink water 1st and if you are still having hunger pangs, then a fruit is the best choice. When is this late I go and brush my teeth because that signals me to close chops for the night.:drinker:
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    FF Cottage cheese is a great bed time snack, sugar free jello too!

Though fruit is healthy, I would advise against carbs, especially sugar. Messes with your insulin levels and will effect your body's ability to burn fat as efficiently. But if that apple just sounds irresistible, then eat your apple. lol ;)
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Usually go to bed since I always have a craving just around 11 pm.
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    I make myself wait a set amount of time and then if I'm still craving I give in. Usually it goes away.

But not today! Tonight I realllly wanted french fries. I waited two hours, and now at 12:11am I am noshing on the 1 cup of baked fries I made myself.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I just have a small snack. Some cereal or fruit. Drink some water too to be sure you're not just dehydrated.
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I have been drinking lots of water, so I don't think that's what the problem is.
    I went into the kitchen in search of something good, when I came across the bag of hulled sunflower seeds... I felt like scarfing back handfuls of those, but I grabbed 8 baby carrots instead.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I eat.
  • MandiS80
    Options
    I figured out why I'm hungry. I forgot to have the smoothie I logged in my diary for before the gym. grr
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I drink water. Or have some hot tea.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten all of your calories already? If not, eat! It doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Peanut butter + spoon = happiness
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Haha new weight loss technique...log your food but don't eat it ;D I've totally done that lol.
  • MandiS80
    Options
    Have you eaten all of your calories already? If not, eat! It doesn't matter what time you eat.
    No, I'm way under... thought I was good before I realized I logged my smoothie and didn't have it.
    I've always been of the mind that it's bad to eat late. Even my trainer said don't eat after 8 because it will go straight to my *kitten*.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Eat something. As long as it doesn't make it hard to sleep eat whatever you want if it's within your calorie goal. Even if it's above sometimes. Being hungry is a sign that your body is...dare I say it...hungry.

Or try drinking a glass or two of water. Sometimes when you think you are hungry you might just be thirsty.

JMHO
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options

^This^
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The risk of logging before eating is that you'll forget to eat what you logged. The risk of eating before logging is that you'll forget to log it. :happy:

Eat something... you're hungry and under your target. If it makes you feel better, eat something light. At night, I like dairy-protein. You could have the classic, warm milk. I like cheese for late cravings.

Even if it is worse to eat late (which I'm not sure about, and there's mixed research), the calories aren't smart enough to target your hips.