Any girls go by themselves ?

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
I live in a medium sized town. It's about 50,000 people. I don't really have anyone to work out with. None of my friends are into fitness or paying attention to what they eat. There are a few biking and running trails around where i live but i don't know if i should do that by myself. I don't think i would feel safe. Both of the trails i have seen are in a wooded area and sure it looks pretty but safety wise not so much.

There isn't a really high crime rate or anything but i think i have just heard one too many stories of a girl being by herself and something bad happening. I'm really starting to consider taking a self defense class.

Any women on here who go out walking/biking by themselves ?
Is safety a concern for you ?
Is there a way you protect yourself ?

Replies

• indescribablesin
    Options
    My town is tiny and my road isn't busy, but I do go out walking by myself. I just try to stay far enough off the road so I'm out of grabbing distance of any cars that decide to stop beside me :)
  • mfoutch86
    mfoutch86 Posts: 87
    Options
    I don't do any workouts outside alone, with the exception of a one mile looped street next to us. We live in a typical suburb, and I'm sure it would be fine, but my hubby doesn't like the idea, so I don't do it. I certainly wouldn't run in the woods alone!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I go running pretty frequently at night where I live (just outside the city) and last summer I went biking almost every night. As far as safety, I think it's partly about how you carry yourself. You can't be afraid of where you live or you will never be safe going outside. You need to be confident in yourself that you could defend against someone if you needed to - if that means taking a self-defense class, take one! :)

There is always a chance something bad could happen to us when we go out into the world... but it's a chance we must take. I can't / won't carry a gun or a knife around with me every time I go out alone, but I do feel like I could fight a man off if I had to.
  • SeeJaneShrink
    SeeJaneShrink Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to go out by myself. It really just depends on the neighborhood. I've gone out with pepper spray and no music, other times with only my keys and a bottle of water. If you need to, it's a good idea to keep your music low (or off, depending on your neighborhood) and make sure you only run/bike/walk a familiar path. If you are very concerned, it's better to know where you're going and your route back.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    No way. I stick to a gym. For now. Our town has a gangbanger problem. Too scary.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    All the time. I refuse to be afraid. I'm not stupid. I don't have my music up loud and I'm aware of my surroundings. I think a lot has to do with confidence and the way you carry yourself.

Although I live in the suburbs of a big city, we have to be just as worried about wildlife as "bad guys". Bears and cougars are quiet so I'm more on alert for them when I'm in the trails near my place.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I walk & run in the undeveloped section of our neighborhood in the day & at night. It definitely crosses my mind as there are vehicles that come back in that section often... I ALWAYS carry my cell phone, always. And as soon as I see a vehicle approaching I call my husband and stay on the phone with him until they leave. I make sure to carry myself with strength & confidence. And I make sure to let the person in the car know for sure that I see them and aware of them. I've even stared them down with a stern look on my face... Lol. So far, I've been safe. But I try to avoid going at night.

Just always be aware of your surroundings. If you are in a remote, wooded area I'm thinking that's not the safest place for a woman. Carry a cell phone & mace, if not a gun or a dog.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes I run alone. I live in a rural area and usually go to a very wooded trail. I only worry about animals jumping out at me! Like snakes! Eek...that has happened many times! Not good!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    you could practice the right granted to you by the second ammendment. :)
  • Stephy_LP
    Stephy_LP Posts: 20
    Options
    I live in Austin, TX and ya i do go by myself but our city is like that. I don't go late so there are ppl always around.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I walk by myself all the time... there has been 2 stabbings, 4 confectionery robberies, gun shots and the bank has been robbed 3 times since I moved into the area...

I always make sure someone knows when I am leaving, where I am going (my exact route - how long it will take me to return - give or take a 10 minute buffer) and I let someone know when I return home. I also always have my cell phone with me - it may not do me much good if I am out cold but it has my ICE numbers in it.

I figure if I can stay in my house by myself all night I can go for a walk in the daylight..I do have pepper spray on my key chain as a just in case (it eases my families mind). I have actually met some very nice people in my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods.

I don't know if I would go into a wooded area alone... but I watch too many horror movies lol

If you are uncomfortable do not do it, ALWAYS... ALWAYS listen to your gut. Self-defense classes are not a horrible Idea, and I dont think they would ever be a waste of money.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Biking all the time in my (busy crazy awesome) neighboorhood and to the beach (san diego).
    But usually early morning (6-7 am), I feel safer that way !! and I always go with my cellphone too.
    And can not be too afraid, I leave by myself and my family is 10000 km away...

now I have to go surfing by myself !!!

good luck !
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I go out hiking, running, and biking (sometimes 50+ miles) on trails alone or around my neighborhood, routinely! I live about 25 minutes outside of Philadelphia which has a pretty high crime rate. I also have two smaller cities to the west and east of where I live, each about 15 minutes away, and I can't recall ever having an issue or a scare. Although it does happen, but pretty infrequently.

However, why not stop into your local police department that is responsible for that park. Ask them about the crime rate and any criminal activity they may be aware of in that park and see what they say about your partaking in an activity there by yourself. They may offer ideas or suggestions. Depending on the size of the city you're in and how busy the policie are, you may even be able to ask them if you could check in/out with them or see if anyone patrols that area and see if you can schedule your workouts there during that time.

I am in law enforcement and have to take defense tactics training each year as a job requirement. Thankfully I have NEVER had to use those skills on the job or off, even in my known "bad areas" while I am seeing my probationers/parolees let alone while I am off duty and exercising. In fact, I get hit on and harasses more at my gym than on the trails! Lol

Be mindful, don't wear ear phones, look alert, keep your eyes up and make eye contact with everyone you see. That will deter anyone from doing anything if there were plans for that kind of thing. Bring your cell phone and try to relax!

Be safe and enjoy yourself and the pretty scenery!
  • LittleTrish
    LittleTrish Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a buddy for going walking with or running or even to the gym. Im very self conscious and everyone I know is slim so don't really go to the gym. The gym I signed up to I really hate. Its full of young girls who seem to use it as a socializing hot spot and when you walk through the door it does seem like everyone is looking at me lol
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I go for walks/jogs by myself often. In fact, I only ever really exercise alone. I'm more inclined to be distracted if I'm with other people.

I live in a relatively safe area (although in the town I live in during university terms has been known for being dangerous when it's late), and I prefer exercising in the morning. It's safer, and I like to get it out of the way before the day kills my energy levels.

Feeling unsafe has never really been a problem for me, and I've been training in martial arts since elementary school. My friends like to joke they'd feel sorry for anyone who tried to mess with me xP
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If I'm biking, I don't worry about it. When I run, I do so in the daytime in relatively open areas where other people are out and about. Watched too many crime shows to feel comfortable running alone on trails!
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Take a self defense class anyways, you never know when you might need it.
    I go alone, or with the wife, if I can drag her out of bed.
    I live in the ghetto, but no one messes with me.
    The most I'll get in someone staring.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I used to. I'd go for a walk around the block or ride my bike by the river. Overall Montana is pretty safe. I even used to go at 1-2am when I got home from work in the summer. I always take a phone.

Now, I don't go because there are no sidewalks or anything where I live now, it's either neighborhood or the side of the highway.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    Im fairly young, and i live in a town populated of 19,000 people. I go jogging by myself, and i go to the gym by myself too. Even with such a small town, i still am very cautious. I think its safe to go to a gym or something, but i wouldnt go into the woods (: Just me though,
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    All the time! I usually take my cell phone and a pocket knife just for the hell of it, and I always bring my dog when I go off roads/hiking in the forests...that's just another motivation to get in shape; to be able to protect yourself! c: