week three - still no progress?

Options
13»

Replies

• lizzieliladunst
    Options
    Just now coming back to this.

Looking at your exercise and food log here are my observations.

IS the calisthenics your logging for the pilates you do? If so I feel that the calorie burn is way over estimated. I do pilates and yoga at the gym with a pretty tough trainer and i have used my HRM to get a more accurate burn and around what MFP says it is about 175-200 calories in one hour.

As for your food, although you are not tracking sodium alot of the foods in your log I know are VERY high in sodium, work on getting your sodium down to about 1500 mg a day which would mean you need to cut out any of the convenience foods and try to get in more veggies.

the calisthenics IS the pilates, but the reason i put it as that is because of the answer to the FAQ page on the blogilates site:

"How many calories do I burn when doing your workouts?

I advise going to sites such as MyFitnessPal.com, LoseIt.com, or MyNetDiary.com to track your calorie burn. Enter your age, gender, intensity level, and type of activity exercised. You can choose "calisthenics" or "advanced Pilates" for POP Pilates and "circuit" for any HIIT videos. You can equate my cardio videos to "aerobics". The reason why I cannot give you exact calorie counts is because everyone is different and will burn calories differently."

so i used that as a guide to what to put the exercise as. and since the "heavy calisthenics" examples were pushups and sit ups, i assumed the pop pilates would be in that catergory, seeing as i do pushups and what i guess are variations of sit ups.

as for the food issue, as i've mentioned before, i don't do the grocery shopping because i'm home for the summer, my mom does. and she isn't only buying for me. i can try to talk to her about the kind of food she purchases; but we have a really tight budget, no real "markets" around here, only the kinds of stores that sell this type of food, and all the veggies i eat (which are usually more plentiful than they have been lately, we've had a weird schedule recently) are all home grown. we usually have at least one veggie with every dinner. when it comes to lunches, i'm on my own and i don't really know how to cook. so i tend to just make due with what we have.
  • lizzieliladunst
    Options
    "eating clean" as described by Cassey Ho:

What does “Eat Clean” mean?

Eating clean means to eat whole, nutritious, unprocessed foods that are good for your body. This means cutting out anything fried and sugary. Also cut out any refined carbs like white breads, regular pasta and white rice. Stay AWAY from soda and be careful with fruit juices. They contain a lot of sugar. Instead opt for steamed veggies, whole grains, lean meats like chicken breast, and lots of water. You can find what clean foods I recommend eating under Cassey's Corner in "My Grocery Shopping List".

so, i don't eat fried stuff (usually we grill EVERYthing, though we have been eating out WAY more than usual due to some weird schedule we've had lately, however that is about to regulate again).

i've been trying to stay away from sugary, when i want something to satisfy my sweet tooth, i go to Simply Jiff creamy peanut butter.

i quit eating white breads, almost bread altogether because i HATE wheat bread, my mom has always cooked with wheat pasta and brown rice.

i drink water and skim milk, and very rarely a diet soda. period.

we always have some sort of veggie with our dinners, mostly homegrown, and my mom has been buying the leanest meats she can find, trying to help me out.

and as i stated before, when it comes to lunch i'm on my own and i can't cook, so when we HAVE it, i try to eat healthier things like soup or cereal (honey nut cheerios). but when it comes to the end of the week, pickings are slim and i have to make due with what we have (usually frozen pizza and easy mac).

now when we visit with my grandmother, it is a COMPLETELY different story, we all know how grandmothers can be with their cooking. and if i don't eat what she makes, i don't get to eat and i also have to hear about it for the rest of the trip.

as one more note, when i enter my meals, i can't always find the exact thing i've had, so i just try to find the closest thing possible.

if there is any advice or recommendations anyone would like to give me, i'm open to it.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

if there is any advice or recommendations anyone would like to give me, i'm open to it.

No offense or anything but it's already been proven in various studies that a diet made up of "clean" foods as opposed to a diet made up of mixed "clean" and "dirty" foods is essentially the same for the body.

You just have to focus on the nutrients. I'm not saying that equal amounts of Whole Barley and a Donut are equivalent, I'm just saying that you don't have to deprive yourself of anything.

Eat mostly "clean" foods and treat yourself with some snacks. Just make sure it fits your macros.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Based on the scooby calculator, and using 3-5 hours of moderate activity per week, I come up with:

BMR: 1518
    TDEE: 2353
    Cut 20%: 1882

So you should be able to eat 1882 calories every day (workout days and non workout days, just don't eat back any exercise calories - they're already factored in) and lose about 4 lbs/month.

So unless you're eating 600+ exercise calories on top of your 1200/day I'd say you're not eating enough.
  • lizzieliladunst
    Options

No offense or anything but it's already been proven in various studies that a diet made up of "clean" foods as opposed to a diet made up of mixed "clean" and "dirty" foods is essentially the same for the body.

You just have to focus on the nutrients. I'm not saying that equal amounts of Whole Barley and a Donut are equivalent, I'm just saying that you don't have to deprive yourself of anything.

Eat mostly "clean" foods and treat yourself with some snacks. Just make sure it fits your macros.

i do feel like this is a beneficial way of looking at it, because you're not going to binge on the things you crave. which i, personally, am very prone to do when on an actual "diet."
  • lizzieliladunst
    Options
    Based on the scooby calculator, and using 3-5 hours of moderate activity per week, I come up with:

So you should be able to eat 1882 calories every day (workout days and non workout days, just don't eat back any exercise calories - they're already factored in) and lose about 4 lbs/month.

So unless you're eating 600+ exercise calories on top of your 1200/day I'd say you're not eating enough.

thanks for this!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

thanks for this!

And for a place to log your stats (and get them and see them), since they will change and therefore that goal will change, try the spreadsheet referenced in this topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/620206-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-mfp-tweaks-hrm