Exercise slows down metabolism ?

Options
13»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this post seems to be at odds with your profile picture. can't tell which one is tongue-in-cheek
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This isn't rocket science and, I suspect, the researchers could have predicted the outcome before the trials were even done.

One a calorie restricted diet the dieter will lose both fat and lean muscles mass, the same with calorie restriction and cardio exercise combined (I noticed they didn't say how much protein the subjects were consuming as a % of intake). Fat and muscle are both metabolically active tissue (LMM more so than fat) so if you lose metabolically active tissue your resting metabolic rate will go down. (it's no different than the fact you need fewer calories as your weight declines). Hardly newsworthy........

This is exactly why it's essential for any well rounded fitness/weight management program to include a strength component. You want to lose fat while maintaining, as much as possible, lean muscle mass.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Research has shown that steady-state cardio slows down metabolism. Resistance training speeds it up. Yet another strike in favor of weight training for weight loss.

could you cite some of this research?
    On phone so pardon half-assed response. Quick google yields:
    http://www.korr.com/solutions/files/faq-4-3.pdf

Secondary source with tons of primary:
    http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

Will try and dig up the actual studies I was citing later if I have time.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

http://www.korr.com/solutions/files/faq-4-3.pdf*

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/**

* 800 cal liquid diet - what would you expect??

** a blog on a lifting site

These don't prove the "superiority" of lifting vs running it just demonstrates, once again, that the two need to be combined for any well rounded fitness program.

The loss of lean muscle mass on VLCD like to 800 cal liquid diet (can we say extreme?? VLCD) is well documented and of absolutely no surprise (except to those stupid enough to go on them or the doctors negligent enough to recommend them)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

http://www.korr.com/solutions/files/faq-4-3.pdf*

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/**

* 800 cal liquid diet - what would you expect??

** a blog on a lifting site

These don't prove the "superiority" of lifting vs running it just demonstrates, once again, that the two need to be combined for any well rounded fitness program.

The loss of lean muscle mass on VLCD like to 800 cal liquid diet (can we say extreme?? VLCD) is well documented and of absolutely no surprise (except to those stupid enough to go on them or the doctors negligent enough to recommend them)
    Ratio of fat:muscle loss is not determined by deficit, but by genetics, insulin resistance levels, and activity. (only exception would be large deficits in low body fat individuals where potential for fat metabolization in a period of time is exceeded, not applicable to someone who is 'overweight' and losing weight, but definitely to athletes who are cutting from an already lean state... in this study that is definitely not the case).

Edit: Also, I think resistance training being superior to cardio for weight loss (at least for the first ~3 hours/week of training time allocation) is pretty much not even debated any more. Cardio is better for people who have a ton of time, since you can't really train more than 3-4 hours/week on a deficit (or shouldn't, more accurately). If you have the time, why not do both?

Also, blog on a fitness site with 80 primary sources... I don't know what exactly your issue with that is. Find me another fitness article that is half as well researched.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm surprised this guy doesn't also sell cats.

Looking at his profile, this is a "celebrity doc" who is trying to make a name by following the standard template for this type of endeavor: write on topics that seem "controversial" or "outside the mainstream". He is also a low-carb proselytizer--not to dismiss low-carb, only question the credibility of those who push it as "True Faith".

His latest book: "Escape the Diet Trap: Lose Weight for Good Without Calorie Counting, Extensive Exercise or Hunger". All he needs is a "But wait....there's MORE!!" tagline and the informercial script is completely written.

Is it suprising that a guy selling a book that says you don't have to exercise to lose weight would write an article questioning the effectiveness of exercise for weight loss? (rhetorical question).

(I wouldn't go into so much detail about the background, except that he is the one promoting himself as "Dr Briffa, Expert". Therefore, it is fair to question his qualifications and credibility).

But let's look at the article on its own.

It basically is a rehash of an article written for TIME magazine about 18 months ago: Exercise doesn't burn that many calories, exercise increases appetite, exercise decreases metabolism, etc.

I'd be more impressed if the author didn't cite 6 articles ranging in age from 18 to 30 years. The article he quotes from (again, from another low-carb true believer) looks at 4 "metabolic studies" that are 20-25 years old and uses slanted and biased language--meaning it is not an honest effort to present science, but more of an editorial or polemic.

More specifics:
    When added to dietary change over the medium term (e.g. few months), regular exercise boosts weight loss by about 2 lbs on average.

Compared to what? What is the context? What are the other variables? No specific research is cited, just a number thrown out there. There is no way you can make a general statement like that and make it applicable to everyone.
    Let’s say you jog for half an hour and burn about 200 calories more than you would have burned sitting down. That’s obviously better than nothing, but this is not a ton of calories, and as there are about 3,500 calories in a pound of fat, theoretically you’d have to do 17 or 18 of those half-hour runs before you’d lose a pound of fat from your body.

This is another rhetorical trick: choose extreme values and represent them as the "norm". 200 calories for a 30 minute run? A 150lb individual running at a very modest pace will burn at least 300-350, after subtracting BMR. There is not one authority anywhere who claims that a 200-calorie exercise session is sufficient to assist in sustained weight loss. The ACSM recommends 1500-2500 per week calories per week.

Now maybe the point is that "you have to do extensive amounts of exercise for it to be effective". Well, no *kitten* sherlock. Losing weight requires substantial lifestyle changes. That doesn't mean it is ineffective. What else is the alternative? Sit at home and shove more doughnuts up you *kitten*?

The "exercise is no good because you reward yourself with food afterwards" is an equally specious argument. This is as much coincidence as cause. Exercise will not MAKE you eat more food. There is research that also shows that restricing calories is associated with a decrease is casual activity. Does that mean restricting calories is bad too?

If you aren't supposed to exercise and not restrict calories, pray tell, how does one expect to lose weight? Oh, I forgot--buy the book and get the answer. And eat low-carb. (and go on the "low-carb cruise").

And the final strawman argument:
    From our perspective, telling heavy people to exercise because it speeds resting metabolism (and thus markedly increasing one’s rate of weight loss) is about as credible as selling them the Brooklyn Bridge.

Well, that might be the case, if it were true. I don't know of any credible health professional making those claims, but I guess you have to make your own windmills sometimes.

As for the claims that
    when overweight humans do more than one hour of endurance exercise daily, resting metabolism on average declines between 5 and 15%.

no research is cited, nor the conditions under which the data was gathered. I have not seen studies that would indicate a drop in metablism SOLELY due to endurance exercise. And it's hard to imagine doing a study and having obese people perform an hour of exercise daily and not have them loose weight. So without knowing the methodology, it's difficult to evaluate this statement, other than to accept the author's credibility (which I have shown is seriously suspect).

The problem with articles like these is not that they are competely false: diet IS much more important than exercise, and exercise does play more of a supporting role in initial weight loss. Had he written a factual article that look at all aspects of diet and exercise (including resistance training and HIIT) and looked at the complete context (the critical role that exercise plays in keeping off the weight).

And from the last statement:
    My experience tells me that most bang for the buck for weight loss is had by getting the diet right. For me, that means a diet based on real food that it generally higher in fat and lower in carbohydrate than the diet we are traditionally advised to eat. The scientific rationale for such a diet is explained in my book Escape the Diet Trap.

it's pretty obvious the true purpose of the "article".

I get frustrated with stuff like this because it is intellectually lazy. It is nothing more than smoke and mirrors, designed more to obfuscate rather than educate.

There are legitimate issues about the role that exercise plays in weight loss. And some aspects of exercise ARE oversold and need to be challenged. Unfortunately, the poor quality of articles such as this make having an intelligent debate much more difficult.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    ^^ Amen.

I just have one question -- why cats?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    ^^ Amen.

It came up in another related topic.

http://adorablerags.com/DrB/Metabolism.html

Go all the way to the bottom of the "article" and see the link to "Dr Bailey's Adorable Ragdoll Cats".
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    ^^ Amen.

It came up in another related topic.

http://adorablerags.com/DrB/Metabolism.html

Go all the way to the bottom of the "article" and see the link to "Dr Bailey's Adorable Ragdoll Cats".

Thanks for the laugh. I'm off to eat small frequent meals in the sauna. I'll let you know when the cats arrive!