Exercising on consecutive days

Options
Hi

Just a question regarding exercise. I've been to the gym 7 days in a row this week, and I was wondering if it's detrimental to do the gym every day? I do different exercises, and when I use weights I alternate between upper and lower body on non-consecutive days and also do a class or two.

Will this hinder my progress or help it?

Thanks

Replies

• clairekeogh42
    clairekeogh42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Most fitness instructors recommend a rest day in the week, at least one, maybe two. I usually walk on my rest day quite a bit actually because my rest day is usually Saturday.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but if I was doing weight-will be soon- I would rest. I do walk though every single day no rest, no excuses. if it is nice I go outside. if it is rainy or too hot I have indoor walking Dvds. my theory is that walking is what we do as humans so why take a break from that. that is walking in addition to normal daily life activities like shopping cleaning etc...I don't count those as exercise.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    since i'm seated most of the day (12 hours or more!) i workout everyday
    depends what you do at the gym, i guess?
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Generally I do some form of HIIT for around 20 minutes, and then lift for around half an hour or so, alternating days between legs and arms. Tuesdays and Saturdays I do a power cardio class (which is actually HIIT with weights, just more intense).

My job is sedentary (research) so I'm sat on my backside for the vast majority of the day!
  • emhargs
    emhargs Posts: 63
    Options
    i think it sounds fine - if you are enjoying it then keep doing it, as long as you are not pulling up too sore, or getting run down etc. if i could do it i would, i get frustrated and feel slack when i miss a day at the gym - but ive got to balance the kids and family life.

i guess it depends on the intensity of what you are doing too. i think if you are working in a desk job, then its more than fine to do exercise every day. throw in a rest day when you feel like it, or when you feel like a break.