Weight loss vs Inches loss. Which is better?

Options
SO. Today after work I'm going to start that 30 Day Shred so I can look hot for the concert I want to go to in July. So I was wondering, which is better, weight or inches? A lot of people didn't lose much weight using the 30 Day Shred, but they sure did shrink! So..is weight not as important?

ANDDDD. For those who have done the 30 Day Shred, is it worth it? Will I really get results and lose inches/weight? I looked at Level 1 on YouTube and honestly, I've been doing a lot of those things except I used a machine ^-^" With the exception of those cursed bicycle crunches...At least they did them slowly! :D Thank you for all your help<3

-Kassie

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Well, how often do you write your weight across your forehead before you leave home in the morning? :wink:
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Inches, without a doubt.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Both are important. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Both are important. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

This.

If you take measurements though that can sometimes be motivation if the scale hasn't moved one week.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well, how often do you write your weight across your forehead before you leave home in the morning? :wink:

^^^ this is an excellent point!
  • rachelmarozzi
    rachelmarozzi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So many people have said "inches are what matter!" but I can say when you are morbidly obese you want to see pounds come off long before you are worried about inches. Once I'm down in the 100s, I think inches may matter a lot more to me than the pounds do now.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    All I know is when I paid attention to the lbs, I was skinny fat but when I paid attention to inches lost, now that's when progress was made. Good luck. :smile:
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    All good points. For anyone obese, 20-50% over normal weight, or morbidly obese 50-100% over normal weight, any loss is good....just get it done. Eventually you will start to re-composition, and the scale won't move, it is at this time when you want that tape measure to know that something is happening, and not to get discouraged. 30day shred is a good set....its not magic though and if you have a lot to lose, its just the start...
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Bottomline, for health, excess weight needs to shed. Technically, the scale is most important. That said, once and as the weight comes off, your body should be shrinking and so the measurements are additional proof of ones hard earned effort.

Good luck. You can do this!

-Debra
  • mandi2r
    mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me I wasn't noticing the weight coming off when I did 30DS but I did notice losing a pant size. And I'm pretty positve I gained some muscle there in my arm
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Losing inches instead of weight means you are replacing fat with muscle. The extra muscle will raise your BMR and allow you to burn fat off easier and faster. It's a win-win either way, but having a good amount of muscle is better for your health in the long run.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Both are good, but inches are better. Means your toning up.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred and lost 7lbs and 10.5 total inches.... mostly my arm and legs.... its a great workout....Jullian is no joke
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Losing inches instead of weight means you are replacing fat with muscle. The extra muscle will raise your BMR and allow you to burn fat off easier and faster. It's a win-win either way, but having a good amount of muscle is better for your health in the long run.
    facedesk.jpg
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Getting smaller and stronger and faster trumps the scale everytime. As fat drops muscle will increase. Focus on what you can fit into now that you could not before and how you have improved during the workouts. If you are really worried talk to a a diet professional on what you can tweak in your diet/ work outs so you get more the results you are looking for. but I still say screw the scale how do you look and how do you feel.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options

hehe...very true.

I agree with another poster, when I worried about lbs, I didn't see the results I wanted. When I gave up the scale and focused on other goals besides my dream weight, I not only lost inches, but was able to wear smaller clothes at a higher weight than the "skinny" version of myself...so take inches over lbs any day. People can rarely guess my weight accurately...but again, I don't go around with a neon sign flashing my weight. Also, if you are obese or severely overweight, the scale will follow later.

Good luck!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    neither?

initially, pounds matter. Believe me...i am super excited that the number on the scale is 19 smaller. Once you drop some of the weight, I think the measuring tape is more important. Why? because I am wearing clothes NOW that I couldn't wear several years ago when I was lighter than I am now. Obviously I have more lean mass now instead of the fat I had back then.

My final goal is set at 145, but I might not get there. According to some on-line body fat calculators, I may have 150lbs of lean mass!...So if I am 170lbs, but fit into a size 8/10, I will be just fine with that.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    facedesk.jpg

hahahahaha...fat cannot turn into muscle and vice versa...completely different things. But having more muscle and less fat = smaller you.

fatvsmuscle.jpg
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    So many people have said "inches are what matter!" but I can say when you are morbidly obese you want to see pounds come off long before you are worried about inches. Once I'm down in the 100s, I think inches may matter a lot more to me than the pounds do now.

I guess this depends on who you ask. I haven't once stepped on a scale this whole time but I do a happy dance every time I notice something I haven't worn in a while because it was too small, actually fits. I honestly don't care what my weight is because there is no one else that sees that number.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm into Level Two, so far I've actually gains 2 pounds, however, my arms, core, and legs are noticeably smaller and tighter. I'll measure later to see results of 10 days -- but 5 days in was a total of 3 inches.

I'm about 10 pounds over the upper number of my BMI range - I am good with that so long as I am fitting into single digit pants sizes -- and I am ALMOST there,