*Advice* about logging exercise for today!

Options
Today I will be walking around for about 6-8 hours. I am going to a convention, so I will be on my feet all day long. Would anyone log this in as activity? If so, how many minutes? I typically exercise about 3-4 times a week for about 30-60 minutes (Zumba, yard work, brisk walking). Thanks yall!!!!!!

Replies

• BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    "Convention" walking isn't really a brisk pace - but it's still something. Unless you have a monitor, you're going to need to guess - so I'd take half of your total time and call that a moderate pace. Wear comfy shoes!!! :)
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Personally, for ME, I wouldn't log it. I kind of see it as cheating when people log normal activities as exercise (washing dishes, mowing the lawn, etc etc).
  • undecided5
    undecided5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally, for ME, I wouldn't log it. I kind of see it as cheating when people log normal activities as exercise (washing dishes, mowing the lawn, etc etc).
    i see your point, BUT if they are not *your* "normal" activities, and you are being motivated to do additional chores as exercise, then I think that is very efficient! i.e. hubby usually mows lawn, but you decide to do it as a useful way to burn calories.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

But is walking for 6-8 hours a normal activity? I wouldn't say so myself
  • jooliem2001
    jooliem2001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would adjust my settings to an active lifestyle for the day and see how many extra calories that gives and go by that guideline. It's not exercise as such but you are (probably) being more active than usual.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Washing dishes in a commercial environment is a pretty high burn, at home, on the other hand, I don't recall breaking a sweat loading the dishwasher except for that time the AC was out. On the other hand, mowing the lawn is at least "walking, moderate pace" as are many other activities. It's not cheating, it's life. Exercise/Activity is not defined as Chronic Cardio. Someone suggested taking the 50% approach to calories expended, I generally also recommend that. If you are trying to burn fat, you will burn more in a 55%-75% HR Zone (as in walking at a convention) than you will in a 20 min tear on a treadmill at 90%. You want to burn fat, not burn out.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do in just that situation.
    400 extra calories.
    I had to find my various zones for things like this. After 3 years, I have it down to a science.
    Have fun:flowerforyou:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Today I will be walking around for about 6-8 hours. I am going to a convention, so I will be on my feet all day long. Would anyone log this in as activity? If so, how many minutes? I typically exercise about 3-4 times a week for about 30-60 minutes (Zumba, yard work, brisk walking). Thanks yall!!!!!!

what kind of convention are you attending
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I believe any kind of activity that you were not doing before but are now doing to
    surpport you new healthier you COUNT IT.
    There are ways to look it up on the internet
  • Romeena
    Romeena Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I always log mowing--it is a real burn. I am pushing mower, heart rate up for 45-60 minutes.
  • PiperMommy11
    Options

Why do you view what other people enter as cheating when it doesn't affect you? This is a pet peeve of mine on here. People griping about what others enter as exercise. I, for one, know what I normally do in a day and if an activity is against hte 'norm' of what I NORMALLY do... so i enter that as 'extra' activity. I have a FitBit now.. and it calculates burnt calories on EVERYTHING i do...
  • whitneyjadebanker
    whitneyjadebanker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would, because at my job I'm hardly ever walking around haha. I would log what it feels like, was there a lot of slow walking? Try to pay attention to about how much of the time you are actually walking around and just log as a slow pace.
  • LouisaMoo
    LouisaMoo Posts: 11
    Options
    I log anything that is unusual, so for instance a few weeks ago I spent an entire day walking round town with a friend, maybe about six or seven hours of walking. Normally I sit at a desk all day, so my activity level is sedentary and I log anything extra. If I had a job where I walked round for six hours a day, like if I were a nurse on a busy ward, then I would put my activity level up and not log it because it was normal. In your case, if the six - eight hours is unusual then log it, but be realistic about how much walking you're actually doing. I tend to knock an hour off at least to account for all the few minutes I stop for, and I try to remember accurately how long I spent standing still or sitting down.
  • jenjay76
    jenjay76 Posts: 42
    Options
    I always log mowing--it is a real burn. I am pushing mower, heart rate up for 45-60 minutes.

I always log mowing too and I walk nonstop in work for about 4 hours so I usually log that I walked at a slow pace for like 90 minutes. It is all exercise so of course you should log it. That isn't cheating.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options

I always log mowing too and I walk nonstop in work for about 4 hours so I usually log that I walked at a slow pace for like 90 minutes. It is all exercise so of course you should log it. That isn't cheating.

I log mowing also, this is an activity usually only done once a week, used my pedometer one day and found that to mow my yard is equivilent to a 2.5 mile walk. That is not cheating for a peson who normally has a sedentary lifestyle.
    Why do you view what other people enter as cheating when it doesn't affect you? This is a pet peeve of mine on here. People griping about what others enter as exercise. I, for one, know what I normally do in a day and if an activity is against hte 'norm' of what I NORMALLY do... so i enter that as 'extra' activity. I have a FitBit now.. and it calculates burnt calories on EVERYTHING i do...

^
    DITTO!
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For me being on my feet for 6-8 hours wouldn't be normal, so I'd log some of it at least. I'd probably log it as "walking, slow pace" and then for half the amount of time depending on how much you are standing still, so probably 3 or 4 hours.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go to the zoo or something that will result in me walking more than usual I log it as the slowest walking they have in the database.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a theme park where a lot of walking and standing in lines is required
    to ride on the rides while in the heat. There is nothing normal about that, so yes I counted it as
    exercise. I used the estimated time method the above person suggested.
    It is exersice, I was sweating,hot and tired and I felt like I had been
    to the gym! Happy walking!
  • tdemiter
    tdemiter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input!!! I logged 3 hours of walking at a slow pace.