Building up calf muscles.

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
I would like to add some calf building exercise to my leg routine, can someone please recommend some that don't require machines, I have access to free weights only.

Thanks

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Stand on your toes on the edge of a step, lower your heels then raise up on your toes, repeat. You can also do it one footed and/or holding your free weights.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Can I give you some of mine?

I have heard that calves muscles are really hard to build if you do not have genetic on your side. That being said, Rae gave you great advice
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting, deadlifts, squats, weighted calf rasis. weighted step ups. Keep the reps lower 5-10, 3-5 sets and keep adding weight. that will help build muscle, with eating

but if you just want to see the muscles all ready there you'll need to drop the BF% in your leg.

oh yeah^ genetics
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Can I give you some of mine?

I have heard that calves muscles are really hard to build if you do not have genetic on your side. That being said, Rae gave you great advice

This too. I have genetically huge (and well lopsided) calves.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks guys, genetics didn't favor me in the leg department, I got the skinny chicken legs going on, thighs have gotten better with all the squatting, but the calf's - though improving - need some attention of their own...

Yanicka..yess please! International delivery to Sweden ok!?
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Calves and forearms are the most genetic muscles of them all. Some people have em some dont. Ill never have good calves no matter what i do so i dont bother working them besides just walking around.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Calves and forearms are the most genetic muscles of them all. Some people have em some dont. Ill never have good calves no matter what i do so i dont bother working them besides just walking around.

Dang, Oh well, I'll give it a go, can't hurt, I think I have trouble with muscle gaining period, but I'm gonna keep going! :wink:
  • mr18actor
    mr18actor Posts: 480
    Options
    I use a leg press and between sets I keep my legs extended (not locked) and make it into a calf press. I try to vary my foot postion some to work each angle and to get all of the muscle to fire.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also have skinny chicken legs! I hate them! I have been trying to focus more on my lower half with squats, deadlifts, calf raises, etc. I think my calves are becoming more defined. I place two weight plates in front of me on the floor place my feet with toes toward each other heels out- do my reps, then feet parallel, then toes pointing outward heels in.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also have skinny chicken legs! I hate them! I have been trying to focus more on my lower half with squats, deadlifts, calf raises, etc. I think my calves are becoming more defined. I place two weight plates in front of me on the floor place my feet with toes toward each other heels out- do my reps, then feet parallel, then toes pointing outward heels in.

I forgot to add I do these holding weights. I suppose you could do them on the edge of a stair also
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Standing calf raises (on a block or a few plates, something elevated etc.) are best for building the "meaty" upper part of calf (the fat portion of the drumstick like shape or gastronemius if you are a nerd like me). Do sets with toes in, toes out, and toes straight...resistance would be best, hold dumbbells at your sides and aim for 10-12 rep sets.

You may hear people tell you that calves are "genetic" and that they need special high-rep/burn-out training, but honestly, calves are just like any other another muscle group except that they are small and don't grow as noticeably as say quads. Focus on hypertrophy reps (8-12 reps/set) if you want size in your calves.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Standing calf raises (on a block or a few plates, something elevated etc.) are best for building the "meaty" upper part of calf (the fat portion of the drumstick like shape or gastronemius if you are a nerd like me). Do sets with toes in, toes out, and toes straight...resistance would be best, hold dumbbells at your sides and aim for 10-12 rep sets.

You may hear people tell you that calves are "genetic" and that they need special high-rep/burn-out training, but honestly, calves are just like any other another muscle group except that they are small and don't grow as noticeably as say quads. Focus on hypertrophy reps (8-12 reps/set) if you want size in your calves.
    It should be noted that you won't be building ANY muscle while your in a calorie deficit. So, if you want to get bigger calves you better eat a lot more.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    regardless of the muscle group, doenst it take a fair amount of lean proteins and appropriate dose of carbs to build muscle?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    regardless of the muscle group, doenst it take a fair amount of lean proteins and appropriate dose of carbs to build muscle?
    Indeed it does. Especially if the lifter is experienced. New lifters experience newbie gains, but those wear out over time.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks again people, esp for the toe positioning info!

I'm still eating at a slight surplus and aiming for 1.5g protein per lean body weight a day, so hopefully I'll gain some muscle, otherwise I'll add a few more calories if nothing changes. I'm not here to lose weight at all. (I'm 105 and net 2000 cals a day)
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    don't forget sleep!