Why do you exercise?

Options
We all have different motivation for exercising. Some want to lose weight. Some want to gain muscle. Some just like to feel the burn. So I'm wondering, why do you exercise?

(I exercise to lose inches and to offset my calories so I can eat more... djm)

Replies

• Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I exercise to lose fat, gain muscle, gain energy, my overall health and it makes me happy!
    Im always more energetic and happy on the days I get in more exercise in the morning.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i love challenging myself and seeing improvements. it's the one thing where there's a direct relationship between how much work i do and how much i progress. i like that :happy:

also, i'm a former jock (played soccer, swam, rugby and track) so i've always loved exercise and i've always been exercising. even when i was gaining weight, my lazy average was 2 days a week
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    1. To look hawt.
    2. To eat more.
    3. To be healthier.
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    because diet alone doesn't work for me...if i have to loose weight i have to exercise.
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to be skinny.
    I want to be FIT.
  • lokin4deer
    lokin4deer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do it for my heart.
  • czuniga03
    czuniga03 Posts: 99
    Options
    I exercise to lose fat, gain muscle, gain energy, my overall health and it makes me happy!
    Im always more energetic and happy on the days I get in more exercise in the morning.
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Good stress reliever!
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to be skinny.
    I want to be FIT.

I love this!!!!
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    At first I exercised to lose weight, now I'm doing it to tone up :)
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    So I can eat and not feel guilty about it. And to be lean.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I exercise because it is good for my heart, it boosts my mood, and it accelerates weight loss efforts. Plus it gives me a firmer, leaner look.

Oh, and because I want to have it in me to push a 250 lb guy up a hill in a wheel chair or help move a 180 lb organ down the stairs (both of which I've had to do this month) or something else … It's good to have the strength to deal with what jobs life throws at you!
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    From experience, it helps me lose weight faster. Also, I like how I feel when I'm done working out. I think it's good for long term health as well.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    First, because it's fun, and I had to abandon the gym and all the dreadful exercises I hate.
    I just won't to weightlifting, resistance machines, jogging or indoor cardio equipment.
    NOPE!
    I'd much rather go out and play just like a kid.
    I mountain bike, play tennis, perform MMA, do calisthenics, dance and swim among some other things.
    You get the idea.
    Exercise is play - not work.
    That's what gets me going, and the challenge is not exercising but knowing when to stop or what days to rest.
  • DieselGrrl
    DieselGrrl Posts: 55
    Options
    Because it makes me feel good about myself. There is no greater feeling than challenging myself and pushing past my own expectations of what I can do. When I work out, I'm proud of myself after and that gives me the greatest feeling of confidence. Because I want to be strong and FIT, not skinny.

Oh, and to lose weight in the process. ;)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I can eat more! Haha, but really...for my health, the feeling I get, and to de stress!
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love the question and all the inspiring answers. I exercise because it makes me feel powerful and in control and for all the other reasons stated above.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Endorphins are so addicting. I may drag my feet going to the gym sometimes, but a lot of the time I'm genuinely pumped to be there, and I feel awesome afterward. I hate how much I sweat, but it feels so good. I feel like after I work out I can do whatever I want with my day. That's a good feeling, too.
    More concretely, I want to lose inches/tone (hency taking on the body pump class), and I want to lose more weight- despite the ridic amount of time I spend in the gym, I plateaued and now it's a struggle for even a pound.
    Also, exercise is good for me mentally, like therapy. I can focus on my issues when I'm on the machine and get my irritation focused on and solved or decide it's not worth it, but once the workout is over, the problem usually is, too. Whether I get to the "screw it, it's not worth it" point or just exhaust the topic in my head, it's done.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m55xibIp0B1rxjkvuo1_500.png
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    1st reason: Lose weight
    2nd reason: Look better
    3rd reason: Feel better
    4th reason: It's fun :)
    5th reason: Eat more!
  • snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i first did a ****ton of cardio and ate low cals to lose fat.
    now i hit goal weight, i'll be eating more to build my muscles.