Thai Food Help!

Options
I am having Thai food for dinner with friends tomorrow, and knowing which restaurant we are going to go to. I looked at the menu ahead of time. I know I am going to cut out all the noodle dishes, which left me with salad and some entree. I really don't want to go for the salad, because I like to have hot food for dinner, it's more satisfying and keep me full longer. I am also not going to order any curry since they all have coconut milk in them. The stir fry sounds decent, most of the ingredients are chicken with veggies and such...but I'm afraid they are filled with oil.

Please help and tell me what you know about Thai food! Thanks!

Also, which of the following choices sound more "healthy" to you? Which sauce is healthier--oyster sauce or chili sauce? Sounds like both are loaded with sodium.

1. Bangkok Garden BBQ Chicken (Grilled marinated chicken with Thai herbs, served with sweet & sour sauce)

2. Goong Oph Woonsen (Clay Pot)
Prawns with silver noodles, mushrooms, onion, cabbage and ginger in oyster sauce.

3. Chicken Vegetable Deluxe (Sauteed chicken and mixed vegetable in oyster sauce)

4. Garlic Chicken (Sauteed sliced chicken with garlic, onion, bell pepper, white and black pepper)

5. Smoked eggplant (steamed peeled eggplant, topped with sauteed chopped chicken, calamari, prawns and chili paste)

Replies

• kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Number 5? Sounds aweseome! :tongue:
  • CristinaMunoz
    Options
    I would say number four, Garlic is always healthy and since you know you are going out plan wisely with the food you eat throughout the day so you don't feel bad if you indulge a little.
  • Shelley130
    Shelley130 Posts: 142
    Options
    I would pick #4
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    They all sound good really and besides the sodium I don't think any of them would be bad choices. For the sodium you could always ask if they have a reduced sodium version. They may be able to use a reduced sodium oyster sauce? About the oil, I think it depends on what kind they use. In general, a lot of oils such as olive oil, canola oil, etc can actually be very good for you providing a healthy source of fat that your body needs.

If a salad doesn't sound appetizing to you what about soup? Or perhaps a different vegetable based appetizer? I don't know Thai food that well but you might be able to find something else on the appetizer menu that you would like more and that is still fairly healthy. Maybe some sort of shrimp appetizer? Also, splitting the appetizer would save on calories too.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    :smile: Ask if they can steam anything you get such as 3. Chicken Vegetable Deluxe (Sauteed chicken and mixed vegetable in oyster sauce), they will sautee it in oil if you ask for it steamed that will cut the fat and calories, and ask for no sauce or sauce on the side